Handgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .22LR semi auto target style pistol. When I use high velocity ammo, I get a different point of impact (shoots high) at longer ranges than at short ranges. Will using standard velocity ammo help with this? I have had limited opportunities to get to the range lately, so I haven't been able to test this theory.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
any bullet fired from a handgun or rifle is immediately affected by Gravity.
The higher velocity the ammo, the longer it takes for gravity to drag it down. Hi Velocity has more energy directed in a forward motion (towards the target). The further away the target, the more the bullet will drop from a straight line towards the target (gravity pulling it down). As well as the friction from the air friction of passing through the air towards the target.
A "Standard Velocity" ammo is still affected by gravity, air friction and point of aims may still be different between near and far targets.
The path of a bullet towards a target is parabolic (curved). It starts below the line of sight (line from your eye through the weapon's sights, to the target). Curves through and above the line of sight and eventually drops back down.

This article may help: Bullet Ballistics - Shooting Terms You Should Know - Guns and Ammo

·
Registered
195 Posts
When it comes to 22 LR's ...guns and ammo ... some can be extremely picky about which brand and load the function best and shoot best . You might find some ammo that will group 1/2" ...other will group 1" , 1 1/2" , 2" and some will group 4" ... You have to shoot as many different loads as you can and find the top 3 or 4 grouping loads ... then stock up on ammo and hope the next time you need ammo you can get the kind your gun shoots best .
Don't get hung up on just one load ...the shortages we have might cut that load off ... have some other kinds of ammo you can shoot well with .
Sight in your gun whenever you change ammo ...they seldom shoot to the same place ...that's just the way ammo is ... it's all different and you never know what you can find .
Gary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Serious .22 shooters will usually tell you to avoid high velocity and plated bullets. Eley Tenex, Federal Gold Medal Match, CCI Green Tag have long been considered among the most accurate ammo readily available. Accuracy pretty much follows the price ranges. Within the price range you might find that a particular brand or loading within that brand might do better in your gun. All you can do withh .22 is try a bunch of different ammo, and when you find the one your gun likes best, buy all you can.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a .22LR semi auto target style pistol. When I use high velocity ammo, I get a different point of impact (shoots high) at longer ranges than at short ranges. Will using standard velocity ammo help with this? I have had limited opportunities to get to the range lately, so I haven't been able to test this theory.
Yes.
Try it to be sure it does in your firearm.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Serious .22 shooters will usually tell you to avoid high velocity and plated bullets. Eley Tenex, Federal Gold Medal Match, CCI Green Tag have long been considered among the most accurate ammo readily available. Accuracy pretty much follows the price ranges. Within the price range you might find that a particular brand or loading within that brand might do better in your gun. All you can do withh .22 is try a bunch of different ammo, and when you find the one your gun likes best, buy all you can.
I also like the SK brand as well...if I can find it around my area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts