Handgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Despite what he said in the video, the 198 ammo is commercially available. CDNN used to sell it if you sent your credentials in - but, like the blue label Glocks, EMS staff even qualified to buy it. Other places just sell it straight out. It's not the S190, but it's the 2nd best commercial round.

And, you can actually buy the 190 online. It just costs a fortune by people reselling the stuff.

· Registered
3,968 Posts
The only claim that stands out is that it can pierce body armor.
I don't need that, and if I did, I would not for very long.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not so fast my friends. Read this article then decide. 5.7x28mm vs. 9mm — Which is Better? - Firearms News
I ran the FN forum years ago, and have owned a Five Seven pistol and three PS90s over the years. I am well aware of what the 5.7 round can and can't do.

I prefer a 9mm handgun to one, but the round does have its uses (I did really love the PS90, though). It is designed to not over penetrate hard targets. If you live in an apartment, it makes a good choice. It penetrates far fewer interior walls than 9mm does. FN even used to advertise this fact many years ago.

I came across the TFB TV video and found it interesting, given that S&W is about to release their own pistol for this round. That's why I posted the video.

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Myself I never had much interest in the 5.7 I guess because I've got enough guns and ammo already in other calibers?
I used to have multiple calibers. I got rid of everything but 9mm a few years back.

However, this new S&W version of the 5.7 really interests me. If I like the way it feels, I plan to jump back into the 5.7 pool and buy one. The more videos I see of this new gun, the more I am interested in it.

· Registered
462 Posts
I used to have multiple calibers. I got rid of everything but 9mm a few years back.

However, this new S&W version of the 5.7 really interests me. If I like the way it feels, I plan to jump back into the 5.7 pool and buy one. The more videos I see of this new gun, the more I am interested in it.
I just bought this one yesterday. They only had one in stock. A FN High Power. Actually a modernized version of one. None of the parts are interchangeable with the original and except for grips and magazines there are very few after market parts available for it. I'm hoping for a stainless steel guide rod and extra recoil springs. Since this gun is relatively new on the market I'm sure that those parts will be available in the not too distant future. I've never owned a High Power before and this modernized version really intrigued me. It's a very well made gun.

The slide is thicker than the original. It has ambidextrous controls, it has a take down lever instead of a button, a larger ejection port, enclosed extractor and a reversible mag release. A complete lack of machining and tool marks with crisp clean roll markings. It holds 17+1 instead of the original 13+1. It's advertised as FDE but has a nice two tone finish with a brown frame and a bronze colored slide with all black controls and a longer beavertail. The trigger guard is undercut so the gun sits lower in the hand. The only thing wrong is the cheap plastic grips. It comes with an extra set of tan grips and two magazines in a nice zippered case. I've already ordered a set of G10's along with some extra magazines from Midwest Gun Works. It has a removable back strap but different sized one's are not available as of yet. But for me the factory one's are perfect. The gun fits my hand like a glove just like my CZ's.

I was hemming and hawing about buying it since it was brand new to the market. But my wife kept pestering me to buy it: "You know you're gonna' buy it anyway and it might be gone". When I brought it home she was like: "Wow what a beautiful looking gun, now aren't you glad you bought it?"Some wife, huh?

I'm not quite sold on the 5.7. I think it's because of aesthetics of the guns and I'd need to stock up on 5.7 ammo for it. At least where I live ammo for the 5.7 is available with supplies limited.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Grey Gun barrel

· Registered
3,280 Posts
I just bought this one yesterday. They only had one in stock. A FN High Power. Actually a modernized version of one. None of the parts are interchangeable with the original and except for grips and magazines there are very few after market parts available for it. I'm hoping for a stainless steel guide rod and extra recoil springs. Since this gun is relatively new on the market I'm sure that those parts will be available in the not too distant future. I've never owned a High Power before and this modernized version really intrigued me. It's a very well made gun.

The slide is thicker than the original. It has ambidextrous controls, it has a take down lever instead of a button, a larger ejection port, enclosed extractor and a reversible mag release. A complete lack of machining and tool marks with crisp clean roll markings. It holds 17+1 instead of the original 13+1. It's advertised as FDE but has a nice two tone finish with a brown frame and a bronze colored slide with all black controls and a longer beavertail. The trigger guard is undercut so the gun sits lower in the hand. The only thing wrong is the cheap plastic grips. It comes with an extra set of tan grips and two magazines in a nice zippered case. I've already ordered a set of G10's along with some extra magazines from Midwest Gun Works. It has a removable back strap but different sized one's are not available as of yet. But for me the factory one's are perfect. The gun fits my hand like a glove just like my CZ's.

I was hemming and hawing about buying it since it was brand new to the market. But my wife kept pestering me to buy it: "You know you're gonna' buy it anyway and it might be gone". When I brought it home she was like: "Wow what a beautiful looking gun, now aren't you glad you bought it?"Some wife, huh?

I'm not quite sold on the 5.7. I think it's because of aesthetics of the guns and I'd need to stock up on 5.7 ammo for it. At least where I live ammo for the 5.7 is available with supplies limited.

View attachment 23429

View attachment 23430
Oh snap! That's nice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts