Handgun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Danu, the Indonesian exchange student, is returning to his country next week. One of the things he wants to do, before he goes home, is shoot handguns. I told Danu I would take him to the range on Sunday and I am seeking advice on what to take. I know I will let him wear my electronic earmuffs so he can hear commands, I have safety glasses for him, and I will watch him like a hawk. I have every caliber from 22 Short to 44 Mag. If you were I, what handguns would you take? Remember, this is a once in a lifetime chance for Danu to experience shooting. Thanks and regards, Richard :-D

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
9mm would be where I would start. I don't agree that you need a 22 to start. As this is the first time, and maybe his only tim, I'd start w/ 9mm. I took my 67 year old mom to the range for her 1st time, and we used 9mm. So did my wife for her 1st time. And, in the CCW classes, I have seen an 80 year old lady pass w/ a 9mm Glock - she never even held a gun before (the class provided her the gun).

Don't be worse than an 80 year old lady :p :p :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I took one of our engineers to the range many years ago. He was from Thailand and had never shot a handgun before. He had read all he could find about the .44 Magnum and wanted to try one.

This man, incidentally, had never delivered a baby before, and when his wife became pregnant, read all he could about delivering babies. When the time came, he delivered his son. I figured he could handle a .44 Magnum.

When we went to the range, I briefed him as thoroughly as I could, loaded five medium handloads for a practice run, and let him solo with full power magnums.

This man was so diciplined he cut the black nearly every shot for about half a box of 240gr. JHP full power .44 Magnum stuff. An Oriental with rather long black hair, I could not help but notice his hair fly up with each shot. But he was so CONCENTRATED that never once did he fire off a wild shot.

Bob Wright

·
Supporting Member
891 Posts
Shipwreck said:
9mm would be where I would start. I don't agree that you need a 22 to start. As this is the first time, and maybe his only tim, I'd start w/ 9mm. I took my 67 year old mom to the range for her 1st time, and we used 9mm. So did my wife for her 1st time. And, in the CCW classes, I have seen an 80 year old lady pass w/ a 9mm Glock - she never even held a gun before (the class provided her the gun).

Don't be worse than an 80 year old lady :p :p :roll: :wink:
+1 I have never agreed that you should start with a 22. IMHO due to it's lack of recoil it can start some bad habbits that can hurt with larger calibers. My wife started with a 9mm and all my family and friends started their women and young adults with a 9mm or 380.

·
Registered
663 Posts
jwkimber45 said:
.22 first

.45 ACP

Just a thought, I'm sure he'll have a lot fun regardless.[/quote
+1
I started with a .22 and still go back to one when I get to flinching from the larger calibers. With a Revolver you can load 1 or 2 cylinders and snap it until it hits a loaded cylinder to stop flinching, but not a Auto. ]

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'd have to go with the .22 first just to make sure firing a gun doesn't intimidate. It certainly will not hurt anything. Ease him up to a .45 after .38's or 9mm, etc. Then let him have a go at a full power 10mm. :-D :-D :-D :-D Just kidding. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think a large framed 9mm - preferably metal if you have one (like a Beretta 92) to minimize the recoil... Then, let the person go to town :roll:

G

·
First gun definatly needs to be a Ruger MKII. You decide then on more potent cartidges after that, but make sure he gets to shoot the MKII handgun first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
.22 for at least a mag/cylinder. Then 9mm. At that point, you should be able to handle anything. You've got it in your head that the gun is going to move around, and if you're a nice guy you'll make damn sure he knows that the gun is going to move around more with larger calibers. Take a video camera if you've got one :)

-=Whittey=-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts