Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who thought the problems would go away here's an update on a another brand new P365 failing... Again!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quite a few extraction and/or ejection failures were reported with the very early releases of the P365, but many maintained that SIG had corrected this problem with a redesign of the recoil spring assembly. But I have continued to hear of such problems, albeit with less frequency, in pistols produced since the redesign.

In the case of this second SIG P365 in this MAC video, I would be curious to know if the pistol was cleaned at all after shooting those first 400 rounds. If not, and the issue went away after a good cleaning, it would be of much less concern.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pblanc, The fellow doing the review makes it a point to clean every new gun he does a review on I was surprised to see him actually compare the P365 to the Taurus PT 111 G2C and was impressed with the way the Taurus performed. Its totally my opinion but the Taurus has proven to me that people do at times people overpay for guns that under perform, So far this Sig P365 has proven that point.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
:prayer: all hail Taurus.

Anything mechanical can have problems, even a well respected brand. Sig definately has issues with this new model. You got lucky and got a Taurus that seems reliable. Count your blessings. Maybe you need to buy some lottery tickets. Your luck seems to be good.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The SIG forum mentions problems with not returning to battery, slide not locking back, failures to feed, failures to eject, broken striker, broken trigger return spring & barrel peening. Nothing against SIG, I've got 3 but I'll wait until I quit hearing of these problems before I consider carrying one. Until then I'm VERY happy with my discontinued SIG P290RS 9mm. Only holds 6+1 but it's even smaller than the P365. It's DAO so I'm comfortable with appendix carry. Zero failures so far, about 300 rounds.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only one good way to address these issues with the Sig P365 is for Sig to do a voluntary recall and make it right! I can't believe Sig ignoring these issues, issues that make the P365 useless in life & death situations, everyone says Sig is a stand up company. I'm on the outside I don't own a Sig but this doesn't look good. By now there aware of the problem, Sig do the right thing!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
What would Taurus do? Or WWTD?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Maybe they're secretly related.
Wait!!! I just realized Cannon, seems like you gravitate towards threads about guns that don't go bang, and gun manufacturers that don't like to fix them????:buttkick:

Just teasing (kind of), no offense intended.

GW

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gold wing I'm just pointing out price or brand name is no guarantee your going to be well served... And heres the proof!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Taurus Agrees To $39 Million Settlement In Defective Pistol ...
www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/taurus-agrees-to...
Taurus Agrees To $39 Million Settlement In Defective Pistol ... of the Taurus problems has ... the precious Taurus PT111 G2 would last more than 15 ...
"Simply stated, the Class Pistols are defective and inherently dangerous, and Taurus has known about the Defects for years, but has allowed the Class Pistols to remain in the hands of unsuspecting gun owners to the imminent risk of harm to the owners of the Class Pistols and the public," the court documents allege.

The settlement agreement covers nine Taurus models, including the PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640 and PT-24/7, Taurus says.
That's nine to two in Sig's favor. The Sig P320 supposedly had drop fire issues. However the US Army adopted it as their official sidearm. I don't think that they even considered a Taurus?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Desertman Why are talking about the 320 not once was it mentioned? Were talking about the P365 and its problems.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Desertman Why are talking about the 320 not once was it mentioned? Were talking about the P365 and its problems.
Since there were two of Sig's products that I know of that they had issues with, if I had said nine to one in Sig's favor, I would be wrong. It really shouldn't be that difficult for you to figure out?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True but they took care of the 320 so far nothing by silence on the problems with the P365.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
True but they took care of the 320 so far nothing by silence on the problems with the P365.
Well evidently Sig has addressed the issues with that pistol, otherwise they wouldn't have called them back or halted the shipping of them? I don't know, but I think you've got to do a little bit of research before posting?

Based on what I've read about the P365, I certainly wouldn't buy one. Or recommend that anyone else buy one either. When I bought the P320 the drop fire issue wasn't known otherwise I wouldn't have bought a P320 pistol. It's the same reason why I'd never buy a Taurus based on Taurus' overall poor track record, issues with their firearms and reputation for lousy customer service. It's a crap shoot that I'm not willing to take even if the God damn things went for $50 brand new outta' the box.

Indeed Sig did take care of the P320. They had no other choice. If they didn't the Army could have canceled its contract and rightly so. You'd better believe that the P320 was subjected to rigorous testing under all types of conditions before it was chosen. Supposedly the problem was that the inertia from the physical weight of the steel trigger being jolted was enough to fire the gun if the gun was dropped and the back of the slide struck the floor or ground. I've watched the video's of this happening. I tried the same drop test dozens of times on mine and at all different angles but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get mine to go off, therefore I didn't send it back. I even took a deadened primed case, chambered it and then struck the back of the slide as hard as I could against a mousepad on a hardwood floor as if I were hammering nails. I then ejected the case and there wasn't even the slightest mark on the deadened primer.

Readers may remember that the first run of P365s were quickly called back and refined after some user reported issues, which seemed to vanish once the "Gen 2" (as SIG fans have been calling it) P365 hit the market. But lately, there's been social media discussion of SIG P365 "primer drag" (i.e., the face of the firing pin dragging across the primer when the barrel unlocks during the firing sequence) and speculation as to whether or not primer drag has caused or will cause firing pin tips to break. The trouble with internet rumor is it's hard to find out what the issue is, or even if there's an issue at all: Will primer drag cause the P365's MIM firing pin to break? Are P365 pins breaking and, if so, how common is it? Is it relegated to guns that didn't receive the first run fix?--https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/06/06/p365-strikers/
Sig has halted shipping of the P365 while issues are looked ...
www.reddit.com/r/CCW/comments/7xe7v0/sig_has...
Per Phil Strader in the P365 Owners facebook group they (sig) have halted production of the 365 until they can look into reported...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to hear it, if that's the case you wont see videos on You Tube from unhappy owners.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As these guns that have been reworked and are now in use we'll see if in fact the fix has cured the issues the P365 was having. Till then I'll reserve judgement on the Sig P365.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
As these guns that have been reworked and are now in use we'll see if in fact the fix has cured the issues the P365 was having. Till then I'll reserve judgement on the Sig P365.
NO! Please! I don't think I can stand to wait to hear your judgement on the P365.............yeah,,,, I guess I can wait.......and wait...............................................................well, you know.:smt078

GW

·
Banned
215 Posts
I'm interested in whether the double feed issue and not feeding ball ammo issues has been taken care of in the P 320? A video i saw said the only reliable ammo the armys p320 would fire was hollow point ammo. Also my local gun shop says some of the trigger mechanisms have been cracking after the mods are done? I'm a Sig lover guys so don't flame me. I'm also sure Sig didn't plan a launch like these two weapons have had.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm interested in whether the double feed issue and not feeding ball ammo issues has been taken care of in the P 320? A video i saw said the only reliable ammo the armys p320 would fire was hollow point ammo. Also my local gun shop says some of the trigger mechanisms have been cracking after the mods are done? I'm a Sig lover guys so don't flame me. I'm also sure Sig didn't plan a launch like these two weapons have had.
There are thousands of P320 owners who have shot literally millions of rounds of FMJ ammunition through their pistols with no issues whatsoever. The "information" you referred to came from this government report on the early performance of the Army's XM17 and XM18 pistols:

http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2017/pdf/army/2017mhs.pdf

Note that the "X" designation denotes "experimental". If you read the article, you will find that the feeding issues described were with a new and experimental "ball" round, designated XM1152 which has a flat nose on an seemingly truncated conical projectile. This projectile shape is completely unlike the US M882 9mm ball ammunition which has been the NATO standard for many years. I have shot many hundreds of rounds of Winchester NATO 124 grain 9 mm Luger ammunition through my P320 compact and never had a feed issue. I have also never had a feed issue with my ,45 ACP P320. The DOT&E report cited mentioned that two triggers had "splintered" during testing. This was out of around 10,000 pistols and nobody seems to know what "splintered" means because the pistols still apparently functioned. I have not heard of any further issues of mechanical trigger failure with either the M17 or M18, or with the many thousands of P320 pistols that have now been "voluntarily upgraded" with the same trigger that the Army's pistol use.

Here is an analysis of the DOT&E report that may be somewhat more balanced than the half truth gossip that you have garnered through the grapevine:

Modular Handgun System - Things Aren?t As Bad As The DOT&E Report Implies - Soldier Systems Daily

·
Banned
215 Posts
I'll admit I found a pic in my Ruger 22/45 manual that shows the gun in the same angle of drop that the 320 is failing on. It says if you drop it (22/45) it will go bang. You can bet Sigs lawyers are going to use that manual!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts