Handgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Reporter said that the BG entered the store with an "assault rifle", but I would bet $100 he did not do this. Bet it was a semi-auto rifle. This is where the media doesn't know what it's talking about when it comes to firearms. I'm also betting the owner used a shotgun.

·
Vendor
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Reporter said that the BG entered the store with an "assault rifle", but I would bet $100 he did not do this. Bet it was a semi-auto rifle. This is where the media doesn't know what it's talking about when it comes to firearms. I'm also betting the owner used a shotgun.
I find the very expression, "assault weapon", improper. Any weapon an assaulter is using, be it a gun, a Macbook Pro or a fist, is an assault weapon. Same tool used for defense becomes a defense weapon. It's all about the human operator. Guns are tools and should never be humanized. Media, of course, picks up a flawed expression and popularizes it.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I find the very expression, "assault weapon", improper. Any weapon an assaulter is using, be it a gun, a Macbook Pro or a fist, is an assault weapon. Same tool used for defense becomes a defense weapon. It's all about the human operator. Guns are tools and should never be humanized. Media, of course, pics up a flawed expression and popularizes it.
There actually is a definition of an "assault rifle" and it most definitely does not cover an AR15. The term "assault rifle", or broader term "assault weapon" was coined, read that as stolen or plagiarized, in 1989 by Josh Sugarmann after the Stockton, CA school yard shooting. He believed that these terms would evoke significant visceral reactions by the press and the general public which would then start demanding the banning of such arms.

It really bothers me when I hear gun people use these terms to describe semi-auto rifles when they should know better. All they are doing is feeding into the agenda of the anti's when they do this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No body has pointed out yet that the bad guy's "assault weapon" has every feature California has banned and then some. Yes it's politically loaded made up term, but for all the news this has made, not a single source has noted that the armed robber did not seem to care he was violating California's strict gun laws. With any luck, he will live, but they will have to amputate. Thieves should be missing a hand so folks can readily identify them.

Reactions: Brazz

·
Vendor
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No body has pointed out yet that the bad guy's "assault weapon" has every feature California has banned and then some. Yes it's politically loaded made up term, but for all the news this has made, not a single source has noted that the armed robber did not seem to care he was violating California's strict gun laws. With any luck, he will live, but they will have to amputate. Thieves should be missing a hand so folks can readily identify them.
SO TRUE!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You are missing the whole point of this news article.
This is Exactly what the Leftists want you to do.
You, we, the American People have permitted this All to happen!
What are you going to DO about if?
(Talk is Cheap)

·
Vendor
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
(Talk is Cheap)
To do about what? I would probably do the same as that grandpa in this specific situation. As for the bigger point you’re making, you may want to elaborate: what, in your opinion, is the main point of the article and what needs to be done about it. Starting with your own example always helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find the very expression, "assault weapon", improper. Any weapon an assaulter is using, be it a gun, a Macbook Pro or a fist, is an assault weapon. Same tool used for defense becomes a defense weapon. It's all about the human operator. Guns are tools and should never be humanized. Media, of course, picks up a flawed expression and popularizes it.
a car is an assault weapon in the hands of a drunk, a hammer, baseball bat, kitchen knife ETC

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
(Talk is Cheap)
I say profile those who are unlikely to have loving parents, good schools, a diploma, or a sense of what is right and what isn't. Avoid those who fit the profile and when they come for me, be prepared to act accordingly.
Now, what the hell are you going to do?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
(Talk is Cheap)
So forgive my ignorance but what you are suggesting is that the leftists want us to use deadly force in defense of ourselves, our livelihood, and our property. Is that a correct reading of your post? I'm a little confused with what you are trying to say.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So forgive my ignorance but what you are suggesting is that the leftists want us to use deadly force in defense of ourselves, our livelihood, and our property. Is that a correct reading of your post? I'm a little confused with what you are trying to say.
In re-defining words, the Leftists have determined the outcome of the argument.
When someone argues over the meaning of words, one is distracted from the threat. This leads to a failure to act.
Have you seen Leftists go into a group and split the group into opposing forces? Have you seen Leftist neutralize the effectiveness of groups by constantly rattling the same old canard.
Talk IS Cheap.
What is anyone doing about this meddling with the Natural Right of Self-Defense? It isn't the USA Constitution; it isn't the war over the definition of special words -- these are many tactics of distraction. So are Red Flag laws, etc. The affirming of our right to Self-Defense is paramount. Some say that every other right flows from the right of Self-Defense.
Argue, agree, and let others take on the challenge. Is that what we should do? Or should we stand up to the challenge?
That's one point that I was referring to; there are other points.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts