Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.If I get the result I want in the exam I will take in the summer, I want to buy myself a gun.I'm undecided between two guns glock 19 and canik tp9 elite.
Both guns have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion.I think both guns are very beautiful and as far as I can see their users are satisfied.The glock is expensive where I live, the canik is cheap (glock:2700+tax=2870 dollar,canik:270+tax=440 dollar)
Aftermarket is not important to me.I will use the guns right out of the box.The biggest accessory I will buy will be a lantern and magwell.
I want to buy a beautiful, durable, most importantly special weapon as it will be my first and probably my last weapon.i am closer to canik also in youtube videos they say canik is better than glock.
If you answer impartially, I would love it, my friends :) . I would appreciate if you explain your answers together with the reason :)

· Registered
662 Posts
I have owned Glock and Canik handguns. Both ran great. The differences that stood out to me were grip shape and angle, trigger weight and travel, and weight Distribution.

The Glock and Canik grip shapes are different. Many people find the Canik grip to feel more natural. The triggers operate differently. The Glock trigger pulls the striker to full cock as you pull before it releases the striker. This makes the Glock trigger feel heavier and longer in the distance you must pull it. The Canik has a fully staged striker when it is cocked and the trigger only has to release the striker. This makes the trigger pull a shorter distance and it has less resistance.

Even though the Canik grip feels more natural to me when holding it, the Canik also has a wider beaver tail at the top of the grip, which happens to hit my proximal thumb joint under recoil. So, if I fire more than 100 rounds through the Canik, it becomes painful. The Glock 19 has never caused this problem for me.
The Canik seemed to weigh a bit more and also seemed top heavy.

I’m guessing by the prices you list and the location flag, that buying a handgun or replacement parts if a handgun should break could be a problem. The Glock is easier to work on and find replacement parts for without the need of a gunsmith.
But if you are in Turkey Canik parts may be plentiful as well.

Both handguns seem to be accurate and dependable based on my limited experience.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
You need to see if you can try both out to decide.

Also, even the model of Glock can matter. I have smaller hands. The glock 19 is not just a shorter gripped Glock 17. The curve of the backstrap is a little different. The Glock 19 fits my hand perfectly - the Glock 17/34/45 does not (unless I get a grip reduction).

I think Glock is made better than Canik - but that's my opinion. However, Canik is getting more and more popular - especially in the competition shooting scene.

But if I were you, I wouldn't buy either of them based on someone's post here. Also, just holding them in the gun store is not really enough.

I've bought many guns over the years that FELT great - but did not shoot well for me and my hands. Also, I forget what famous competition shooter it was who said it - but he claimed that a gun doesn't have to FEEL good in the hands to shoot well.

You need to find a place that rents guns, and try some out that way... Unless you have a friend who will let you try a few shots thru theirs.

· Registered
424 Posts
Hello and welcome-
I have the Canik TP9 Elite...and it is a fine gun. You know it is made there in Samsun Turkey. (I was there around 1970 on a ship S/S Transolar-long ago)

In the past I never like the striker fired guns and never wanted a Glock. However a friend talked me into a Canik. I got the TP9 DA.....really liked it, bought another, then the Elite- my favorite.

Looking at your math.....you can get 6 Caniks for the price of 1 Glock. If it were me?- I get 2 Elites, 2 SFX, and lots of ammo. And forget the glock..... 😃

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have owned Glock and Canik handguns. Both ran great. The differences that stood out to me were grip shape and angle, trigger weight and travel, and weight Distribution.

The Glock and Canik grip shapes are different. Many people find the Canik grip to feel more natural. The triggers operate differently. The Glock trigger pulls the striker to full cock as you pull before it releases the striker. This makes the Glock trigger feel heavier and longer in the distance you must pull it. The Canik has a fully staged striker when it is cocked and the trigger only has to release the striker. This makes the trigger pull a shorter distance and it has less resistance.

Even though the Canik grip feels more natural to me when holding it, the Canik also has a wider beaver tail at the top of the grip, which happens to hit my proximal thumb joint under recoil. So, if I fire more than 100 rounds through the Canik, it becomes painful. The Glock 19 has never caused this problem for me.
The Canik seemed to weigh a bit more and also seemed top heavy.

I’m guessing by the prices you list and the location flag, that buying a handgun or replacement parts if a handgun should break could be a problem. The Glock is easier to work on and find replacement parts for without the need of a gunsmith.
But if you are in Turkey Canik parts may be plentiful as well.

Both handguns seem to be accurate and dependable based on my limited experience.
Thank you for your answer.unfortunately the parts of the glock are expensive here too.canik seems more advantageous to me.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to see if you can try both out to decide.

Also, even the model of Glock can matter. I have smaller hands. The glock 19 is not just a shorter gripped Glock 17. The curve of the backstrap is a little different. The Glock 19 fits my hand perfectly - the Glock 17/34/45 does not (unless I get a grip reduction).

I think Glock is made better than Canik - but that's my opinion. However, Canik is getting more and more popular - especially in the competition shooting scene.

But if I were you, I wouldn't buy either of them based on someone's post here. Also, just holding them in the gun store is not really enough.

I've bought many guns over the years that FELT great - but did not shoot well for me and my hands. Also, I forget what famous competition shooter it was who said it - but he claimed that a gun doesn't have to FEEL good in the hands to shoot well.

You need to find a place that rents guns, and try some out that way... Unless you have a friend who will let you try a few shots thru theirs.
Thank you for your answer. Yes soon (about 1 month) i'm going to go and hire a canik. But unfortunately there is no glock around here. :(
I will still make the final decision, but since I think the people here are more experienced than me, opinions are important to me. :)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and welcome-
I have the Canik TP9 Elite...and it is a fine gun. You know it is made there in Samsun Turkey. (I was there around 1970 on a ship S/S Transolar-long ago)

In the past I never like the striker fired guns and never wanted a Glock. However a friend talked me into a Canik. I got the TP9 DA.....really liked it, bought another, then the Elite- my favorite.

Looking at your math.....you can get 6 Caniks for the price of 1 Glock. If it were me?- I get 2 Elites, 2 SFX, and lots of ammo. And forget the glock..... 😃
hello and thank you :) .Thank you for your answer.Yes true.I guess I will continue with canik.I'm looking for advice as much as possible. :D

· Registered
111 Posts
The Canik.
After having a variety of Glocks (mainly 19s) and 2 Caniks, I would suggestion the Canik. The Canik is the one that I would buy.
Regardless of which one you buy, they both are light pistols. The Canik feels lighter weight than the corresponding Glock.
There are a tremendous number of add-ons for both brands. It might be a good idea to research the add-on and the adaptability of each pistol before you buy.
In the choice there are trade-offs.
Of course, if you have the money, but both the Canik and the Glock!

· Registered
5,415 Posts
I am totally ignorant about Canik firearms. I have never seen one to my knowledge and know nothing at all about them. That means I am in no position to qualify any sort of preference between Canik and Glock pistols. However I do have a lot of experience with Glock pistols and am quite fond of some of them in particular. From what I see on the Canik website, they look like pretty well engineered pistols and I have to admit they appear to be interesting. I may have to check them out at a local gun shop.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
I am totally ignorant about Canik firearms. I have never seen one to my knowledge and know nothing at all about them. That means I am in no position to qualify any sort of preference between Canik and Glock pistols. However I do have a lot of experience with Glock pistols and am quite fond or some of them in particular. From what I see on the Canik website, they look like pretty well engineered pistols and I have to admit they appear to be interesting. I may have to check them out at a local gun shop.
The first Canik sold in the USA was basically a P99 clone, and then it went from there.

My local gun shop has a whole shelf of Caniks now.

They had a limited edition, all white one for sale earlier this year. I know someone who had one, and he liked it. It was interesting to see an all white gun. So, I considered it. But keeping that thing clean has gotta be a nightmare :p

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Canik.
After having a variety of Glocks (mainly 19s) and 2 Caniks, I would suggestion the Canik. The Canik is the one that I would buy.
Regardless of which one you buy, they both are light pistols. The Canik feels lighter weight than the corresponding Glock.
There are a tremendous number of add-ons for both brands. It might be a good idea to research the add-on and the adaptability of each pistol before you buy.
In the choice there are trade-offs.
Of course, if you have the money, but both the Canik and the Glock!
Thank you for your answer.here are more parts of canik than glock :D

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am totally ignorant about Canik firearms. I have never seen one to my knowledge and know nothing at all about them. That means I am in no position to qualify any sort of preference between Canik and Glock pistols. However I do have a lot of experience with Glock pistols and am quite fond of some of them in particular. From what I see on the Canik website, they look like pretty well engineered pistols and I have to admit they appear to be interesting. I may have to check them out at a local gun shop.
i think try one as soon as possible the majority are very satisfied

· Registered
5,415 Posts
i think try one as soon as possible the majority are very satisfied
I like the K.I.S.S, principle with my SD handguns and Glock exemplifies this. A very simple platform which is so easy to completely disassemble for cleaning, repair, and modifications. That and the fact that Glocks are about as close to reliability perfection that I have ever seen in a semi-auto pistol.

· Registered
26 Posts
I’ve got both, but mine are 2 very different guns.
Glock 29sf in 10mm, compact carry.
Canik sfx Rival 9mm race gun.
What are your preferences here. The Glock is still a little bigger then the sub compacts, but a hundred times easier to conceal.
The Canik is incredibly fast shooting and target sight picture is easy to pick up for me, mine has a red dot on it.
So really, for my 2 examples, they each have their place in the armory. I dunno.

· Registered
51 Posts
Don't envy your position. Oh, buying a new gun is an exciting prospect. But being limited to only 1. Sure i would require some serious therapy. Close friends assure me Canik is still under appreciated here. Several of those friends are Glock owners and fans. The Glock 19 has a rather amazing ability to FIT more people. Especially those smaller or at least smaller hands. Good luck in your quest.

· Registered
5,415 Posts
One of my local gun stores is a Canik retailer and I had the chance to see one up close but not to hold it. A couple of police officers, in plain clothes, were checking it out. I'm a big fan of simplicity and the Canik I saw, a desert sand color, didn't look all that simple on the outside. But it certainly got some attention. I still know nothing about them at all at this time.

· Registered
204 Posts
I have shot a Glock but not a Canik, but the Glock wasn't for me.

With the Canik being considerably cheaper for you, that's where I would start. You can buy a lot of ammo, shoot it, and work out your problems in learning to shoot effectively. Once you know the pistol inside and out, you can always move to a more expensive pistol if you wish to do so.

All people can do is tell you what they have found and experienced in a firearm, but your own experience in handling and shooting the gun is what matters most.

Most of the time it's the person behind the gun and not the gun itself that has problems. But I see no downsides in starting with the Canik.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts