Handgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the Quality difference between Wilson combat 1911 and a Springfield 1911 TPR?

·
Super Moderator
12,601 Posts
I will say that I have owned 3 higher end 1911s. A $3k Springfield Custom Shop 1911 (this is on par with the Wilson - it is NOT like the regular Springfields at the gun shop)..... And, two Ed Browns.

Once you own a higher end 1911, it is difficult to be satisfied with regular, non custom 1911s. I can never find a normal 1911 I like anymore. The thumb safety, trigger, lack of play in the trigger, and fit and finish of the semi custom 1911s will be MUCH better. Now, I always have some issue with either the trigger or thumb safety when I look at anything cheaper.

And, I've said it before - until you own one, you won't necessarily understand WHY the gun is better than a regular, non custom 1911. Yea, there is always some guy complaining that his Rock Island Armory is equal to an Ed Brown or Wilson... Maybe in his mind, but not in reality. Arguing with someone like that is a huge waste of time, though....

I have owned a TRP many years ago. It was nice for the money, but I personally prefer 1911s from Dan Wesson in that price range (I have previously owned 3 Dan Wessons). On the TRP I had, the 25LPI checkering on the front strap is awfully sharp. Much sharper than 25 LPI hand checkering, It digs into your fingers a little TOO much. Also, the Bushing was much harder to turn than even n the Ed Browns I had.

The TRP is not a bad gun, but not even close to a Wilson or Brown. Personally, Ed Browns are my favorites...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well said Shipwreck. I have made believers out of many folks who had no idea what the differences were at our gunclub. Once they handle and shoot it, they do. It was the best investment of my gun life.

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
I have a Springfield 1911A1 that I want to do some refinements to. Nothing extravagant just upgrade the sights and maybe the grip safety and hammer.
Once I get this one to the point that I am comfortable shooting it, I may crack the wallet and from what I have read, Dan Wesson may well be my choice.

Reactions: Shipwreck
1 - 4 of 4 Posts