Handgun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago, I saw a Robin in the yard. Yesterday, a half dozen. Today? They are everywhere.
Killdeers joined in today. Those things are a pain. Nest on the ground and refuse to do so near structure, so I have one winged birds running around the yard when early mowing starts trying to lure me away from the nest. If I see them, Ill give a courtesy go around.
It is the middle of winter. I know Robins are early returners, but really? I hope they all brought their little downy feathers with them. It is supposed to get cold the second part of the week and stay that way through the 10 day outlook. I have been waiting for winter, and it is coming for a little while, anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A couple days ago, I saw a Robin in the yard. Yesterday, a half dozen. Today? They are everywhere.
Killdeers joined in today. Those things are a pain. Nest on the ground and refuse to do so near structure, so I have one winged birds running around the yard when early mowing starts trying to lure me away from the nest. If I see them, Ill give a courtesy go around.
It is the middle of winter. I know Robins are early returners, but really? I hope they all brought their little downy feathers with them. It is supposed to get cold the second part of the week and stay that way through the 10 day outlook. I have been waiting for winter, and it is coming for a little while, anyway.
the birds that were here back in the fall, are waiting in the Bahamas to come back, via TWA, or Delta.

i suspect, they ain't in too much of a hurry to get back.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looked out the back window. Probably 70+ Robins in the yard and pasture.
I hope they are fattening up for the weather that is supposed to be on the way for later next week and in to the following.
Freezing temps and precip in the forecast. We don't get a lot of that around here.
Screenshot_2021-02-07 Trinidad, TX 10-Day Weather Forecast Weather Underground.png

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Just looked out the back window. Probably 70+ Robins in the yard and pasture.
I hope they are fattening up for the weather that is supposed to be on the way for later next week and in to the following.
Freezing temps and precip in the forecast. We don't get a lot of that around here. View attachment 19519
It is currently -11F here on the 45th parallel. I wish I had some of your freezing weather.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is currently -11F here on the 45th parallel. I wish I had some of your freezing weather.
LOL, you might not be much of a fan of the high humidity and triple digits we are accustomed to in the summer.
I do wish we could have a month or two of fire ant freezing weather, but it just doesn't happen.
You probably don't have a yard full of robins today, either .:D

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
LOL, you might not be much of a fan of the high humidity and triple digits we are accustomed to in the summer.
I spent the better part of three years in Austin in the eighties, I adjusted to the weather there just fine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spent the better part of three years in Austin in the eighties, I adjusted to the weather there just fine.
But,,,,,,,,,,,were you a fan?
We have friends that live in Cedar Mn, It is about 10 minutes to get to the Wisconsin border from their house. Pretty area in that part of the state. Lots of parks and small towns to browse. SW area in the bend. Are yo anywhere close to that?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am an hour east of the Mississippi close to where the Chippewa and Eau Claire Rivers meet.
You're a little NE of where I was talking about. Lots of hardwood forest and hills. I liked it there.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Spring comes in early this year on the 20th of March. I've also been seeing robins around my yard. Most had their bags packed as they were heading to Florida. Hope they're not yankee birds.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spring comes in early this year on the 20th of March. I've also been seeing robins around my yard. Most had their bags were packed as they were heading to Florida. Hope they're not yankee birds.
The little buggers have had a rough few days here. The little bit of unfrozen water is surrounded constantly. They are bringing some sort of berries with them. We don't have bird seed, and I don't think robins will eat it much anyway. Our neighbors keep feeders out, but I never see robins around them.
Tough to be the early bird this year.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
You're a little NE of where I was talking about. Lots of hardwood forest and hills. I liked it there.
I am actually 60 miles south of Rice Lake Wi, which would put me south-southeast from Cedar Mn by about an hour and a half.
Beautiful up around the St. Croix River!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am actually 60 miles south of Rice Lake Wi, which would put me south-southeast from Cedar Mn by about an hour and a half.
Beautiful up around the St. Croix River!
I guess my Google Fu is weak. 😄
That weather forcast turned out to be W-R-O-N-G. record cold and snowfall. Not what you are used to, but not what we are equipped to handle either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts