Handgun Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
163 Posts
Well, sometimes it is a good idea to buy an entry level 1911 to see what you end up preferring later... Before you buy a high end one...

Do you want an ambi thumb safety? I prefer a single sided safety... How particular are you about fit and finish? Cheaper 1911s don't have as nice of a fitted thumb safety. Cheaper ones can be rather "mushy" when you push the safety off. Cheaper ones tend to have a loosely fit trigger that can often have some side to side play. I personally cannot stand that.

What kind of sights do you want? Do you care about the slide to frame fit? The bushing - do you want it super tight or finger loose? It can be a pain in the butt to use a bushing wrench to remove the bushing every time IMHO. But, some guns require it.

I would personally avoid aluminum framed 1911s, and stick with a steel frame. Remember the feed ramp is typically in the frame, on a 1911. Sometimes some aluminum framed 1911s have a ramped barrel, but not always.

The shape of some grip safeties are easier to deactivate than others.

You will find that as you learn more about 1911s... If you buy higher end ones, you will not want the cheaper models. I have tried to find sub$1000 1911s in the past. But there is always some issue I find that I just don't like. After owning some really expensive ones, I'm not satisfied with the fit and finish on the cheaper ones. But until you really get into the platform, you may not care
Ed Brown has nice custom ordering web forms. As you go through different features, you can pull up the pictures helping you visualize your options. It's a good tool to get yourself educated on what goes into a high-end 1911. Wilson has similar functionality too but they have too many options - could be overwhelming for an inexperienced person.

·
Administrator
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ed Brown has nice custom ordering web forms. As you go through different features, you can pull up the pictures helping you visualize your options. It's a good tool to get yourself educated on what goes into a high-end 1911. Wilson has similar functionality too but they have too many options - could be overwhelming for an inexperienced person.
Back when I had my two Ed Browns, I looked at all the higher brands. I almost went with Nighthawk, but once I got to hold a few, I found I liked Brown best.

Many of the Wilsons come with that curved channel rear sight. I personally can't stand that - I like the squared off rear sight channel. I find I can't shoot as accurately with the curved channel.

A stainless Brown is sweet.

·
Vendor
163 Posts
Back when I had my two Ed Browns, I looked at all the higher brands. I almost went with Nighthawk, but once I got to hold a few, I found I liked Brown best.

Many of the Wilsons come with that curved channel rear sight. I personally can't stand that - I like the squared off rear sight channel. I find I can't shoot as accurately with the curved channel.

A stainless Brown is sweet.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

Yep! I am expecting Nighthawk's Talon II Carry Cut - supposed to be very similar. It will be interesting to compare.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts