Handgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old guy asking what data, information and drills should be covered with a range report?
*For the past 5 years I have been attempting to make each range visit a good learning experience. What do you guys do properly test and review your new firearms?

Have a great day!

"LONG LIVE BILL RUGER!"

Reactions: pic

·
Registered
349 Posts
Basically- I keep a separate log for each gun I own.
When I shoot- I log the total number of rounds fired and the identity of those rounds- like Remington 9mm 115 gr. fmj.
I also log how many mis-feeds or malfunction of any kind with each specific ammo. Also if there was an issue- I also log which specific magazine was in use at the time. Every magazine I have has an identifying mark on it. I use an electric etching pen to label them with a 1,2 or 3...or an A,B, C.
After each range session I can easily add the number of rounds fired to the total I already have. I'll try to take a pic of an empty chart-
Here we go-
If you notice- in that first column I has 2 fail to feed, and in the next column I had 1 fail to eject. Then if you look in the far right column you can see I recorded issues with the Rem HTP ammo. It is older and apparently is causing issues. Now I know not to carry it any more. Also you can see near the bottom I have having a couple issues with mag #1 failing to lock back- with 2 different brands of ammo. So- now I know there may be an issue with mag #1... possibly the follower is messed up?

I do this with every gun I have. This eliminates guess work. I KNOW what works and doesn't work in these guns.
Handwriting Font Rectangle Material property Wood

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am streamlining my notes and logs this helps...!

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
I keep a word document - in 1 document, I have the dates I go shooting, and the rounds fired. Also the brand of ammo I shoot, and if there are any issues.

As for a good range day - my range doesn't allow drawing from a holster or rapid fire. You can do double taps - that's about it.

But, when you have a good range day - it is a lot of fun. You know it when it happens... Just like there are some days where you don't shoot as well, and you know it wasn't a good day.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I also have a log book with each firearm and I record round count, make note of failures with any brand or load, etc.

one thing I like to do to maybe compare how well I do with a new handgun out of the box as a base-line drill is a “Dot torture” drill. Requires 50 rounds and gives an idea of basic handling and “shootablility”. It can also be used as a running reference of areas of improvement as one gets used to a firearm, or it can point out areas where one needs to put in a little extra practice.

Gas Gun barrel Circle Trigger Air gun
Font Gas Circle Eyewear Auto part

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the log example. I am updating my notes/log and this helps getting more organized.
*Also appending drills like the “Dot torture” drill from post#6

Reactions: pic and Shipwreck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Old guy asking what data, information and drills should be covered with a range report?
*For the past 5 years I have been attempting to make each range visit a good learning experience. What do you guys do properly test and review your new firearms?

Have a great day!

"LONG LIVE BILL RUGER!"
"LONG LIVE BILL RUGER!"
[/QUOTE]

I just try to make it an enjoyable or fun experience.
Too old to care about "a good learning experience" -- that's a young man's game.
Shooting is all about a Cindy Lauper Experience -- Shooters just want to have fun!
By the way, Bill Ruger caved to the anti-gunners so while I wish him well, I don't necessarily wish him success.
You're probably too young to remember.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"LONG LIVE BILL RUGER!"
I just try to make it an enjoyable or fun experience.
Too old to care about "a good learning experience" -- that's a young man's game.
Shooting is all about a Cindy Lauper Experience -- Shooters just want to have fun!
By the way, Bill Ruger caved to the anti-gunners so while I wish him well, I don't necessarily wish him success.
You're probably too young to remember.
[/QUOTE]
I agree and do enjoy the heck out of the range. Love it.
*I received some good help from members here on learning some new tricks and educated myself on a new Sig. Thanks to Higgy Baby I have grown to love my new Sig and have streamlined my documentation of data.
*Many manufacturers have caved and are held up to the legalities of manufacturing firearms.
*It has been a long time since I was "too young" and at 65yrs. old I love learning about my shooting sports.
Have a great day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts