Handgun Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
BTW, it takes about a minute to install my 28" modified choke barrel and head to the trap range. After four 25 shot rounds my average is right at 80%.

GW

Reactions: pic

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
Wilson Combat provided a longer spring with their very nice mag extension. I recommend it highly.

GW
Nice, it was a good maintenance move along with a greater tubular mag capacity.
Spring change out with added capacity, a two fir one

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
BTW, it takes about a minute to install my 28" modified choke barrel and head to the trap range. After four 25 shot rounds my average is right at 80%.

GW
Shooting from five stations, five rounds each.
80 % is very good. Your buddies are probably NOT gonna give you any advice, if you're out shooting them ( kidding )

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 series shotguns are probably two of the more common shotguns used in the "defensive" role.

The 870 has the slide release forward of the trigger guard, and a cross bolt safety that is at the rear of the trigger guard. This means one with smaller hands usually has to move their strong hand forward to release the slide and depending on dominant hand side, may be required to push the safety to the fire position with a different finger than the index finger.

The Mossberg 500/590 shotguns have the slide/bolt release behind the trigger guard where it can be depressed by the middle finger being lifted up, and the safety is at the tang of the receiver, on top, where right or left handed shooters would operate it the same direction. (Forward to fire)

Both shotguns have good reputations for being durable, and reliable. Navy/Marine Corps had been running the 500/590 most of my career, so I feel comfortable running it, though I've trained on the 870 as well.
My buddies as a kid turned their noses up at Mossberg shotguns. Back then most 870s were "Wingmasters" with beautiful bluing and woodwork. Mossbergs not so much.
I'm sure that the Mossbergs are fine guns, I've just got a thing for 870s.;)

GW

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

·
Registered
369 Posts
My buddies as a kid turned their noses up at Mossberg shotguns. Back then most 870s were "Wingmasters" with beautiful bluing and woodwork. Mossbergs not so much.
I'm sure that the Mossbergs are fine guns, I've just got a thing for 870s.;)

GW
A Wingmaster is a beautiful thing. One of my friends had one, growing up. I was pretty jealous of it. My Express is still built solid, but not as smooth as that Wingmaster.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Action closed, keeps debris out of the action, but also allows the hammer to be dropped on an empty chamber, which keeps you from having to depress a slide release In order to cycle the action.
I gave this some pondering, if you drop the hammer on an empty chamber on an 870, the slide mechanism is free to be moved on purpose, or unintentionally.
On the other hand, with the hammer back on an empty chamber, the slide is locked in position until the trigger is pulled or the slide release is pressed. Unless I am at the trap range, my action is closed. I prefer to park mine in this condition.

GW

Reactions: pic

·
Registered
845 Posts
With a pump style feeding system. Only the pump action.

I think. Lol . Is that right DENNER??o_O
On a modern shotgun, technically there is no slide per se, but indeed there is a bolt. As such, the proper term is a bolt release. Same with an AR-15 or any semiauto rifle, there is a bolt release but no slide release as you would find on a semi-auto pistol. Hell, I could be wrong but I dont think so.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Another Wikipedia BS App?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I keep my two shotguns empty, but with the butt cuff ready with six rounds of #2 buck. Granted, I don't use them as a primary home defense gun.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
I have changed my 12 gauge game up a bit. The 870 is still a great gun and I would recommend them highly.
I have however purchased a gen one Benelli SBE (Super Black Eagle) for a fraction of its' value.
For those who are unfamiliar, the SBE is a semi-auto inertia driven system rather than a gas operated system.
The inertia system is very reliable in comparison with the gas system and is much lower in maintenance since it is much cleaner.
This example of a SBE has a 28" barrel with a Nordic +7 mag extension, which can hold up to 12 rounds of 2 3/4" ammo.
I installed a Super Sling and a bit of picatinny to hang a work light on for late night skunk patrol.
It stays in a ready condition, but is much different from the 870 concerning bringing rounds into battery. I will just say that those who are unfamiliar might think the gun is broken.

With 28" of barrel this is not too handy for tight quarters, and at 10.2pounds with ten rounds in the mag and five more on the stock this thing is a beast that can send over half a pound of lead downrange in a couple of seconds.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts