Handgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Walsh, Star Tribune
Thu, October 7, 2021, 10:27 AM

Two western Minnesota men have been ordered by a federal judge to pay back more than $1.1 million for damage they inflicted when their gunfire punctured a pipeline and released thousands of gallons of diesel fuel into a creek that feeds a river.
Eric J. Weckworth-Pineda, 25, of Cottonwood, and Tanner J. Sik, 22, of Ivanhoe, were sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis after having pleaded guilty to misdemeanor negligent discharge of a pollutant in connection with the incident on April 24, 2019, near Cottonwood Lake in Lyon County.
Full article here: https://www.yahoo.com/news/target-practice-leaves-2-minnesota-142700594.html

·
Registered
789 Posts
Whoa! Did they have the money on them to pay the fine?

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Whoa! Did they have the money on them to pay the fine?
Both men were each put on a year's probation, along with jointly being on the hook for a restitution amount that U.S. Attorney's Office has acknowledged will not be recouped from the defendants.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Both men were each put on a year's probation, along with jointly being on the hook for a restitution amount that U.S. Attorney's Office has acknowledged will not be recouped from the defendants.
The defense and prosecution have agreed that the men lack "sufficient financial resources" to make anything more than nominal payments toward the large restitution sum, read one court document filed last week. Therefore, the filing continued, the court ordered that each pay $30 a month for the next 20 years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So, because only a small group of people have 500 grand laying around, they went from owing that each to $7200 a piece???….lol. Hell, I’d just pull out a bank loan and pay it all at once rather than writing a thirty dollar check per month for the next 20 years.

But hell, if it was revealed that the two idiots was actually shooting at the pipe, I woulda made them pay a lot more than 30 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
So, because only a small group of people have 500 grand laying around, they went from owing that each to $7200 a piece???….lol. Hell, I’d just pull out a bank loan and pay it all at once rather than writing a thirty dollar check per month for the next 20 years.

But hell, if it was revealed that the two idiots was actually shooting at the pipe, I woulda made them pay a lot more than 30 a month.

It was revealed:
"Sik fired his AR-15 rifle from about 240 yards and hit the pipeline at least three times as Weckwerth-Pineda used "the scope on his own rifle to spot [Sik's] shots" as a way to aid his friend's aim, court records read.

Soon afterward that day, the two men and a third friend who had been with them returned to the area and "could see a sheen ... across the creek and the pipeline was spraying diesel fuel," according to one court filing. The third friend reported the leak to authorities.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency said in a public accounting of the incident, "That section [of pipeline] fell victim to target practice by some joyriders and sprung a leak."
Charges in state court quoted Weckwerth-Pineda as telling a Lyon County sheriff's investigator that they just became bored while shooting at the creek and thought to "try and hit that pipe."

·
Registered
789 Posts
Should have been $300.00 a month. That would hurt and remind them every month that they are idiots.

·
Registered
281 Posts
They should appeal the judges ruling, all the way to the Supreme Court. Who came up with such an idiotic amount? It sounds ridiculous.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They should appeal the judges ruling, all the way to the Supreme Court. Who came up with such an idiotic amount? It sounds ridiculous.
That is a ridiculous amount but how about instead of whining about the fine, avoid a possible fine like that altogether and just don’t be shooting at a damn pipeline….lol.

It’s just like in the trucking industry about ten years ago when the FMCSA initiated a fine of $2,750.00 to the driver and an $11,000.00 fine for the company if you got caught driving without a hands-free device and holding a phone to your head. Yeah, that’s awful steep but buy a damn headset and you’re like, completely immune to that fine but you know, I know of one time where a guy got just that because of all places to be dumb, he actually rolled into a weigh station holding a phone to his head.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is a ridiculous amount but how about instead of whining about the fine, avoid a possible fine like that altogether and just don’t be shooting at a damn pipeline….lol.

It’s just like in the trucking industry about ten years ago when the FMCSA initiated a fine of $2,750.00 to the driver and an $11,000.00 fine for the company if you got caught driving without a hands-free device and holding a phone to your head. Yeah, that’s awful steep but buy a damn headset and you’re like, completely immune to that fine but you know, I know of one time where a guy got just that because of all places to be dumb, he actually rolled into a weigh station holding a phone to his head.

I am seeing less and less wisdom, compassion and common sense being exhibited by American.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts