Handgun Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care for the new style there guys what about giving us a choice of about six to choose from?

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Well, for 1 - there is no way for each user to "pick" what he sees. It's one board - that's all. U can make some minor changes in your settings, but nothing that majorly affects anything.

But, we are looking for a theme. JS probably has to purchase one after he finds one he likes. A few have been looked at, and he is waiting for some questions to be answered about 1 or 2 before we know if it will work. Hopefully, it will be changed in a day or so.

I personally liked the original software better, but it had a lot of security holes - spam bots were registering as users everyday to try and post advertisements, and he was having to watch for them and delete them on a daily basis. To keep the look we prev had but buy the upgraded software was gonna be $180 or so.

This software actually has more features. Give us another day or 2 and things should be back to normal :)

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Yeah, the old software was open source and full of glitches... Mostly security issues with spam. But, I loved the look of the old site. I'm going to really miss that, I worked extremely hard on it. But, no worries... The new site will have the same amount time and dedication on the "new" look. There have been a few glitches with the new, but it runs smoother and I haven't seen not one spam bot register since I installed it. :)

So, bare with me for a couple of days and we'll all be in business. :smt041

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use phpBB and I can offer as many styles or themes for my user as I want and they are free. What are you using here for a forum?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just answered my own question. I don't know why you would pay for this when there is outstanding free forum software outhere. phpbb, smf. All the mods and templates are free and easy to work with. Even my wife figured it out with a little help from me. The thing is that it's all free, all you need is a domain name and host and I had her piggy back off of me. I use go daddy because I get good bandwith rates when the forums I do for people go crazy. This one is doing great just hate to see ya pay for it. They offer a User Style picker. Again hate to see ya pay for styles.

http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the boards I've put togethere for people have been private with invitations only. I have had security issuses with smf, phpbb2, phpnuke but alway find a fix. I found that any templates, hacks or mod I install, I will put through the ringer if they have not been approved. I'm starting to write my own stuff now which should leave gaping holes. It's fun stuff but to much time behind the pc means less time at the range. Keep up the good work, I wasn't trying to put the site down, it's one of my favorite ones, just making a suggestion. Put up a donate paypal link and I'll be glad to donate.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
JS and I spoke about that, and he didn't want to start taking donations yet - As for writing code and such, you'd have to speak to him. I do know that he said the pay version of phpBB was good, but it costs close to $200.

Anyway, he picked a theme - I don't know if it coasts or not. But he said it would be up tonight

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Maser said:
I was having major issues with spam bots. I was having to delete bogus memberships everyday. The more mod scripts that I would install, it seemed like the more spam bots. I was growing extremely tired of modding and deleting... Not really sure why they were targeting me, but I have an idea. Anyway, phpbb is great software...I just had enough of being spammed. vbulletin has been installed for 4 days now... no spam. I'm sure the same bots are showing up, but they're not able to register. In my book... well worth the expense of vbulletin. After I get this site layout done I'll be able to relax and just post on here.......... you know, like everybody else. :supz:

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
js said:
I was having major issues with spam bots. I was having to delete bogus memberships everyday. The more mod scripts that I would install, it seemed like the more spam bots. I was growing extremely tired of modding and deleting... Not really sure why they were targeting me, but I have an idea. Anyway, phpbb is great software...I just had enough of being spammed. vbulletin has been installed for 4 days now... no spam. I'm sure the same bots are showing up, but they're not able to register. In my book... well worth the expense of vbulletin. After I get this site layout done I'll be able to relax and just post on here.......... you know, like everybody else. :supz:

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Well, I am an idiot - Until today, I did not know that U could have more than 1 skin on a particular site - I've never been on a site that has more than 1.

We have 3 now - I like the last one - Hexfluid - the best. JS will be working on graphics for them all soon. Hopefully none of you guys left us during the transition :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.