Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) They defunded the police.

2) You had no choice but to travel.

3) The situation was similar to the last time you saw burning and looting.......

4) Time was not a luxury.

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
If you can bring these items during your travel, I would load up heavy on chemical sprays, a non lethal form of defense.
Not to be used unless you're trapped without an escape route.
The chemical sprays show a non lethal intent.

If Chem sprays fail, and you haven't got an escape route.
Multiple handguns, rifles , shotguns with multiple magazines to protect the family.

One important note to be aware of, this rioting or looting needs to show people seriously injured in their( rioters ) wake beforehand to justify your fear to use lethal force.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
thought provoking question. You’re talking about rioting and looting going on, no police around, and I had to travel through an area...12 ga high magazine capacity pump loaded with slugs carried in hand or on a sling, with a Ruger SR9c in holster with several high capacity mags in my belt.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thought provoking question. You’re talking about rioting and looting going on, no police around, and I had to travel through an area...12 ga high magazine capacity pump loaded with slugs carried in hand or on a sling, with a Ruger SR9c in holster with several high capacity mags in my belt.
I agree on the 12 gauge but might opt for #4 buckshot instead of slugs. I think my G34 would be a good choice with 17 round mags primary and 33 round backups. The 5.31" barrel will give the rounds a bit more velocity.

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
The extra velocity of of a G34 over a 17 or even a 19 probably won't make much difference.

In terms of a mob scenario...I'd probably want a G19 or even a 26 etc as it would be easier to hide while in my hands.

In terms of a long gun, while the shotgun has a lot going for it, the capacity and reload time would make it less than ideal.

An AR with a single spare mag will give you sixty rounds total and a quicker reload, so that's probably what I would go with and the long gun is even iffy as after the Kenosha deal any long gun in view is going to be met with more hostility.

Might be a better case for a folding AR pistol in a discrete case.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the OP I was thinking about travelling by vehicle primarily. If I were forced to walk my load out might include a brace of Glocks and a decent supply of ammo. At least one of the Glocks would sport an Olight pl-mini and a CT laser grip and night sights on both.
If traveling by vehicle I would carry an AR with light, laser and optics. A 12 gauge with 8-10 round capacity would be a great backup for close encounters.
Less than lethal defense like bear spray would be nice, but I don't ever want to be that close to a mob.
The best defense tool is avoidance and my vehicle is a quite capable four wheel drive that truly does not need roads.

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
In the OP I was thinking about travelling by vehicle primarily. If I were forced to walk my load out might include a brace of Glocks and a decent supply of ammo. At least one of the Glocks would sport an Olight pl-mini and a CT laser grip and night sights on both.
If traveling by vehicle I would carry an AR with light, laser and optics. A 12 gauge with 8-10 round capacity would be a great backup for close encounters.
Less than lethal defense like bear spray would be nice, but I don't ever want to be that close to a mob.
The best defense tool is avoidance and my vehicle is a quite capable four wheel drive that truly does not need roads.
Traveling through rioting areas should include a plan of egress on foot due to possible blockades.

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
Traveling through rioting areas should include a plan of egress on foot due to possible blockades.

Egressing from your vehicle is probably one of the best moves.
Leaving your vehicle abandoned might be one of the hardest
(y)

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
should include a plan of egress on foot due to possible blockades.
I would hope to see traffic jams or a blockade in time to avoid it but I would certainly not abandon my truck until it was useless for escape. Once you are afoot, your exposure time grows exponentially, and you ability to carry necessary gear is diminished considerably.

Reactions: Rockyd

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
So for the sake of relevancy, what's the scenario that all this firepower is geared for?

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
To clarify, when we're talking "travel" are we talking about typical passenger vehicles going to see family, are we talking about motor home/camper extended time from home, are we talking about simple commutes in known hot sopts?

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So for the sake of relevancy, what's the scenario that all this firepower is geared for?

I guess I was thinking about the Dereck Shoven trial results not going well for the prosecution and the people who disagree with it burning, looting, and attacking innocent folks. I am only a little over an hour from Minneapolis.

To clarify, when we're talking "travel" are we talking about typical passenger vehicles going to see family, are we talking about motor home/camper extended time from home, are we talking about simple commutes in known hot spots?

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and on occasion have to visit the Minneapolis VA.

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
I guess I was thinking about the Dereck Shoven trial results not going well for the prosecution and the people who disagree with it burning, looting, and attacking innocent folks. I am only a little over an hour from Minneapolis.

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and on occasion have to visit the Minneapolis VA.
In this kind of scenario I would not advise long guns etc as those are probably going to have to stay in your vehicle during your appointment and parking garages are not super secure.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chances are, if I have trouble getting to the VA Doc, he or she wouldn't be on the job anyway.

I must say that the VA has been wonderful so far, and I think they have improved my health and kept me off the affordable health care thing.

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
Chances are, if I have trouble getting to the VA Doc, he or she wouldn't be on the job anyway.

I must say that the VA has been wonderful so far, and I think they have improved my health and kept me off the affordable health care thing.
My buddy uses the VA all the time.
He's been impressed with the care he has been receiving

·
Registered
260 Posts

Yeah, same here, they are no better or worse than anyone else; since doctors and staff are all cut from the same mold.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, same here, they are no better or worse than anyone else; since doctors and staff are all cut from the same mold.
My intended meaning was that if rioting kept me from getting to the clinic, it would keep the clinic employees away as well.
Nothing at all judging the good people I have had help me at the VA.

Reactions: VAMarine

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree on the 12 gauge but might opt for #4 buckshot instead of slugs. I think my G34 would be a good choice with 17 round mags primary and 33 round backups. The 5.31" barrel will give the rounds a bit more velocity.
No way would I use slugs, a Ar etc. No4 buck shot with cylinder bore would be the best option. Too easy for a Bullet to travel so far down range and hitting someone that is innocent. The noise alone has proven to scatter crowds and the goal is too just escape to safety. I do not have any experiece in crowd control, but would be interested in how effective Rubber slugs do perform.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Benelli M4 00B/#4, 8.5" 300 ACC 165gn soft points(unless suppressed then add 208 gn round nose segmented HP's, pair of G36 190gn segmented HP with anvils....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts