Handgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
If the bad guys are the only ones with ammo, where are they getting it?
Since they aren't as picky as the average Handgun Forumer, they are stealing, buying from underground sources (DO NOT underestimate these avenues), relying on old stock, they don't go to the range and put 500 rounds at a sitting on the line, and some may even be counting on a surplus of loading material, that they aren't all that picky over either.
Where there is a will their is a way, and they don't scoff at $100 per box ammo like we do around here. Larger cities have more gun shops that have a limited and steady supply of ammo as long as you are willing to be there when it is stocked and pay their prices.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Online seems to best for me. Pay attention to "average" prices and decide what you are willing to pay. Check online frequently and buy immediately when you see it. The prices SUCK right now but I will bet anything they will continue to rise. In six months we will be fondly looking back at the "good old days" of when 9mm was only $500 a case....

·
Banned
249 Posts
Good price compared to what I've been seeing.
, I've been strictly looking for 9 mm on ammoseek, nothing under .60 cents.
If I had a choice , is brass superior to steel casings ?
Yes. Bullet casings are made from brass for a reason- its softer and slicker than steel which translates to smoother functioning and less wear on the gun. The whole point of steel cases is that they SHOULD be much cheaper than brass. I've seen steel cased 9mm going for almost as much as brass. At current prices, paying a little more for brass makes sense- at least for me. The exceptions to the steel case/brass case info I just stated are guns that were engineered to run on steel cased ammo like the ak47.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I see thousand round lots available on gunbroker from many sellers. 9 mil is about $1 a round. Since there appears to be a lot of high priced ammo online, it makes me think this “shortage” has been manufactured by several or many large volume buyers who stocked up over the last year in anticipation of just such a market spike. Kinda like what the etraders did to Gamestop stock when they bought lots of it to spike the market and kill the short selling hedge fund traders. Everything I read says manufacturers are working overtime trying to meet orders. I think alot of this “shortage” was contrived. And it’s being perpetuated by those who run to Walmart or Dicks just to buy a couple 50 round boxes of high priced something just because they have it. I have enough for now to just sit and wait. It will come down eventually.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I do not see it doing anything but rising in the Future. More gun laws now and more coming in the future. I believe the Ammo manufactures are not expanding their operations because they fear a glut in the market like before, but because they fear Liberals are going to come after them. The Liberals are going to do everything to hit the Manufacturers as hard as hell with all kinds of laws. The manufacturers know they might end up to selling to just the Police and the Military and the civilian market will be dead.
China is slowly taking over the US. The question is, will they allow US Citizens to own firearms and weapons? Lol, not a chance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just looked at Cheaper than DIrt. 22LR for .69 and .50 cents a round. Are you kidding me? Back in 2010 I was able to get 525 Federal value pack for about 13$ on sale. No ammo at all at Bass Pro here or Runnings. All local mom and pop firearms stores are out of everything. Been that way since October at least. It this keeps up there will be no competitions in rifle, pistol or shotgun this year. Other on-line retailers have zero ammo still. Usually during winter there are sales like crazy. My bet is the ranges will be pretty empty this season.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Just looked at Cheaper than DIrt. 22LR for .69 and .50 cents a round. Are you kidding me? Back in 2010 I was able to get 525 Federal value pack for about 13$ on sale. No ammo at all at Bass Pro here or Runnings. All local mom and pop firearms stores are out of everything. Been that way since October at least. It this keeps up there will be no competitions in rifle, pistol or shotgun this year. Other on-line retailers have zero ammo still. Usually during winter there are sales like crazy. My bet is the ranges will be pretty empty this season.
Cheaper than Dirt is a misnomer just about everything they sell is more expensive than their competitors.

·
Registered
513 Posts
CTD isn't a good barometer for pricing in most cased good or bad times. Comparing prices to 11 years ago is rather irrelevant.
Welcome to 2019. Shortages and insane prices have been the norm for over a year.
People still seem to surprised by this fact.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I see thousand round lots available on gunbroker from many sellers. 9 mil is about $1 a round. Since there appears to be a lot of high priced ammo online, it makes me think this "shortage" has been manufactured by several or many large volume buyers who stocked up over the last year in anticipation of just such a market spike. Kinda like what the etraders did to Gamestop stock when they bought lots of it to spike the market and kill the short selling hedge fund traders. Everything I read says manufacturers are working overtime trying to meet orders. I think alot of this "shortage" was contrived. And it's being perpetuated by those who run to Walmart or Dicks just to buy a couple 50 round boxes of high priced something just because they have it. I have enough for now to just sit and wait. It will come down eventually.
You can still get ammo for much better prices if you are willing and able to be waiting in line at a big chain store like academy an hour before they open on the day truck comes in. But 2 box max of any quantity box so you better hope they have at least half cases on the day you go.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
I just got home from Scheels All Sports and it did not suck. I picked up a case of trap ammo for $84. I called our team captain who also needs ammo for this season and he said he would pick up a case tomorrow. My reply was "Would you like to make a bet?"

·
Registered
488 Posts
BETTER WAKE UP AND SMELL THE TEA!

Ammo? Lol, where do you think availability will be in 6 months, one year?

How about just copper alone? Better wake up and smell the Tea.

"This surge looks like a re-run of the financial crisis a decade ago."

"Then, as now, China sucked up the rest of the world's copper surplus on a combination of low prices, stimulus-induced economic recovery and a wave of stock-building, both commercial and strategic."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN27P23D

·
Banned
249 Posts
BETTER WAKE UP AND SMELL THE TEA!

Ammo? Lol, where do you think availability will be in 6 months, one year?

How about just copper alone? Better wake up and smell the Tea.

"This surge looks like a re-run of the financial crisis a decade ago."

"Then, as now, China sucked up the rest of the world's copper surplus on a combination of low prices, stimulus-induced economic recovery and a wave of stock-building, both commercial and strategic."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN27P23D

Yep. Now is the time to stock up. Grab up "good" deals and shoot as little as possible-Only enough to keep from getting rusty or keep food on the table.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Some base metals like nickel are stable due to the lack of demand for metal used in jet engines. The local factory that makes most of that metal is almost shutdown due to lack of orders. Copper on the other hand is going up. There is plenty in AZ but are they mining? Is lead being mined in the US? I doubt it. The last lead smelter shut down years ago. Most lead now comes from mines in Mexico and South America as a by product of silver mining. Zinc, a metal used to make brass, is a common metal but its price is also on the rise.
As far as the big box stores having ammo from time to time, it is not happening here in upstate NY. The shelves are empty and have been for months.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Some base metals like nickel are stable due to the lack of demand for metal used in jet engines. The local factory that makes most of that metal is almost shutdown due to lack of orders. Copper on the other hand is going up. There is plenty in AZ but are they mining? Is lead being mined in the US? I doubt it. The last lead smelter shut down years ago. Most lead now comes from mines in Mexico and South America as a by product of silver mining. Zinc, a metal used to make brass, is a common metal but its price is also on the rise.
As far as the big box stores having ammo from time to time, it is not happening here in upstate NY. The shelves are empty and have been for months.
Have you tried being there when the truck comes in or are they just not getting any at all? You may have some luck on the sigsauer website. They update their stock at about 0415. It sells out fast(minutes) so go ahead and make an account. Check every morning. They still get 9mm a couple times a week and sell it for very reasonable prices. Not to mention sig makes good ammo. I'm not going to go into my feelings on their guns or customer service but I will say they make great ammo.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Right now I a
Have you tried being there when the truck comes in or are they just not getting any at all? You may have some luck on the sigsauer website. They update their stock at about 0415. It sells out fast(minutes) so go ahead and make an account. Check every morning. They still get 9mm a couple times a week and sell it for very reasonable prices. Not to mention sig makes good ammo. I'm not going to go into my feelings on their guns or customer service but I will say they make great ammo.
Right now I am looking for 22LR. Have plenty 9mm, 223, 30-30 to last maybe 2 to 3 years. But with 2 22 hand guns and 2 22 rifles, I go through a lot of 22LR.
The 2 big box stores, Bass Pro and Runnings have not had a round of center fire or rimfire for the past 5 months. I have asked in person when they will be getting another shipment and all I get is a shrug. I doubt they are lying. Still nothing at Target Sports USA. Bulk Ammo has 22LR but .32 a round. That is price gouging when the normal price for 525 rounds is around 4 to 5 cents a round.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Right now I a

Right now I am looking for 22LR. Have plenty 9mm, 223, 30-30 to last maybe 2 to 3 years. But with 2 22 hand guns and 2 22 rifles, I go through a lot of 22LR.
The 2 big box stores, Bass Pro and Runnings have not had a round of center fire or rimfire for the past 5 months. I have asked in person when they will be getting another shipment and all I get is a shrug. I doubt they are lying. Still nothing at Target Sports USA. Bulk Ammo has 22LR but .32 a round. That is price gouging when the normal price for 525 rounds is around 4 to 5 cents a round.
Target sports is NOT price gouging. One of the best online ammo suppliers out there and I always give the 5 plus stars. You just did not do you homework from a year ago. 22.cal has a huge shortage just like anything else. I saw the 22,cal shortage coming back in March of last year. And started stocking up them to my already LARGE SUPPLY!
Here is a pic of Partial of 22lr ammo I Bought starting in March from TargetSports and only lasted for a few months. I knew back then the 22lr would be soon to follow the 9mm etc.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Right now I a

The price of raw materials has gone up so everything is more expensive. I picked up a couple of boxes of .22lr at one of my favorite local stores the other day and paid more than I ever have(or thought I ever would). I know they aren't scalping the price but the way he put it to me was this. "Right now, we can choose between stocking almost no cheap ammo or some expensive ammo". Even the gun stores are having trouble getting ammo- especially the small local ones we all prefer. But as my grandfather used to say "this too shall pass". I feel sorry for the people who didn't see this coming and prepare but this will be a very valuable lesson for a lot of people. Most people will never make the mistake of being unprepared again. This is a lesson that applies to EVERTHING we may need, not just ammo. First and most important thing I learned in boy scouts- BE PREPARED.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
I don't know if there are any bird hunting trap shooting types out there aside from @Tangof, but I have had great luck at Scheels Friday and again today at Walmart. I bought a case of trap loads at each store and they had more left when I checked out.
I thought Walmart had ceased to sell ammo, but I'm guessing they found some old stock.:cool:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Actually Walmart get shipments in of Birdshot and occasionally Buckshot. I have bought about 6 cases in the past few months. But it is getting harder. One of the clerks told me that there are a few guys that come from out of state and buy every thing and do this weekly. I asked why he sold all to them, and he told me Management said just move it.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I don't know if there are any bird hunting trap shooting types out there aside from @Tangof, but I have had great luck at Scheels Friday and again today at Walmart. I bought a case at each store and they had more left when I checked out.
I thought Walmart had ceased to sell ammo, but I'm guessing they found some old stock.:cool:
They quit selling pistol ammo. I will never forgive myself for not buying all the 9mm they had the day it was on sale to get rid of it all. It wakes me up at night. My wife knows if she hears me cussing in the shower not to come check if I'm ok because I'm just thinking about the Walmart pistol ammo again...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts