Handgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Supporting Member
5,681 Posts
I know this thread has been a while, but I wanted to give an account of a recent situation.
We had a bull that decided to turn mean, so I called the kill truck to come get him. The guy shows up and we corner the bull. He hits him dead center in the forehead with a 30-30 round. The bull staggers and then does a hard left and takes out the fence. He comes back around and takes out the fence in a second spot. Headed straight for the guy. He hits him again with another perfect placed 30-30, no effect at all and the bull is still closing on him. He shortstroked the bolt and came up on an empty chamber.
The next thing I know my Glock G29SF is on target right under the bulls ear. The Trueglo TFO sights jumped to my eyes. It seemed as tho with each pull of the trigger, the sights never moved. I put 6 rounds in the side of his head. He was still coming. I moved my sights to the back of his head, to find his spine. That one dropped him instantly. I don't know if a larger handgun would have made any difference, he had already taken 2 perfectly placed 30-30 hits. I do know that I had no perception of recoil. I had Hornady custom hunters in the gun. The 3 of my boys there said I fired all 7 rounds in about 2 seconds. On examination, every round went exactly where I told it to go. If this had been a large revolver, I could not have put the volume of fire in such a short time. I would have run out of ammunition before that fatal shot. I was very happy that I was carrying my 10mm that day (I always do), but not as much as the butcher. The bull landed at about 10 feet from him.
Nice story, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm back to this forum after I-don't-know how long, and I can't resist this subject.. I've had two Glock 20s in two separated periods; then a year-or-three later I bought a Tanfoglio Witness Polymer..
WP left side w lite and ammo boxes_1000w.jpg

(FWIW, the most-powerful of the four factory loads pictured is the Federal, shooting a bonded 180g. bullet at something approaching 1400FPS, IIRC.)

I was a fussy, careful reloadist and did a LOT of shooting and reloading for them.. While I was after HIGH-power PD cartridges I wore my hands out trying to shoot it well and quit the G20s...yes, twice..

After trying the 357SIG and after a couple years, exhausted by the extremely loud shooting, I realized that at least some of the noise was from sonic boom, so I returned to my Tanfoglio 10 and started developing subsonic loads for it.. Why bother, you ask? Just shoot a 40S&W you say? I felt there was a difference between 180g. bullets traveling around 1000FPS and those traveling about 1100FPS, and I developed one using LOW-FLASH HS-6 powder and the EXCELLENT Federal 180g. HST bullet; I still consider that bullet to be the best-performing popularly priced Personal-Defense bullet available.. (The HSTs are the trio on the right.)
2016Jul30_Three 10mm expanded bullets_1800w.jpg

The problem? I obtained the 180g. HSTs by buying 40S&W ammo and pulling the bullets.. I did that and carried the Witness for a year or so.. Eventually I tired of pulling bullets and reloading, so gave up the Big 10..

It is a very powerful handgun if you want it to be and choose or create the right ammo.. I'm currently back to a Smith & Wesson M&P full-size pistol shooting 40S&W Fed. Premium Tactical 180g. HSTs.. FWIW, I'm astonished at how expensive this stuff is now; I used to buy it for as little as less-than-$20 per 50box.
2013Feb28_M&P left_1000w.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
The XDM10 5.25 went away ... to my wife, she stole it from me and has put a O-Light on it and calls it her Kitchen gun. She thought it had better balance than the 4.5. She is a Glock Girl, but the 10 MM Glock's grips are too fat for her liking I am happy for her, sad for me.

I had bought her a new Hellcat too, but that overture was wasted on her

·
Registered
57 Posts
My experience is the 10mm is equivalent to a mild 41magnum but in auto format. Sort of like a 9mm is to a .38 special, either has capacity to be loaded hotter than the auto but usually isn't. .357 Sig is a real contender to a 10mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a New Model Blackhawk Convertible from Lipsey in 40S&W and 10MM. I have not had it long, and do not have very many rounds of either caliber through it. It is a really sweet gun, looks, feels and functions well. As to the power of the 10MM, not once has any paper target I have shot continued its charge towards me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I own a New Model Blackhawk Convertible from Lipsey in 40S&W and 10MM. I have not had it long, and do not have very many rounds of either caliber through it. It is a really sweet gun, looks, feels and functions well. As to the power of the 10MM, not once has any paper target I have shot continued its charge towards me.
What happens around here: I've had three 10mm's over the years. Two of others are gone. The G20.3 remains. I have had zero problems with the gun. It was sent back for recall by Glock many years ago. I handload so ammo is no problem. Here, 10mm is just another round to reload. I added a Lone Wolf barrel that has worked very well. I enjoy shooting and handloading for a number of handgun rounds.

Recently, the rifle club decided the 10mm was off limits at the handgun range. The fear of tearing up target frames was the motivation. I have an indoor range where the upper limit is 308. Right, paper targets are an instant kill 100% of the time. Merciful kills consistently where it is unnecessary to follow a blood trail. No danger of being harmed by a wounded animal.

When reloading there are a number of powders that work very well with wide use of other calibers. There are plenty of excellent bullets that can be used in 10mm. Brass is from Starline. My two carry guns are 40 S&W and 45 ACP caliber. I miss my G29.3 that was an excellent carry gun. For Grizzly and large Brown Bears my personal choice is a SAKO in 338 Magnum,

·
Registered
170 Posts
I rarely shoot my G20.3 with factory ammo. For reloaders if just another cartridge. I would suggest being skeptical about claims of super velocity.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The best I have done is a touch over 1400fps with 155g XTPs out of my 5.25" barreled Springfield XDm10 4.5 OSP

To me it looks like we're are talking normal reloading for a 10mm. I was using Montana Gold 165gr. bullets with 10grains of Power Pistol and Starline brass. The gun is a stock G20.3 In a string of 10 round groups the average was in the low 1300's. This is a good accurate load. My data was confirmed in several manuals. Meaning, that's where I should have been for that load. Power Pistol is my favorite for several cartridges.

As soon as this madness is over I plan to load another batch of that load. I did run some experiments with Accurate #9 which is OK abut not as fast as the PP, I did prove to myself that you give up a lot going from a G20 to a G29, To me, your figures are good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To me it looks like we're are talking normal reloading for a 10mm. I was using Montana Gold 165gr. bullets with 10grains of Power Pistol and Starline brass. The gun is a stock G20.3 In a string of 10 round groups the average was in the low 1300's. This is a good accurate load. My data was confirmed in several manuals. Meaning, that's where I should have been for that load. Power Pistol is my favorite for several cartridges.

As soon as this madness is over I plan to load another batch of that load. I did run some experiments with Accurate #9 which is OK abut not as fast as the PP, I did prove to myself that you give up a lot going from a G20 to a G29, To me, your figures are good.
I am using Blue Dot and Hornady's load data for the XTPs. I stopped just shy of max because the accuracy started falling off. The load I am shooting prints a ragged hole at 25 yards and about 3 inches at 50 yards.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have to admit I've ignored articles on the 10MM cartridge because I thought "here we go again, a new super round to challenge the .45 and start a cartridge war." I've not fired the round or know anyone that own's a 10MM, but a lot of Glock owners are praising it as the best self-defense cartridge out there. Even going so far as to say it's a Bear stopper. Anyone have one or shot one? I can't see myself adding ANOTHER caliber to my battery, but you never know.
The .40 S&W came from the 10x25mm. It all started with the Miami Dade shootout. Jeff Cooper really had great things to say about it, and they say it is the only semi-auto round that is capable of stopping a bear.

I read that either Iceland's or Greenland's equivalent of the DNR, are now equipped with Glocks in 10mm Auto, just for the reason of bears.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I have to admit I've ignored articles on the 10MM cartridge because I thought "here we go again, a new super round to challenge the .45 and start a cartridge war." I've not fired the round or know anyone that own's a 10MM, but a lot of Glock owners are praising it as the best self-defense cartridge out there. Even going so far as to say it's a Bear stopper. Anyone have one or shot one? I can't see myself adding ANOTHER caliber to my battery, but you never know.
Had a S&W 1006 which was some kind of LE trade in. With hot rounds, the thing was a beast. Key to it was round choice. Some weaker rounds wouldn't cycle well but hot ones..you got something. I traded it and to this day regret it. I don't know about saying "this is my bear defense gun" but a hot, quality round in that sucker will stop a majority of things that you would ever be attacked by.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've owned a succession of 10MM pistols and revolvers since the days of the Bren Ten, and reloaded for it since dies first became available. So I guess I have to admit I am a longtime fan. While it is certainly a capable self defense cartridge, I suspect most owners of 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc. pistols would not see benefit in acquiring a 10mm for self defense. The state of the art self defense loads available for those other cartridges are quite capable for SD too.

For other purposes, where power and penetration are of prime concern, I consider the 10mm and .357 Magnum to be in the same ballistic neighborhood. For instance, Buffalo Bore 180 grain loads for each cartridge are reasonably close. The BB 10mm averages 1380 FPS in a 5" semi-auto, and the BB .357 180 averaged 1436 FPS in a 5" revolver. These are actual chronographed velocities in my guns. I no longer have a 5" 10mm revolver to compare, but it was routine for the 5" 10mm revolvers to produce velocities higher than the 10mm semi-autos with the same ammunition. If I still had a 5" revolver to test the 10mm BB ammo, I suspect velocities of 357 and 10mm would be closer yet.......ymmv

BTW, That old NORMA 200 grain 10mm ammunition actually did produce 1200 FPS, or a bit more, in 5" barrels.
View attachment 16843
Rock185,
I really like that model of S&W 10mm. They are great shooters. Mine is the smaller 1066 and I am amazed that it will gobble up any 10mm I can stuff in it's magazines without a single malfunction. Shoots very accurately as well.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts