Handgun Forum banner

Ruger or Taurus

14K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  SaburKolinc 
#1 ·
I'm looking at picking up two firearms this year for myself for handgun hunting. One will be for deer (.357,.44 mag), the other will be for small game (.22lr,.22wmr). I'm not trying to start a long winded debate on the two Mfgrs but, who do you think has the edge in accuracy and reliability.
For Ruger I was thinking in the lines of the Blackhawk/GP100 and the New Single Six. As Taurus goe either the 608 or the 444. My eyese are not what they used to be so I need to be able to mount scopes as well. Last year was my first year hunting with a Handgun and now I think I'm hooked for life. Thanks for any advice on this.

#2 ·
Ruger has a big edge. Get what ever you like with a 6" barrel .44mag for the deer. Get the .22/.22wmr for small critters. You grandsons will be hunting with them one day. They'll remember you as being a very wise man for having bought such fine guns that have lasted so long. Good luck.:smt023

#5 ·
Thanks all, looks like ruger has it hands down. Just one question though. I see you can mount a scope on the Single Six/Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk but can you mount one one the GP's? I don't mean to sound clueless on this but I have really very little expierence with handguns for hunting. As stated in another post I did take a deer last year with a (friends) .357 @ 60 yds with good results. Is the .357 a good choice or should I bump up to the .44 mag? I doubt any of my shots will exceed 75yds where I hunt at this time. The last thing I want to do is not harvest a deer cleanly and lose it.

#6 ·
Really either one will take out a deer within 75yds if loaded up right. You can put a scope on one if you wish. Your local gunsmith or shop can help you pick out the right one. I have shot a lot within that range and never felt the need of a scope but each to his own. Good luck.:smt033

#7 ·
grey-wolf,
I'll have to put in another vote for the Ruger. I've owned a Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel and it was the most reliable, accurate and easy to handle .357 Mag. that I've ever owned. :smt023

As for a .22, I suggest the Ruger 22/45 with your choice of barrel length. The 22/45 grip angle makes this pistol easier to handle. The one that I owned was very accurate and reliable. :smt023

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

#9 ·
Well I put a Ruger GP100 in layaway last week. Blued 6" looks nice. now I just gotta order some new grips for it. The grips that are on it are ok but i held a SBH that had the Houge mono grip on it and really liked the way they felt. They look a little funny but I don't care how it looks just how it shoots. Now comes the waiting game, I hate that part. 90 days and it will be all mine. Ya'll have a good one.

#10 ·
I've not use any Taurus in the calibers you are wanting. i have the Rugers and everything I've got from Ruger was outstanding (I've had a Redhawk 44 mag, 357 Blackhawk, GP 100, and a few Mazrk II's A Mark III, adn a dozen 10-22). I still miss my Redhawk terribly. Taurus makes a pretty good gun (at least the ones I've had), I've got a friend that all he will have is a Taurus but I just can't bring myself to make that commitment. :rolleyes: From my personal experiemces..I'd roll with the Rugers..you get plenty of bang for your buck:smt023

#13 ·
Rugers revolvers have given me the least problems of any I've owned. I've owned a Redhawk in 41mag, a Redhawk in 44mag, a Blackhawk in 45 LC, two Blackhawks in 44 mag, and my favorite was a Bisley Hunter in 44 mag with a Leupold LER scope. Shot everything from prarie dogs to elk with them. Only wore one to the point it was noticeably getting tired. It found a new home with a normal shooter (gave him a price he couldn't believe) and lived happily ever after. They all had holster wear and scratches and dings on them from being heavily used and shot alot. I'd definitely get a Ruger revolver.

#15 ·
Everyone seems to focus on revolvers here but I would add that Ruger makes fine semi-auto pistols in several calibers from .22 to .45. These are good in states where open carry is not allowed. For revolvers I would also include single action for hunting as well as for general carry in the woods. As to the consideration of Taurus, I have owned several Rugers but have only fired Taurus guns as rentals at the range. The poor quality of Taurus guns seems to agree with what many people say about them. I would trust a Ruger to function well and to be safe.

#17 ·
I'm considering a 44 Mag. for deer hunting, here in Ohio too. My favorite would be the Ruger Bisley Hunter, which is both reliable and accurate.

As for small game, I recommend either a Ruger 22/45 or a Browning Buckmark. I've owned both and both were equally accurate and reliable. However, Smith & Wesson has a nice .22 pistol called their 22A and there are several versions of it...including a camo model.

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

#22 ·
I'm looking at picking up two firearms this year for myself for handgun hunting. One will be for deer (.357,.44 mag), the other will be for small game (.22lr,.22wmr). I'm not trying to start a long winded debate on the two Mfgrs but, who do you think has the edge in accuracy and reliability. For Ruger I was thinking in the lines of the Blackhawk/GP100 and the New Single Six. As Taurus goe either the 608 or the 444. My eyese are not what they used to be so I need to be able to mount scopes as well. Last year was my first year hunting with a Handgun and now I think I'm hooked for life. Thanks for any advice on this.
I have both the GP100 (4" barrel) and the Ruger New Single Six Convertible (5.5" barrel), both in stainless steel. I promise that you won't be disappointed with these two. That's not to say that Taurus is junk. I've never had any problems with any Taurus I've ever owned. I like Taurus to. I would suggest checking out the Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. It comes with a built in scope base and recoil with full power loads is extremely manageable. The recoil of the Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag is punishing. I've had both and sold the Blackhawk.

Don <><

#23 ·
I've been hunting deer for a few years with my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. The last three mule deer were taken with it and I can't say enough good about them. They do make a "Hunter" model that has a grooved rib on it for scopes. Rugers are built like tanks, mine can shoot a 300 gr cast at about 1300 fps and will penetrate a mule deer lengthwise.

#25 ·
Years ago I used to, 'moonlight' nights and weekends by working at a large gun shop. I tell you for a fact: There wasn't any gun in the store that came back for warrantee service more often than Taurus pistols. Not a week went by that, at least, one of them wouldn't show up on the other side of the sales counter, and often in the hands of a very disappointed looking purchaser. It got to the point where I simply wouldn't sell them; but the boss (a good friend of mine) never said anything to me about staying away from the Taurus display case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.