Handgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit I had issues with handguns back in the day. I grew up in east L.A. where gun violence was rampant.
My fear of handguns was intensified back in '99 when a good friend of mine was shot in the head by stray gunfire on my block. He was a straight A student with a great future. That was the last straw for me.
About 3 years ago my wife asked if we could get a gun someday for home protection, I objected.
I said, "We will never have a gun in our home, ever!"
Months later while visiting my in-laws, my father-in-law who happened to be a Vietnam Vet pulled out his guns for
cleaning. I watched him as everyone in the house went about their business. It dawned on me that this man had been through hell and lost a few friends in combat, but there he was safely handling his guns without alarming those around him. I talked to him about his feelings on gun ownership and began to develop a desire to conquer my fear. So I went for it, and decided to take a course along with my wife and can now say with great pride that I am a convert.
I'd been training in martial arts for 18 years and always figured it was enough that there was a 6'1 225 lbs black belt standing between my family and any threat out there. But now that I'm buying a house and starting a family with my beautiful wife, the thought of some scumbag or scumbags breaking into my home and destroying what I love and worked so hard to attain bothers me to no end.
I thoroughly respect the right for any citizen to arm himself or herself for self defense.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
welcome to our forum, and for joining us in the world of responsible gun ownership members are always welcome in both...........

RCG

·
Registered
472 Posts
You did the right thing for you & your family. What was cool to read is that both of you did the class. See how gun safety is set up,There is no way anyone can get hurt. I teach 4-h juniors Three-Position Air Rifle Shooting.There is just one way to be real good with a firearm. Practice as much as you can,So you know your pistol like the back of your hand.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Your's was the best way to come to this. Prior to this, I suspect you were probably unreachable where guns are concerned. Welcome.

Months later while visiting my in-laws, my father-in-law who happened to be a Vietnam Vet pulled out his guns for cleaning.
I may be wrong, but I suspect that this might have been specifically for your benefit.

·
Banned
1,366 Posts
Welcome...from someone who studied martial arts when I was younger, even Bruce Lee couldn't stop a bullet.........and remember, it doesn't take a parachute to skydive, it only takes a parachute to skydive twice........

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome. I'm a believer in gun ownership, but I think I can understand the reservations you had. I respect someone who confronts and overcomes their fears, and I applaud you for doing that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts