Handgun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - Maybe I should clarify. I'm putting together a "teaching" situation, and I need to explain what a two stage trigger is. I have an AR-15 that is single stage, and I thought I could use the beretta 96 as an example of a two stage trigger.
Also in my earlier post I meant to say that there is a small amount of play before the trigger stops and you know any more force will engage the hammer - and the gun fires.
I have emailed beretta tech support - no reply yet - I'd appreciate it if someone could verify this for me.
Thanks,
Hollow

G

·
223HollowPoint said:
ok - Maybe I should clarify. I'm putting together a "teaching" situation, and I need to explain what a two stage trigger is. I have an AR-15 that is single stage, and I thought I could use the beretta 96 as an example of a two stage trigger.
Also in my earlier post I meant to say that there is a small amount of play before the trigger stops and you know any more force will engage the hammer - and the gun fires.
I have emailed beretta tech support - no reply yet - I'd appreciate it if someone could verify this for me.
Thanks,
Hollow
I'd call beretta usa, you'll be waiting awhile to get that e-mail back. :) I learned long ago that if need a question answered from beretta, the quickest way is a phone call. (800) 636-3420

This site may help you a bit...He talks briefly about his 2 stage trigger on his Beretta 87.

http://www.ssaa.org.au/newssaa/101-StoriesReviews/handguns/beretta87.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just checked google - one of the sites stated that a two stage trigger means that the trigger is doing something other than just breaking the sear when you move it - a one-stage trigger is quick, short and crisp; a two stage trigger is longer.

The trigger on the 92/96 is so long because it has to slowly raise up the firing pin block, then the sear breaks.

This is my best guess at the two stage trigger

G

·
Greetings...

Yes - a 2 stage trigger is one that travels a bit = before engaging the sear and releasing the hammer/firing pin...

Why? Because a 2 stage trigger is MORE accurate over all - it enforces intention - in other words, you must PULL the trigger to discharge...

Your finger is put at the VERY point of discharge - and flinch/TIME is reduced to it's minimum....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Trying shooting a stock Springfield XD. That to me is a 2 stage trigger. There's PLENTY of pre-travel. It's not a double action trigger so you're not prepping any firing mechanism during the pre-travel period. It's just slack (stage 1).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I didn't get back to this. But for those that might care, I called Beretta and they confirmed that the 92/96 does NOT have a 2 stage trigger. I almost said it did in my podcasst - "phew"

:smt023

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If you will forgive the intrusion of an old sixgunner, the double action revolver is often fired as a "two-stage" pull.

As the trigger is cycled, it unlocks and rotates the cylinder and cocks the hammer in a smooth pull, then there is a noticable pause and more pressure is applied to fire the revolver. There is a definite hesitation. This as opposed to one long smooth continuous pull.

It firing double action with single action control.

Make sense?

Bob Wright

1 - 8 of 8 Posts