Handgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding Trijicon sights to my Cougar 8000F. Is this something I could do myself? or should I send the slide to Trijicon and have them do it?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,472 Posts
U can buy the sights and a local smith can put them on. That will probably be cheaper than sending the gun to Trijicon, although U could do that as well.

Without the proper sight pusher/sight removal tool, you will more than likely scratch the hell out of your slide.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shipwreck said:
U can buy the sights and a local smith can put them on. That will probably be cheaper than sending the gun to Trijicon, although U could do that as well.

Without the proper sight pusher/sight removal tool, you will more than likely scratch the hell out of your slide.
I talked to a gunsmith today who came highly recommended. He said that he would only charge me $15.00 to replace my current sights with the Trijicon night sights.

I'm going that route. Plus, Trijicon will only warranty the sights if a licensed gunsmith does the work.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Shipwreck, I vastly prefer Meprolites to Trijicons. I have had both, and I have almost everything switched over to Meps. While they are pretty much equally bright in the dark, I find the Meps’ front site far easier to acquire in lighted conditions. The circle of paint around the core is much larger. Try before you buy.

Just my .02!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
js said:
GunCastGuy said:
Like Shipwreck, I vastly prefer Meprolites to Trijicons. I have had both, and I have almost everything switched over to Meps. While they are pretty much equally bright in the dark, I find the Meps' front site far easier to acquire in lighted conditions. The circle of paint around the core is much larger. Try before you buy.

Just my .02!
I've seen the Trijicon. A range buddy had some on his gun. After looking and aiming through mine, it was a huge difference when looking at his. I wish I knew someone close by who is using the Meprolites. I've already ordered some Trijicons for my Beretta Cougar, I still would like to purchase some sights for my 92. The only thing about the 92 is that the front site is fixed on the slide. So I'm guessing I'll only be able to replace the rear sight and get some brighter floresent type paint for the front sight. I going to check more into the Meprolite for the 92. Then I'll have something to compare.

Here's what I ordered: Rear sight color is Yellow, Front sight is Green.

Hey! this could be a good topic for your podcast... :)

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,472 Posts
Is there a guns tore nearby that sells KImber 1911's? They use mepros (some do, some have black sights). Check that out.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shipwreck said:
Is there a guns tore nearby that sells KImber 1911's? They use mepros (some do, some have black sights). Check that out.
Yes, a few... I'll have to go and check them out tomorrow. I believe I saw one in the gun case at Gander Mtn. the other day. If I get a break today, I'll head that way and see if that Kimber has the Meprolite sights, or any of the guns for sale for that matter.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,472 Posts
I really like them. They are my fav night sights.

But for range use, I like standard, bright white dots. I plan to keep stock sights on all my guns for now :)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Trijicon sights came in today, I'll head over to the gunsmith on my way to work and see if he can put them in. Just out of the package and stepping into a dark room with them, they're very bright...I can't wait to see them on my cougar. :smt071

My oversized 92 mag release button came in on Friday (Thanks to ber275), so It's been like christmas around here for my guns... 8)


Now, if only my backordered cougar holster would come in...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top