Handgun Forum banner

What is your Favorite 22 LR Handgun and Why?

23K views 100 replies 78 participants last post by  Lancerdad34 
#1 ·
I am getting the urge to look for another 22 LR pistol for practicing casual shooting and I wanted to get some idea of what other people think of what is on the market. I have 322 LR handguns which are:

Ruger LCR 22 LR revolver 8 shot -It makes a good practice gone the since I carry a Ruger LCR 22 Magnum as a backup and it is much cheaper than shooting the 22 Magnum ammo

Walter PPQ 22 - My favorite 22 handgun. It is highly reliable and only 2 ounces lighter than the PPQ M2 and is very similar to the 9 mm version. It makes a great casual shooting and practice gun. For my first 1000 rounds it only jammed about 10 times.

Ruger SR 22 - I bought this pistol because the review said it would take just about any ammo but mine seems to have a preference for CCI minimags.

#2 ·
My favorite is the Kadet .22 conversion kit for my CZ-75B, probably not a good option if you don't already have a CZ. Very accurate and consistent with low-powered ammo, or high power.

I also like my Walther P-22, similar to your Ruger SR 22, but it, too, likes only high velocity ammo and is for close range only.

#5 ·
I like my Ruger 22/45 but if I had a do over today I'd get a S&W 22 Victory. Accurate, great trigger with adjustable stop, VERY easy take down, adjustable fiber optic sights & cheap for what you get. It took MANY hours of labor & a few parts to make my Ruger as good as a factory S&W 22 Victory is off the shelf. This is from a Ruger guy who's never owned a S&W.

#7 ·
Too many to chose from, 3 Ruger Mk II, S&W 41, S&W 422, 2 Ruger single six and an old star. For target shooting its the S&W 41 but for just plane fun it is my old single six flat gate, also the gun I learned to shoot with 50 plus years ago.

#8 ·
Ruger SR 22 - I bought this pistol because the review said it would take just about any ammo but mine seems to have a preference for CCI minimags.
Love my SR22. Did replace the guide rod and spring with a captured spring rod from TandemKross and it made it even better. Have fired 22 longs in it and it cycles fine, but could result in residue build up that could cause casings for 22LR to stick a bit if I don't clean between using longs and long rifle bullets.

#11 ·
Smith & Wesson model 617 with 6 inch barrel. Trigger is very good and can be tuned to less than 8 lbs with 100 per cent reliability. I use mine for Steel Challenge shooting with a C-more scope or other red dots on it.

Very accurate. My favorite brand of ammo is Federal Auto Match, followed by CCI Standard Velocity.

#17 ·
Howdy,

Browning Buckmark

It fits my hand better than any other semi-auto .22LR pistol on the market.

"If" .22LR ammo becomes available again I will buy a new one but at $50 for 500 rounds I can almost reload 9mm for that price. If I would cast bullets I could reload 9mm for less than .22 ammo.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.