Handgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I have become interested in Sig pistols since being introduced to them by my brother. Prior to that I just owned a nice 1911, which I still like to shoot.

Recently we have been toying around with different guide rods on the 229, using a stainless steel guide rod as opposed to the factory plastic part. I am no handgun expert, but I like the idea of a steel piece as opposed to plastic in my gun and I like the bit of added weight and dampening it provides during shooting.

Is it common for Sig owners to use aftermarket guide rods? What do you guys prefer? Factory or other? Any problems with non-factory guide rods?

·
Administrator
4,194 Posts
There is almost 0 benefit from what little weight a steel guide rod provides. Would I prefer a steel rod over plastic, sure simply because it's going to be more durable without adding any significant weight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is almost 0 benefit from what little weight a steel guide rod provides. Would I prefer a steel rod over plastic, sure simply because it's going to be more durable without adding any significant weight.
Agree 100%
I have S/S rods in all of mine for the above and for LOOKS....

Lateck,

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Agree 100%
I have S/S rods in all of mine for the above and for LOOKS....

Lateck,
my p6 came with a stainless steel guide rod.... not sure how it effects the looks tho, never watched it while i shoot, my eyes were on the target. when i am not shooting it, the guide rod is hidden.... still no clue how it looks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thank you. I guess I simply prefer them for the fact they are steel as opposed to plastic too. Is there a preferred aftermarket manufacturer for guide rods or since they are relatively simple does it even matter?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lots of guys on Sig Forum use them but, I never have bought one I just don't think there would be a lot of extra added benefit to one but, if you do I have heard a lot of good talk about the Bedair rods.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
To myself it seems more a matter of preference than necessity...some of my Sigs were shipped with metal guide rods and some have plastic, I doubt if as some speculate it is causing problems, if it were Sig would be forced to discontinue them as shipping and repair costs would negate and parts savings but as with many good things about this country you have choices.........JJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think any plastic guide rod would fail or be a problem., to many companies use them. Like it states just a guide for the spring. That being said first thing I bought for my P290 was a SS guide rod, just like them better. Still shoot the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts