Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am in that camp!
Currently I have a personal project to acquire a 1911. Decided to take my time and budget accordingly!
*I am on the market now for a S.A. Garrison in .45 ACP. (open to others and will rent and research what's out there)
/Going next week to check out one used Garrison with a friend. I shot his many years ago and LOVED it!
*I love Ruger and have set up time to check out a couple my range buddy has possibly for sale.
*My club has S&W 1911 rentals and that is a start too.
PS-> there is a huge amount of 1911's to sift through for me so get ready for many questions!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I shot my share of them when I was in the Army 50 years ago. Barely qualified the first few times but progressively got better over the years but not by much. I was in a position to carry either the 1911 or S&W Model 10 and carried the Smith most of the time. The issued .38 SPL ammo was faitly anemic but I was pretty proficient with the 4" revolver and have owned at least one since. Have three Model 10's now.

To answer the OP's question, no I don't own a 1911. Never have. I understand the appeal though it's just that I have never shot large frame automatics very well. I do have one in my safe though. I gifted this Ruger 1911 Commander to my grandson when he was 15. He's 20 now, in college but doesn't have a safe or a way to secure his firearms so he keeps them here or at his parents house. I added the stag grips a few years ago.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well....I guess I never really owned one.
Quiet a few years ago, #1 son came in with a friend who recently got a security job. He had bought a new Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. He also bought several new mags, 4 boxes of fmj ammo, and a couple holsters- one was a shoulder rig, the other owb. He brought it all in to show to me. Why? I ask...and he said: "I got into a jam and need quick cash!" I asked how much. He said $300 cash. I gave him the $300 and he dropped all his stuff. New gun, 4 boxes of ammo- less 7 rounds (he fired)., 2 holsters and I believe 6 or 8 mags. I never fired it. #1 son ask if he could take it and shoot it. I let it go......and it never came back home!
If I asked for it- he would bring it, but he knows I'll probably never use it and it will eventually fall to him.

So I guess I can say I never owned one- cause I never really had it in my possession.
I have fired one a number of times....don't remember exactly when.....perhaps in Basic at Ft. Jackson? (50+ years ago :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Never have and never will. They are clunky relics.
You make assumptions yourself don't you?
You assume that if you go negative someone will agree and raise your stock.
You assume that I am ignorant and won't match your snarky BS. CHECK MY RECORD.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
In one little post you rip on a pistol that was involved in winning two World Wars because you have an opinion.
You disparage my intelligence twice without a clue of who I am.
You obviously think you are an ex spurt.
If you were in my presence you would be polite if you had any sense.
As far as throwing down with your cursing, I don't believe that is allowed on the forum.
It would be interesting to see who agrees.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand how some people think the 1911 is "old." But man, once you shoot one... That trigger - with the pull straight back instead of hinged. It is just so easy to shoot accurate with one.

If you've never shot one, you should try it.

I have owned 12 1911s over the years... They are pretty fantastic.

And, small, modern updates from the original 1911 have come a long way...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I carried a Colt 1911 in Vietnam when I had to transport our cryptos to the depot for repair. I was the driver so the Colt. I got to shoot it only once at a range. I loaded it shot about 3 rounds and the instructor said you are good to go. First time ever firing a pistol. Over 50 years ago. My how time flies.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Looking for feedback on what to look for when renting a 1911 at the range or purchasing a new one.
*Going next week to check out a SA Garrison used. (first 1911)

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking for feedback on what to look for when renting a 1911 at the range or purchasing a new one.
Well, sometimes it is a good idea to buy an entry level 1911 to see what you end up preferring later... Before you buy a high end one...

Do you want an ambi thumb safety? I prefer a single sided safety... How particular are you about fit and finish? Cheaper 1911s don't have as nice of a fitted thumb safety. Cheaper ones can be rather "mushy" when you push the safety off. Cheaper ones tend to have a loosely fit trigger that can often have some side to side play. I personally cannot stand that.

What kind of sights do you want? Do you care about the slide to frame fit? The bushing - do you want it super tight or finger loose? It can be a pain in the butt to use a bushing wrench to remove the bushing every time IMHO. But, some guns require it.

I would personally avoid aluminum framed 1911s, and stick with a steel frame. Remember the feed ramp is typically in the frame, on a 1911. Sometimes some aluminum framed 1911s have a ramped barrel, but not always.

The shape of some grip safeties are easier to deactivate than others.

You will find that as you learn more about 1911s... If you buy higher end ones, you will not want the cheaper models. I have tried to find sub$1000 1911s in the past. But there is always some issue I find that I just don't like. After owning some really expensive ones, I'm not satisfied with the fit and finish on the cheaper ones. But until you really get into the platform, you may not care

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Here is a Garrison Rick.
Buds Guns.

Attachments

Reactions: rickclark28

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will admit that I am not one to buy used guns. But, I personally wouldn't buy a used 1911. They can be a bit more finicky, especially if the person messed with the internals. I'd stick with new on a 1911, IMHO...

MAYBE I'd buy a used, high end one. You tend to be dealing with someone very familiar with 1911s, if they have numerous high end models. Less likely to have issues. A lower end one used? No way...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts