Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else has posted this but I just heard about it. Here's a link to the text of the Joint Combat Pistol (JCP). The US Special Operations Command [USSOCOM] issued a solicitation in August 2005 to obtain commercially available non-developmental item (NDI) Joint Combat Pistol (JCP) system, Caliber .45 (ACP).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/jcp.htm

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
I have read on other sites that they have since changed their mind - there will not be a joint combat pistol - There will still be an order of guns, and that is up in the air - but they won't be replacing all those Beretta M9s for a while, afterall. So, supposedly, the contract will be for a lot less guns.

I hope HK gets it w/ their HK45, though.

G

·
I hope the military sticks with 9mm instead of .45s. 9mm have higher velocity and hit a target quicker than a .45s cheap 750 FPS muzzle velocity. :roll:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maser said:
I hope the military sticks with 9mm instead of .45s. 9mm have higher velocity and hit a target quicker than a .45s cheap 750 FPS muzzle velocity. :roll:
9mm does not have the stopping power the .45 acp does

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maser said:
Seems to me that the "cheap" .45 with its 750fps velocity is more than sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
Remember, the military uses FMJ, not hollow points. And, the velocity of an avg .45 ACP is higher than you listed - I checked, and it averages 830-850 fps. So, .45 is better than 9mm when used in FMJ.

I prefer the 45 myself, I just have all 9mms because of the ammo cost, and I am satisfied w/ the 9mm.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Method said:
Seems to me that the "cheap" .45 with its 750fps velocity is more than sufficient.
+1
The 1911 has worked well for 2 World Wars and many "Police Actions" not to mention today with the Specops guys.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
.45 Ball Vs. 9mm ball = .45 wins

.45 Ball vs. 9mm JHP= 9mm wins

.45JHP Vs. 9mm JHP = .45 wins (But 9 will still do the job)

:-D

·
Registered
26 Posts
-gunut- said:
.45 Ball Vs. 9mm ball = .45 wins

.45 Ball vs. 9mm JHP= 9mm wins

.45JHP Vs. 9mm JHP = .45 wins (But 9 will still do the job)

shot placement trumps all equations.......

Gary

·
Registered
577 Posts
The real question is what is best when you run outta ammo and have to throw the gun at someone?

A 45 is generally heavier: hence - it makes a better rock to throw than a 9mm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maser said:
If I was a soldier I would much rather have a sidearm that holds 15 in the mag rather than the 1911 which is only 7.
First: it's 7 + 1 in the chamber, and they have MAGs that hold 8, so 8 + 1 :roll:

Second: If I was a soldier I would want a gun that drops my enemy in one hit, and not 40! :x

Third: My first post! Hello from Alaska! YEEHAAA!!! :twisted:

G

·
The 1911 did pretty damn well in 2 world wars. My grandfather carried a Colt 1911 in WWII. Everyone that I personally know who are in the military prefer the .45acp. Especially special ops...

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I had a choice of caliber to carry in combat, it would be the 5.7 From FN

·
Super Moderator
12,378 Posts
-gunut- said:
I bet you anything that it will! :-D
See, all the S&W guys on that forum are betting on the .45 version of the M&P.

We'll have to see. But, that HK 45 looks pretty sweet :) - That might be the gun that gets me back into 45s... We'll see next year...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts