Handgun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
I have only shot one .22, my Walther P22 and I have to say it's a challenge. But I love it because I love challenges. CCI mini mags are the only round that is flawless in this gun but I don't care because I would never rely on a .22 for self defense. It's my play gun and I love tinkering with it trying to get it to fire other rounds, I'm getting there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Walther PPK/S .22. Feels great in the hand. Awesome trigger in SA. And more accurate than I am capable of. Pretty sexy too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
If I were in the market for a .22 & I carried a revolver, I'd go for the 10-shot Ruger (assuming cost wasn't a factor). I'd choose at least a 4" barrel because you'll probably want to plink with it at 20 yds. or so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Ruger Single-Six 22lr/22wmr convertible. Almost no fun to shoot. Goes right where I aim it, every time.
Most likely hands down, the favorite of wheel gun owners everywhere for a .22LR.

"Almost no fun to shoot". I say almost ALWAYS fun to shoot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Revolver S&W K 22, Semi Auto S&W M 41. Both are extremely accurate, I like the M 41 because I can swap my long target barrel for a short field barrel in a matter of seconds, just take out magazine, lock slide back, rotate trigger guard down, lift off barrel with sights and replace with the other barrel and sights, reverse process and go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have six .22 pistols, my favorite has to be my first, a Ruger Standard (circa 1978):

03.JPG

Actually this was my 2nd Standard. Like the idiot I am I sold my first one (with the red emblem and wood grips) to a neighbor for what I bought it for back in 1967. I'm still kicking myself.

I also have a Colt Woodman 2nd Series that belonged to my mother-in-law. Both guns shoot well, but the sentimental favorite is the Ruger.

I have a GSG Firefly and a 1911 in .22, also a Bersa Thunder .22. I like them fine but they're not as accurate (except maybe the 1911) as the Ruger or Colt. All 3 need to be fed high velocity ammo, I'm currently using Fiocchi and have very few failures.

As far as take down goes, practice makes perfect. I don't cuss nearly as much these days when cleaning the Ruger.

Of all I mentioned, the Firefly feels the best in my hand and with a steady hand is a fine shooter.

My 6th is a Heritage Rough Rider, shoots fine but I rarely take it to the range.

·
Registered
733 Posts
That's tough because it's hard to pick a favorite. For accuracy the Ruger MKII Target 6 7/8" barrel and the CZ Kadet Kit on a 75 D Compact frame. For SA the Ruger Single Six. For fun the TX22.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My favorite .22 handgun is a Ruger Single Six convertible.
Okay, you caught me, it's the only .22 handgun I own. That doesn't take away from the fact that it is a very nice gun and a lot of fun to shoot. I bought it used several years ago but the original owner took good care of it. It came in the original box and the extra cylinder came in a cloth bag with a drawstring. I'm assuming that's original as well.
The serial number is 63-50XXX so I guess that puts it in the early seventies. As I mentioned, it's a fun gun to shoot and it has a very smooth, even trigger pull.
I do have one problem with it. The bottom of the wood grips just behind the trigger guard have sharp squared off corners. Even though there is little recoil to speak of simply grasping the grips is uncomfortable. If I shoot a lot of rounds the inside of my right index finger will develop a sore spot. This becomes more of an issue with the magnum cylinder.
I'm notorious for changing grips on my handguns but I like the look of the original wood grips on this revolver.

Reactions: Jeb Stuart

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Ruger Mark II is used in weekly matches. It' the 6 7/8 target model stainless. I've had the gun for twenty or so years. Seems like I have had the gun forever. My antique High Standard runs well but is not used as much a the Mark II. I also really like my new model Bear Cat.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Well I guess I will chime in.

Tough as nails, very accurate, I've owned it twice, and the next owner will have to inherit this one!

GW

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am getting the urge to look for another 22 LR pistol for practicing casual shooting and I wanted to get some idea of what other people think of what is on the market. I have 322 LR handguns which are:

Ruger LCR 22 LR revolver 8 shot -It makes a good practice gone the since I carry a Ruger LCR 22 Magnum as a backup and it is much cheaper than shooting the 22 Magnum ammo

Walter PPQ 22 - My favorite 22 handgun. It is highly reliable and only 2 ounces lighter than the PPQ M2 and is very similar to the 9 mm version. It makes a great casual shooting and practice gun. For my first 1000 rounds it only jammed about 10 times.

Ruger SR 22 - I bought this pistol because the review said it would take just about any ammo but mine seems to have a preference for CCI minimags.
You have THREE HUNDRED TWENTY TWO handguns? Wow, I thought my gun safe was crowded!;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
My all time favorite 22.cal for fun, training and Plinking is the LCR22. I think I have more enjoyment with this gun than any I have or ever owned. After a training session or pinking session, I love to just sit back and Plink at shot gun clays at the 50 yd bern.

While I own a number of 22.cals, my favorite semi is the short barrel Phoenix HPA. Bought this gun on a Whim about 10 years ago and fell in love with it. It became a great asset over the years for fast Point Shoot Skills. I enjoy putting up 9 or 10, 3" reactive targets on a standard range target and see how fast I can nail all of them. I have done many drills over the years with this gun. Very reliable, and very accurate, nice trigger and sights.
Guntest ran a comparison of different guns and I will Paraphrase 'We did not expect much from the Phoenix with the cost of just of $140.00. But that all changed after shooting one. . They gave it a A+ Rating. I could not agree more.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts