Handgun Forum banner

The infamous SD40VE and SD9VE jamming issue!

90K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Shipwreck 
#1 ·
I went to the range for the first time with my SD40VE Smith & Wesson and I can't say anything BAD about that gun. Accuracy=100% Feel in hand=100% NO JAMMING ISSUES AT ALL!!!!!!!!! I used winchester 180 grain target ammo and that was 100% accurate. I've shot 1911's, Sig Sauers, and Glocks that performed alot worse then my S&W SD40VE. Well worth the 360.00. Remember, it's not the brand or cost that matters it's how it feels in your hand that matters!! If you want too spend 800.00-1000.00 on a Sig or HK because of the brand, YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY!

#4 ·
I've shot 1911's, Sig Sauers, and Glocks that performed alot worse then my S&W SD40VE. Well worth the 360.00. Remember, it's not the brand or cost that matters it's how it feels in your hand that matters!! If you want too spend 800.00-1000.00 on a Sig or HK because of the brand, YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY!
Anyone who says that has never owned one, not to rain on your parade but if I was an LEO I would NOT take an SD40VE over Glock, Sig, or HK and I assure you they are worth the extra money.

It's not that your SD40VE is a bad gun, its just those guns are indeed worth the extra money. You get alot trust me.

#8 ·
jaucp777: "If you want too spend 800.00-1000.00 on a Sig or HK because of the brand, YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY!"
Anyone who says that has never owned one, not to rain on your parade but if I was an LEO I would NOT take an SD40VE over Glock, Sig, or HK and I assure you they are worth the extra money.

It's not that your SD40VE is a bad gun, its just those guns are indeed worth the extra money. You get alot trust me.
+1 No qualms with the SD but that's a bold statement. Let's revist after 10000 rounds through the SD. The SD9 and SD40 have a lot of promise particularily at that price point but an apples to apples comparison with brands that have been thoroughly vetted over 20+ years of hard service is more than a bit much.

#9 ·
I bought my SD40VE in January and i have put maybe 50 rounds through it at most. At first I had no issues but the last time i shot it, it had a failure to feed, it was like the round had been chambered but the slide just didnt close all the way, if it tapped the back of the slide with the palm of my hand the problem was solved....it did it 7 or 8 times before i decided i wanted to shoot another gun. My friend also bought the same gun two weeks before me and he had the same issue but the more he shoots it the more it seems to clear up. I have heard with these guns many of times that you wana get some ammo through them in the begininng because they will straighten out....anyone else find that to be true?

#10 ·
dockrocket -

I've never had a problem with my Sigma 40VE but I noticed with shooting a couple of boxes of ammo through it & lots of dry firing the trigger smoothed out just as expected. So it makes sense that with use your gun will break in.

A few suggestions even though you haven't had a feed problem - polish the feed ramp & make double sure the slide rails are lubed but not to excess. Work the slide a dozen or so times after you lube the rails to make sure some gets transferred to it. Some who have had sticking slides with various pistols claim that Froglube appeared to have fixed the problem. I've been using Break Free CLP on my Sigma & plan on getting some Froglube for my M&P 40C when it arrives. My buddy will buy the Sigma at that time & I'll offer to Froglube the Sigma if he wants.

There's also a possibility that the recoil spring is weak but that's doubtful on a new gun.

#11 ·
I bought my SD40VE in January and i have put maybe 50 rounds through it at most. At first I had no issues but the last time i shot it, it had a failure to feed, it was like the round had been chambered but the slide just didnt close all the way, if it tapped the back of the slide with the palm of my hand the problem was solved....it did it 7 or 8 times before i decided i wanted to shoot another gun. My friend also bought the same gun two weeks before me and he had the same issue but the more he shoots it the more it seems to clear up. I have heard with these guns many of times that you wana get some ammo through them in the begininng because they will straighten out....anyone else find that to be true?
very common with small slides, clean it , lube it, might be a little limp wristing going on ,IMO
,my glock 27 did the same thing about three times for the first 100 rounds.. my issue was rapid firing with limp wristing

#12 ·
Well I bought my SD40VE at Academy for $299.00 in January and then could not find a 9mm until February and by then Academy had gone to $329. I just happened to be at the range and at my LGS and a guy had ordered a SD9VE and they had tried to call him several times that day with no luck and they said if I wanted it I could have it for $336 to cover there transfer fee and I carried her home. I have put a several hundred rounds through both and have had zero issues. I changed the triggers out and put Apex Tactical trigger kits in them and Dawson Precision Optic Sites and let me tell you, I will put it up against any other out there. Since then I have bought a M&P 9 FDE and a M&P 22LR and put the Dawson sites on the 22. I am buying a M&P9c for concealed carry and am researching IWB holsters. Also looking at a Beretta PX4 StormC and a Ruger SR9C. I think the SD series are awesome and they are spot on.

#15 ·
I have put over 500 rounds through mine...flawlessly. I've taken it to an indoor range a few times and last Saturday another hundred at a CCW class. I really like it, feels good in hand, comfortable to shoot and very accurate.
The one thing I would like to see improved is the field strip procedure. The catches are rather hard to move.

#16 ·
Wide body take down plate for SD-VE and Sigma VE

I have put over 500 rounds through mine...flawlessly. I've taken it to an indoor range a few times and last Saturday another hundred at a CCW class. I really like it, feels good in hand, comfortable to shoot and very accurate.
The one thing I would like to see improved is the field strip procedure. The catches are rather hard to move.
This is the one thing that S&W missed the boat on. Had they simply made a slightly larger radiused area at the take down plates, it would have been perfect. Look at a Glock and compare the 2 areas and see what I mean. I mean that was just BS. But here is your savior. Wide body take down plate for SD-VE and Sigma VE. SIGMA and SD Performance | Galloway Precision It is $15.00 and easy to install and when you put it in, your take down will be a cake walk. You just take the old one out and install the wider one. I put them in my SD9 and SD40, and am installing Polished Assembled Stainless Steel Guide Rods in both. Chris that owns Galloways is awesome and makes a host of upgrade parts for a number of different weapons.

#18 ·
Have you watched the YouTube reviews on the sd9 ve/sd40 ve? Outstanding reviews. Many people actually claim these 2 models are equal to or better than a glock. I have an sd9ve and it is absolutely incredible. It will eat any ammo you feed it, including numerous ammo types in the same clip. I understand the "you get what you pay for" thinking, but there is almost always an exception to the rule, and this inexpensive handgun is it.

#19 ·
jaucp777: "If you want too spend 800.00-1000.00 on a Sig or HK because of the brand, YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY!"

+1 No qualms with the SD but that's a bold statement. Let's revist after 10000 rounds through the SD. The SD9 and SD40 have a lot of promise particularily at that price point but an apples to apples comparison with brands that have been thoroughly vetted over 20+ years of hard service is more than a bit much.
Lol...he said Glock is more experienced than Smith & Wesson. That is what you meant, right? Well, seeing as Smith & Wesson have been around since the cowboys and indians, Id say your comment is forced and not thought through. My SD9 VE has had 850+ rounds through it, and I'd put it up against your Glock any day of the week. The SD's have already proven themselves. The polymer frame has steel rails built in, replacement parts, should I need them, are crazy cheap, the gun is accurate and has a great feel to it...just feels right. Oh, and my 9 got 16 round clips bitch! Lol...had to gangster out that last comment, sorry...lol

#20 ·
New to forum and first time gun owner - have owned shotguns for years. Bought a new SD40VE for Christmas. Went out to test fire. Loaded the clip with 14 rounds, pulled the trigger, and nothing. Checked both clips - same result. Checked to make sure it is loading in chamber, and all seems fine. Suggestions?

#21 ·
New to forum and first time gun owner - have owned shotguns for years. Bought a new SD40VE for Christmas. Went out to test fire. Loaded the clip with 14 rounds, pulled the trigger, and nothing. Checked both clips - same result. Checked to make sure it is loading in chamber, and all seems fine. Suggestions?
Are you getting a strike mark on the bullet casings primer?

#23 ·
I've been very happy with my 9VE over the last couple of years I've owned it. It has always been 100% with no problems. I'm probably one of the few people that actually like the trigger. It works like it was designed to work.
I have one of the older SW40VE's, and I like the 8 pound trigger as well. I have owned that gun for about 4 years now, and it has always ran fine for me. I have put about 600 rounds through mine, and still don't remember any sort of jamming issues.

#24 ·
I have taken my new SD40VE to the range a few times, loaded 14 in the mag and fired with no issues. I have used Winchester 165g FMJ, Sellier & Bellot 180g FMJ and Winchester PDX1 JHP. If you are having issues I would contact S&W and send it in for repair. Send the mags with it also. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.