Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the local sporting goods stores three times this week looking for .22 LR and 9 mm. They have zilch. That is, unless you're looking for .22 Hornet or .45-70. This is getting really old. The online sites that I've visited aren't much better. Is there any hope in sight?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I've been to the local sporting goods stores three times this week looking for .22 LR and 9 mm. They have zilch. That is, unless you're looking for .22 Hornet or .45-70. This is getting really old. The online sites that I've visited aren't much better. Is there any hope in sight?
One store I went to had one box of Buffalo Bore 340 grain +P+ in .44 Magnum if you're interested.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nothing here for months. And I don't see the shortage ending anytime soon. Make every round count. At least back in 2012 there was some ammo and from time to time stores would get shipments and the rush was on. But now there is zero ammo of any type. The shelves, where the ammo usually is displayed, are filled with accessories. How do the stores even sell firearms when the buyer cant even get a box of 20 to check it out at the range? I am guessing if this continues that there is a problem with the supply chain somewhere. If the factories are running 24/7, where is the ammo?
An on-line store I use from time to time: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/ has zero anything. How do they stay in business when they havent shipped a round in over 4 months? They sell accessories but ammo is their primary product. I have been on their "notify" list for months for 22LR and 9MM and haven't heard a peep.I dont get it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not at the moment. Manufacturers claim to be at capacity, and probably are. I doubt any increased capacity because they didn't learn anything from any of the other lean years. Now they just whine about the heat they are getting, and there are more shooters than ever before jockeying for the little ammo there is.
Hand loaders are even taking a hit. No components out there, at least not in my area, and none are expected because "all of them are being used for new ammo".
With current environments, two things will now come into play. Restrictions and demand. Demand has taken care of it so far, but any added slow downs will just make it worse. It will just have to play out.

Reactions: berettatoter

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have an LGS here in the town I live that has "rationed" customers and permits purchase of 3 boxes per week (any combo of calibers).

There is always ammo on the shelf in all calibers.

His rationing has worked well (he logs purchases by name at the register). He doesn't gouge either... I pay $2.99 for ea box of 50rds of std velocity CCI for example. $25 for 500rd box of bulk Aguila, etc. Centerfire reasonable too

I consider myself lucky to live here

I also reload and have lots of powder primers and bullets

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm probably done buying ammo until at least 2022. Once I'm low I'll just stop shooting until it's affordable again.

Reactions: berettatoter

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Yup. Just like the one in 2013-2015. Yes, it sucks.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I just scored 100 .45 ACP @$.50 per round and two boxes of .223 for $10 per box of 20 rounds. Cool part is I did not have to search for it. My friend knew I was looking for some and offered.:cool:

Reactions: pic

·
Supporting Member
5,606 Posts
I just scored 100 .45 ACP @$.50 per round and two boxes of .223 for $10 per box of 20 rounds. Cool part is I did not have to search for it. My friend knew I was looking for some and offered.:cool:
Good price compared to what I've been seeing.
, I've been strictly looking for 9 mm on ammoseek, nothing under .60 cents.
If I had a choice , is brass superior to steel casings ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good price compared to what I've been seeing.
, I've been strictly looking for 9 mm on ammoseek, nothing under .60 cents.
If I had a choice , is brass superior to steel casings ?
Yes, but not as much as some would have you believe.
Brass will usually be higher quality ammo, but not always. Brass also expands to seal chambers and not allow blow by. Brass also is almost exclusively boxer primed and more easily reloaded.
Steel is non expandable in the shot process. It is very mild and in reality not much harder than brass on extractors and ejectors. People say it is "dirty" and it kinda is, but not so much from the powder as the blow by because of lack of expansion noted above.
It works, it is cheap(er), it may be more easily found, and if you clean your guns, will do you just fine.
I have rifles that have lived on a steady diet of steel ammo and have not seen any "worse for the wear" in them. Hornady used to make a steel cased match for 5.56 and it was a gem.
I don't do hundreds of round ammo dumps, or shoot auto so I can't help with the "Studies" that some companies have put out. Just my use.

Reactions: pic

·
Registered
392 Posts
My guns love Steel case ammo. Before the shortage, I was getting Tula shipped right to my door for $6.00 per box and ordering cases at a time. No additional shipping. Those days are over. While I have a large stock of ammo, from hoarding for years, I do not shoot my guns any longer. I have gone down from shooting about 1500-2000 rds of 9mm alone each month before the shortage to ZERO now. Occasionally will shoot some 22.cal, but very rare.
This sport is over. Done. All my ammo now will be used for self defense in the future. Not buying any guns etc. I have been purchasing spare parts for my guns so I can repair them myself if necessary. Also have been purchasing more AMMO cans for storage.

From my records the ammo shortage really started going south in March of last year and now about 1 year later, down to almost nothing now and getting worse each and every day.
One more year from now will be done for good. 4 years from now, you can only guess if you will even be able to have a gun. The system is to keep all honest citizens without protection. The Bad Guys will be the only People with guns and ammo. Every shell shot now, is one less than you will have in the future.

·
Registered
449 Posts
From my records the ammo shortage really started going south in March of last year and now about 1 year later, down to almost nothing now and getting worse each and every day.
One more year from now will be done for good. 4 years from now, you can only guess if you will even be able to have a gun. The system is to keep all honest citizens without protection. The Bad Guys will be the only People with guns and ammo. Every shell shot now, is one less than you will have in the future.
Man, I'll bet you are the life of every party. rainy_cloud_3.gif
I really hope you are wrong, but many of us don't see much relief in the near future. Hopefully we can ride this out and be on to better days.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Man, I'll bet you are the life of every party. View attachment 19528
I really hope you are wrong, but many of us don't see much relief in the near future. Hopefully we can ride this out and be on to better days.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Sometimes ya just got to call a spade a spade. I see no sense in Sugar Coating it. Better to be prepared now then waiting for the storm to be right over the top of your head. We already under estimated the enemy and they kicked our A**?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I saw 9mm $33 for 50. That same crap was like $12 before all this. noway. I do have a stock pile but I wish I had alot more.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I heard the 7 million new shooters from 2020 are buying ammo but where are they? My local range is dead. Used to be full & busy even on weekdays but they look like they're about to close down now. Drive past on a Saturday & see maybe 4 cars in the lot, from the people who work there. I'll go a few more times this year then I'm almost out of ammo. I wonder how many gun ranges closed down from the ammo shortage in the past year.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts