Handgun Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Back in 1960, for $21.85 delivered to my door from the DCM along with a DA Form 1348-1 proving "lawful transfer from the government of the U.S. of 1 each pistol." A handy piece of paper which pissed off a few MPs in the Seventies and Eighties whose eyes lit up at the "United States Property" on my pistol in later years. Semi-retired now it is my sentimental favorite, it will be the last to go.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver
Wood Material property Household hardware Audio equipment Gas

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Back in 1960, for $21.85 delivered to my door from the DCM along with a DA Form 1348-1 proving "lawful transfer from the government of the U.S. of 1 each pistol." A handy piece of paper which pissed off a few MPs in the Seventies and Eighties whose eyes lit up at the "United States Property" on my pistol in later years. Semi-retired now it is my sentimental favorite, it will be the last to go.

View attachment 20929 View attachment 20930
An actual early 1911, and not 1911A1! Congratulations for maintaining it, all of these years. I've had a couple USGI M1911A1s over the years. both Remington Rands, the one back in the '70s got "Hot Rodded", and sold in the late '70s. My last one I picked up in the early '80s, and still have it...

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Wood stain Gun barrel

·
Registered
24 Posts
An actual early 1911, and not 1911A1! Congratulations for maintaining it, all of these years. I've had a couple USGI M1911A1s over the years. both Remington Rands, the one back in the '70s got "Hot Rodded", and sold in the late '70s. My last one I picked up in the early '80s, and still have it...

View attachment 20931 View attachment 20932
It came with brown plastic grips, but an uncle gave me a wood set he said "belonged on it." The finish, as you can see, now sports sixty years of honest wear.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
It came with brown plastic grips, but an uncle gave me a wood set he said "belonged on it." The finish, as you can see, now sports sixty years of honest wear.
My 1911A1s had come with the USGI Brown plastic grips as well, the pair on the one in the photos, are Hogue Rosewood, diamond checkered, commercial offerings, which mimic the early versions.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
My favorite usually is the last one that I bought that is until something else comes along and I have to buy another. Right now it's my 92X Performance. My only complaint is that I wish they made the gun in stainless steel instead of a finish that looks like it. I would have liked to have polished the flats on the slide to a mirror like finish to off set the matte finish on the rest of the gun. The only other issue is when I ordered the blue anodized grips which are thinner than the stock grips. They did not come with shorter grip screws and none are available. So I had to shorten the one's that I had by about three 32nds of an inch. Otherwise they would interfere with the magazine. If I used the washers the screws would stick out by the same amount and not fit flush with the grips and looked like hell. You'd think that they would have thought of that when designing the grips by making them the same thickness as the original grips? That's what should have been done. Or at least made screws to fit them?

You want to keep as many threads on the screws as possible. So it was matter of cutting, fitting and dressing the end of the screws. I had to do that several times, taking the grips on and off then tightening the screws down until the ends were flush with the inside of the frame. Instead of just guessing how much would be enough. It was about a 45 minute to an hour's job going back and forth until they were just right. A gunsmith would have to charge about an hour's worth of labor just to shorten those screws to fit. The screw heads still stick out a little bit. But there's nothing that I can do about that without ruining the structural integrity of the grips or the screw heads.

You can see from the bottom photo that the original screws were slightly countersunk on the original black plastic grips, they also had lock washers installed. The stainless steel screws that I had were the exact same dimensions and depth. Obviously I couldn't use the lock washers. All in all I'm very happy with the results, it's the little details that count.

View attachment 20845

View attachment 20846

View attachment 20847
HA HA HA! Your saying, "my favorite one is usually the last one I bought", was perfect! Made me LOL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I carried a Colt 1911A1 my entire tour in Nam and when I got home, it was the first
gun I looked for to own. Found a 1942 era Colt 1911A1 a couple years later and
it followed me home. Been mine for 50 years. It'll be my daughter's when I'm ashes
and gone.
Dano
Wood Office supplies Font Eyelash Art

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The question is impossible to answer. I have been trying but I can't narrow it down to "one". Maybe if it were a top 20 handguns. Top 4 rifles. Top 3 shotguns. Then of course top 7 or 8 rimfire. Listed in no particular order.

·
Registered
699 Posts
6.5 Grendel. It is what the AR15 should have been form the start, just came along 50 years too late.
I'm a 5.56/223 fanboy, so yes, it's that good. Wish I had one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What your most favorite gun that you own, out of all of them?
S & W 38 Spcl Model 15-4. I've had it since 1981 and have shot more than 100,000 rounds through it. It had one prior owner that shot box box of shells through it and traded it in on a 357 Mag. It was a replacement for a Model 12-4 that I had stolen from my airline luggage. The buyer of the model 12 had purchased it to shoot one box of shells through it and traded it in for the Model 15-4. He kept moving up and actually, the gun shop owner called me and asked me if I wanted to buy the 357 Mag as he had traded in for a 44 Mag.
I had to replace the cylinder about 10 years ago along with the center pin, but barrel still mics out at .360 on the top of the grooves.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts