Handgun Forum banner

Smith and Wesson model 640

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SSGN_Doc 
#1 ·
Hey guys I wonder if any of you guys know a date when my model 640 serial # CEN5143 was built thanks

#2 ·
The Model 640 is the stainless steel version of the Model 40. The first Model 640 came out in 1990 and was chambered in .38 Special. In 1996 they were chambered for both .38 Special+P/357 Magnum as the Model 640-1. I have one of each model. Mine has a lower serial number than yours and begins with the letters BRP. Yours was made between 1990 and 1996. Sorry I can't help you with an exact date. I looked a long time for my Model 640, I guess because people don't tend to get ride of them?

I also have Models 49, 642 and 442.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Mammal

#5 ·
Might be useful to know about some other markings on it. Some that were made in .38 Special only, marked with “.38 Special” on the barrel and “Tested for +P (or +P+)” inside the frame, and also marked as 640 (with no dash and other numeral like-1,-2, or -3 following the 640), may be part of a limited contract run from 1990. Not a common find. The more original the condition as well as any original paperwork or box can increase the value to S&W collectors. These had a CEN prefix like yours.

#6 ·
I jumped on a used 640-1 Pro Series, in .357 mag when I saw it in a gun shop, used case. Nice little pocket rocket, and quite a handful with full .357 mag loads. The all steel construction can make it “less handy” for carry than the Airweights of similar size, but that weight also makes them quite pleasant to shoot with regard to felt recoil when using .38 +P loads.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.