Handgun Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I just picked up, what could become one of my favorite's, if not my favorite .22LR handgun. It is the Smith & Wesson Model 617 Revolver holding 10 rounds. This gun is on the same frame (K Frame) as the Model 686 chambered in 357magnum. This gun is hefty and recoil is almost non-existent due to the diameter of the barrel and the full length underlug. I have been reading about problems within the first few rounds, but I put 40 rounds into a softball sized dirt clod, until I can get to the range, without any problems. This is a 4" barrel model and there is even a 6" model available. Right out of the box, it shot to aim at 15 yards using the Browning BPS 40gr. rated at 1435fps. I don't know how it groups yet, but in 40 rounds I never missed destroying a dirt clod. The single action trigger felt like about 3-4lbs. and the double action pull was smooth as glass and probably around 7-8lbs. This is the first S&W Revolver I have owned in 30 years. It has the frame safety which does not bother me in a .22 caliber gun, so to prevent any possible warranty coverage issues, it will stay unmolested. The grip is a bit small for my big hands, but not so uncomfortable that I want to change it. I will be changing the front sight to one that is fiber optic, to help my old eyes. The black on black just doesn't work for me. Rear sight is a nice adjustable one, but I wish it had a white outline blade. Again for the old eyes. It will be a nice companion to my Ruger 10/22 for cottontail and bushytail hunting.
Revolver Light Air gun Trigger Material property

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I just picked up, what could become one of my favorite's, if not my favorite .22LR handgun. It is the Smith & Wesson Model 617 Revolver holding 10 rounds. This gun is on the same frame (K Frame) as the Model 686 chambered in 357magnum. This gun is hefty and recoil is almost non-existent due to the diameter of the barrel and the full length underlug. I have been reading about problems within the first few rounds, but I put 40 rounds into a softball sized dirt clod, until I can get to the range, without any problems. This is a 4" barrel model and there is even a 6" model available. Right out of the box, it shot to aim at 15 yards using the Browning BPS 40gr. rated at 1435fps. I don't know how it groups yet, but in 40 rounds I never missed destroying a dirt clod. The single action trigger felt like about 3-4lbs. and the double action pull was smooth as glass and probably around 7-8lbs. This is the first S&W Revolver I have owned in 30 years. It has the frame safety which does not bother me in a .22 caliber gun, so to prevent any possible warranty coverage issues, it will stay unmolested. The grip is a bit small for my big hands, but not so uncomfortable that I want to change it. I will be changing the front sight to one that is fiber optic, to help my old eyes. The black on black just doesn't work for me. Rear sight is a nice adjustable one, but I wish it had a white outline blade. Again for the old eyes. It will be a nice companion to my Ruger 10/22 for cottontail and bushytail hunting.
They are excellent little 22s and are a lot of fun. Brother has the 10 shot and cannot say enough good about it. Would highly recommend one and wish you luck in your hunting! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts

I'd have to say that my favorite is my Volquartsen Black Mamba. It's sit up with a green fiber optic front sight although I sometimes shoot it with a C-More red dot.

It's my most accurate .22. I have just over 85K rounds through it. Last year Volquartsen replaced the barrel so I guess I've go a hole lot of shooting to do again.

If not the Black Mamba, my second favorite is my S&W 617. I even shoot that for Steel Challenge and have beaten my Mamba's times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Each of these are fantastic, hard to choose which one is best:
Walther PPQ .22 w/ Crimson Trace Laser
Taurus TX22
Ruger Mark IV Tactical w/ Vortex Venom Red Dot and TandemCross Compensator

My next .22LR purchase might have to be the DeadAir Mask Suppressor.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My favorite 22 lately has been my new Ruger LCRx 22LR. I have been shooting my daughters for years and the rental at my club I have spent many hours shooting. This past week my LGS (Bullet Ranch, Pataskala, Ohio) called and stated they just received a LCRx from a estate sale. They knew I wanted one and I did. After purchasing I was happy to find out this one came with a Night Fision front site. This site is great in the dark and came as a good surprise. I ordered a front site from XS before I knew but will install that on my daughters LCRx. I love this little Ruger and can not wait to break it in more. I have a SR22, Mark III 22/45 and a LCPII 22LR that I shoot often but I REALY like this DA/SA LCRx 22LR. I have many friends that have Mambas so I have the itch to get a Volquartsen Black Mamba. NEXT....!
Revolver Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal

·
Registered
84 Posts
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

Still my favorite gun. I do all my own gunsmithing and parts replacement. This S&W 617 has a 6.5 pound double action trigger. I used an Apex Mass Drive Hammer, did a lot of polishing and took it to the range.

First outing was a dud. Lots of failures to fire, will all types of ammo. I did having it for years but I had to replace the mainspring to insure ignition.

Just last week I added the low profile Vulquartsen front end to my pistol. It now shoots everything from CCI-Quiets to Federal Punch.

That's what I do in my time off.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You said "favorite",,,
I'm assuming you meany not necessarily the "best".

My favorite is my Colt Frontier Scout,,,
Her name is Lucille.

This was my Mom's gun when I was a kid,,,
She also had a .38 snubbie she carried in her bra.

Lucille lived on top of the fridge,,,
Along with a brick of .22 short ammo.

"Get your chores done without me having to hound you,,,
I'll let you shoot 15 shots after dinner this evening."

I grew up shooting this revolver,,,
To this day I always take it on range trips.

Reliable, precise, and just plain basic fun to shoot,,,
I have "better" rimfire pistols but Lucille will always be my favorite.

Aarond

·
Banned
74 Posts
My fave gun is SR22 it is well balaced and easy to use

Reactions: rickclark28

·
Registered
24 Posts
My favorite is a Ruger Mark II 5.5" bull barrel with an adjustable rear sight. I just wish that the magazines held more than 10 rounds on that gun! And I hate the takedown. That's the nicest thing they did with the Mark IVs was to improve that.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I wouldn't say my "Favorite" but my newest and one of the coolest is my Browning 1911 .22. A slick little .45 copy 85% the size of a Colt 1911.

Reactions: rickclark28

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know this is an "elderly post" , but I'd like to see if we can reactivate some of the Ruger pistol owners around here. Concerning MY favorite handgun, it has always been all of the Ruger Mark .22 Long Rifle caliber pistols:

If you read of "anybody" writing about how they have gotten their Ruger Mark pistol pull weight down to less than 2-pounds, quick run out and hit the button:

81 - 100 of 101 Posts