Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

First off - Happy Thanksgiving. Hope everyone is healthy and safe.

Ok - quick question, who makes the highest quality holster as far as functionality and quality of material?

Kindly,
Stephen

· Registered
3,915 Posts
Matt Del Fatti.

Reactions: Dorian

· Administrator
13,769 Posts
Hello friends,

First off - Happy Thanksgiving. Hope everyone is healthy and safe.

Ok - quick question, who makes the highest quality holster as far as functionality and quality of material?

Kindly,
Stephen
There is no answer to that, just personal preference. There are LOTS of good holster makers, but no one is "the best."

Plus, you need to decide what you want before we can give suggestions....

Kydex? Leather?

Will you carry OWB or IWB?

· Administrator
13,769 Posts
I would like leather and I will carry on my side 👍😀.

Kindly,
Stephen
There are still so many good makers out there. I would not spend too much until you find out what you like, too. Everyone has their preference. My favorite may not be yours.

Also, with that steel framed Beretta 92X you have, a standard 92 leather holster may or may not fit, because of the frame safety. However, leather will stretch, unlike kydex.

Finding a holster that fits that gun is the 1st challenge. I would do some Google searches and find some places that make a holster for your gun. THEN list some of the choices and get some advice.

While it is a 92 variant, you may have issues finding a carry holster for that gun from some holster makers.

You will hear this from many people and also read this in gun magazines all the time... Most people who carry end up with tons of holsters over time.

Also, some of the high end holster makers can having wait times of many months too.

Now, if you will be carrying that PX4 Compact instead of that steel framed 92x, that opens up a lot more options for you.

· Administrator
13,769 Posts
Tagua also makes a decent OWB leather holster.
Years ago, I bougt a Tagua holster at the local gunshop that you know very well. It was one of the 1st holsters I had ever bought at Champion. WAY too stiff. And the leather - wow, it was made horrendously. I would never buy one of them again, personally. Worst holster I ever bought.

I used to like Craft holsters, but I noticed that some of their OWB holsters tilt the gun outward, and they print too much because of that. It really came down to the model gun they were made for. Some worked better than others. I would not recommend them, however.

Honestly - for someone that is JUST starting t carry, and does not yet know what he wants, I'd recommend a Galco holster. I may get a ribbing by some here, but they make good stuff. Many of my very first holsters were Galco OWB holsters in the 1990s. I bet he can find one for that PX4 compact he just ordered. They have models with retention straps and without.

Plus, if you don't like it - everyone knows the brand, so it's easy to resell. I think it's silly to spend more $ than a OWB Galco until you figure out how you will carry and how much you like your new gun.

Gould and Goodrich is also another good brand to try - I've owned a could of those. A little better than Galco, IMHO, for around the same price...

Bianchi makes good stuff too - just not as pretty as Galco and Gould and Goodrich.

Realize that most OWB holsters will need some break in. Usually, you wrap the gun in a walmart/grocery bag, and shove the gun into the holster. Do that for a few days, and it will stretch the holster for the gun.

· Registered
46 Posts
I found a nice one for my Beretta Bobcat on Amazon. This is a stock photo. Not my gun. $40 from Barsony. Nice leather and available in a few colors. I never carry in public but I do feel safer having it when I'm camping or sometimes when I'm hiking. I've never needed it though.
Eyewear Bag Jewellery Font Rectangle

· Registered
6,307 Posts
I have some good news and some bad news. First the good news there are a lot of good holster makers out there to chose from. Now the the inbetween news you will need to find a good belt to support your holster. Now the bad news like most of us you will end up with a box of holster that seemed just right but soon learned they weren't. Holsters are more personal than your shoes, so good luck finding your best holster.

· Administrator
13,769 Posts
... you will end up with a box of holster that seemed just right but soon learned they weren't. Holsters are more personal than your shoes, so good luck finding your best holster.
Yep, that's what I said above too. Most people end up with a ton of them over time.... It's not a one and done deal.

· Administrator
13,769 Posts
Assuming the original poster is going with the PX4 compact he just ordered - Galco makes the FLETCH for the fullsize PX4. It will work fine for the compact PX4. You'll just have a quarter of an inch of empty space at the bottom of the holster, but the holster is open anyway.

I have owned SEVERAL FLETCH holsters for many guns over the years. They are good holsters, and they don't flex outwards to make the gun print more, like many other brands do. I can say that for sure. I've had holsters from other companies - and you can have 2 of the exact same model, but made for different guns.... And one of them tilts the handle of the gun out too much.... Then it prints horrendously.

Gould and Goodrich also makes this holster for the fullsize PX4 - which will work fine for the PX4 compact:

I have owned this exact same holster years ago - If I remember right, it was for a Walther P99. Worked great. Cheaper than Galco too.

· Registered
350 Posts
I would like leather and I will carry on my side 👍😀.

Kindly,
Stephen
Well then....I'll tell you my favorite- of course your mileage may vary:
I like UBG holsters (Ugly Bald Guy). He makes several types of leather holsters- and my all time favorite is the "Regulator". It is a "snap" scabbard that has loops that go around your belt and snap in place. Easy on and off. I have 3!
But he has several different holsters- and they are all good- the down side: he doesn't make them til you order- so delivery time is a few weeks.
Price range- $70-for most and up to $110 for fancy stuff.

· Administrator
13,769 Posts
Well then....I'll tell you my favorite- of course your mileage may vary:
I like UBG holsters (Ugly Bald Guy). He makes several types of leather holsters- and my all time favorite is the "Regulator". It is a "snap" scabbard that has loops that go around your belt and snap in place. Easy on and off. I have 3!
But he has several different holsters- and they are all good- the down side: he doesn't make them til you order- so delivery time is a few weeks.
Price range- $70-for most and up to $110 for fancy stuff.

That Regulator looks interesting. I may have to get one.

EDIT - Looks like he doesn't make holsters for Shields. :(

· Registered
48 Posts
Years ago, I bougt a Tagua holster at the local gunshop that you know very well. It was one of the 1st holsters I had ever bought at Champion. WAY too stiff. And the leather - wow, it was made horrendously. I would never buy one of them again, personally. Worst holster I ever bought.
Have the exact opposite opinion of Tagua. Yeah they are stiff but that's what I like and the leather, IMO, is decent enough for the price. I bought my first one a couple of years ago (I have two) and I'm thinking they might have better quality control now then they did years ago.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts