Handgun Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
"Familiarity" and "similarity" are the keywords. It is not about fillling out a dance card of six or eight guns. That practice leads to failing to take a safety off, or confusing a safety with a SA/DA decocker, or having no "feel" for the firearm when the shooting is up close and personal.
This is pretty much what I believe. I tried to say it, but my lack of professional experience and credentials prevented it.

When I was more dedicated to practice, I found that I could shoot almost any rifle or handgun well enough to defend myself. But I also learned that I needed several hours of intelligent training with my SD choice, immediately prior to carrying it, to feel confident of my ability to shoot it in a stressful situation. For this reason, all of the SD weapons that I will actually carry (now) have the same basic function characteristics (striker fired, or DA only). I never carry anything with a lever safety mechanism, because that is the major difference that can not be overcome with a few hours of practice.

I love my revolvers, 1911, and CZ's, but I only shoot them for fun, after my first attempts to feel comfortable with them for SD. They are perfectly fine for SD, but not optimum in my particular case.

·
Registered
790 Posts
More importantly, switching holster design/carry is a much more tricky thing to do. Going from OWB to IWB to shoulder rig or small of the back is to be frowned upon unless you practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: Steve M1911A1

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
More importantly, switching holster design/carry is a much more tricky thing to do. Going from OWB to IWB to shoulder rig or small of the back is to be frowned upon unless you practice, practice, practice.
It is, in fact, exactly the same bad practice as wantonly switching among several unrelated guns.
Carry the same gun*, in the same place, in the same way, and you will have a much better chance at survival.

*"The same gun" can be comfortably construed as very similar clones of one type and set of functions. For example, a full-size 1911 and a Commander-size 1911 are "close enough for folk music." But an Officers' Model 1911 may be stretching the point.

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
All the guns I carry are all DA/SA. For me, it is not really an issue to change guns. If it were something significantly different, I would agree. But in my case - I don't see the big deal.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
All the guns I carry are all DA/SA. For me, it is not really an issue to change guns. If it were something significantly different, I would agree. But in my case - I don't see the big deal.
See Brianm14's Post #19, above.

If all of your "rotation" are similar in grasp and feel, as well as similar in function and capacity, and if you carry them in the same place and in the same way, then there is, indeed, no big deal.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I carry identical models the only exception being one is in .40cal the other 9mm. No issues here. I shoot one as well as the other.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts