Handgun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Just got some of this today, Winchester Ranger .45acp... I'm hoping to test it out at the range this weekend. That's one goodlookin' bullet, I tell you what.

I'll report back after my weekend range trip.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
jwkimber45 said:
Got some of that myself. (I didn't pay for mine, wink, wink.... :-D )

I really like it.
Shoplifter.... SHOPLIFTER......

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Seriously - I was offered some at the local gunstore - but they said it was found behind some shelf/rack on the range. It had been there probably 4 - 5 years, and the box was all beat up. I wasn't gonna buy that for self defense use w/ it being older and in an unknown condition. But if I had another opportunity.... (with a new box)

·
Supporting Member
891 Posts
I have had some Wichester Rangers in the past. It is a pretty nasty round, if it feed in you gun well I think you will like it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Shipwreck said:
jwkimber45 said:
Got some of that myself. (I didn't pay for mine, wink, wink.... :-D )

I really like it.
Shoplifter.... SHOPLIFTER......

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Seriously - I was offered some at the local gunstore - but they said it was found behind some shelf/rack on the range. It had been there probably 4 - 5 years, and the box was all beat up. I wasn't gonna buy that for self defense use w/ it being older and in an unknown condition. But if I had another opportunity.... (with a new box)
Naw, LOL!!

I'm good friends with a couple guys who have access to that stuff for 'free'. Actually, I did pay for it......... :?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello. I've had very good luck with this load from several forty-five caliber handguns.

Here are some average velocities based on ten shots fired 10' from the chronograph screens:

Kimber Classic 5": 880 ft/sec

Norinco 5": 841 ft/sec

Springfield Armory LW Gov't 5": 886 ft/sec

SIG-Sauer P220 4 1/4": 857 ft/sec

In these (and other .45's) pistols, extreme spread and standard deviations were quite small and expansion "testing" in both water and super-saturated newsprint imitated each other very well. It is my understanding that these rounds do well when passing through the dreaded 4-layer of denim barrier before striking 10% ballistic gelatin. The one that I did see removed from a whitetail deer expanding very similarly to those shot into water, etc.

This seems pretty well typical of the RA45T I've seen fired into either water, soaked papers, or gelatin so long as the barrel was 4" long or better.

This round has proven itself a reliable feeder in the pistols I've tried it in as well. In my opinion it is one of the very best choices as a personal protection load.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stephen A. Camp said:
Hello. I've had very good luck with this load from several forty-five caliber handguns.

Here are some average velocities based on ten shots fired 10' from the chronograph screens:

Kimber Classic 5": 880 ft/sec

Norinco 5": 841 ft/sec

Springfield Armory LW Gov't 5": 886 ft/sec

SIG-Sauer P220 4 1/4": 857 ft/sec

In these (and other .45's) pistols, extreme spread and standard deviations were quite small and expansion "testing" in both water and super-saturated newsprint imitated each other very well. It is my understanding that these rounds do well when passing through the dreaded 4-layer of denim barrier before striking 10% ballistic gelatin. The one that I did see removed from a whitetail deer expanding very similarly to those shot into water, etc.

[IMG:500:500:902dc94ab6]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/45WinRA45Texp1.jpg[/img:902dc94ab6]
This seems pretty well typical of the RA45T I've seen fired into either water, soaked papers, or gelatin so long as the barrel was 4" long or better.

This round has proven itself a reliable feeder in the pistols I've tried it in as well. In my opinion it is one of the very best choices as a personal protection load.

Best.
That's awesome! Thanks for the info... :)

I also bought 100 rounds of the 9mm as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello. In the past I've recommended www.proload.com but I just went there and their on-line store is currently closed. If and when it comes back up, go to search and type in RA45T for the 230-gr. .45 ACP or RA9TA for the 127-gr. +P+ 9mm. I think the 9mm 147-gr. is RA9T.

js:The 9mm ammunition is excellent also in my opinion.

Another source is here:

http://mahsupplies.net/

Best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts