Handgun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anyone know of a good gunsmith that will work on a K12? I am looking for a good gunsmith to install a front barrel bushing on my SAR K12. I have contacted Cajun gun works and they said that they are not interested SO here I am.
I am one of those people that feel something can be better, more accurate etc. and many of my guns reflect that. I love the SAR K12, it is very close to my SAO CZ Shadow 2 in shooting and accuracy. I have LOC grips on both, Spring kits in both, I have installed a tighter barrel bushing in the CZ, both have polished triggers set at 2 1/4# let off. I still want to install a tight barrel bushing and a fiber optic front sight on the SAR K12.
I would like to see just how close they would shoot in comparison to one another? Any help would be appreciated .

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Dose anyone know of a good gunsmith that will work on a K12? I am looking for a good gunsmith to install a front barrel bushing on my SAR K12. I have contacted Cajun gun works and they said that they are not interested SO here I am.
I am one of those people that feel something can be better, more accurate etc. and many of my guns reflect that. I love the SAR K12, it is very close to my SAO CZ Shadow 2 in shooting and accuracy. I have LOC grips on both, Spring kits in both, I have installed a tighter barrel bushing in the CZ, both have polished triggers set at 2 1/4# let off. I still want to install a tight barrel bushing and a fiber optic front sight on the SAR K12.
I would like to see just how close they would shoot in comparison to one another? Any help would be appreciated .
I guess you could try CZ Custom? I don't believe that the SAR K12 has a removable barrel bushing? Or that there are any aftermarket bushings available for that gun? That being the case you'd have to have one made or see if a CZ bushing would work. At any rate the work involved may cost more than the gun itself. That may be the reason why Cajun Gun Works is not interested in performing the work. You should probably use a Ransom Rest to find the difference in accuracy between the SAO CZ Shadow 2 and the SAR K12 as is before spending the money it will take to alter the SAR K12. That is if you can find someone to do the work. In all of the years I've owned CZ's I've never had the chance to even handle or buy a SAR K12. I've only seen pictures, they look like pretty nice guns that are well worth the money.

I'm a big fan of CZ's, did a bunch of work on them myself and bought parts from both CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works. I've taken them all completely apart and polished out all of the necessary bearing surfaces inside and out. Not that they needed it, but CZ's are kinda' rough from the factory when it comes to machining and tool marks. However it does not affect their reliability as they work straight outta' the box. Except for my Shadow 2 DA/SA and Omega they all felt a little gritty. I also have an EAA Witness .45 at around $500 it is probably the best deal for a .45 DA/SA semi auto. Earlier models had problems with the slides cracking. EAA ended up changing the slide design for a beefed up one such as the one I have.

The DA/SA de-cocker models are the hardest of the CZ's to work on. Specifically getting the sear cage assembly back together. Nearly impossible unless you have a set of slave pins. I made my own by cutting down old drill bits to the proper size. Even then it was somewhat time consuming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you could try CZ Custom? I don't believe that the SAR K12 has a removable barrel bushing? Or that there are any aftermarket bushings available for that gun? That being the case you'd have to have one made or see if a CZ bushing would work. At any rate the work involved may cost more than the gun itself. That may be the reason why Cajun Gun Works is not interested in performing the work. You should probably use a Ransom Rest to find the difference in accuracy between the SAO CZ Shadow 2 and the SAR K12 as is before spending the money it will take to alter the SAR K12. That is if you can find someone to do the work. In all of the years I've owned CZ's I've never had the chance to even handle or buy a SAR K12. I've only seen pictures, they look like pretty nice guns that are well worth the money.

I'm a big fan of CZ's, did a bunch of work on them myself and bought parts from both CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works. I've taken them all completely apart and polished out all of the necessary bearing surfaces inside and out. Not that they needed it, but CZ's are kinda' rough from the factory when it comes to machining and tool marks. However it does not affect their reliability as they work straight outta' the box. Except for my Shadow 2 DA/SA and Omega they all felt a little gritty. I also have an EAA Witness .45 at around $500 it is probably the best deal for a .45 DA/SA semi auto. Earlier models had problems with the slides cracking. EAA ended up changing the slide design for a beefed up one such as the one I have.

The DA/SA de-cocker models are the hardest of the CZ's to work on. Specifically getting the sear cage assembly back together. Nearly impossible unless you have a set of slave pins. I made my own by cutting down old drill bits to the proper size. Even then it was somewhat time consuming.

View attachment 19803

View attachment 19804
The SAR K12 dose not have a Barrel bushing, as such there is some movement of the barrel upon firing (not much, but some. Both the CZ Shadow 2 and the K12 shoot very well with the CZ being a little more accurate (using a bench rest, 124 grain target ammo, and a much better shooter than me at 20 yards) shooting a 5 shot group the CZ will shoot a 1/2 in tighter group (1 1/2 in group).That means the ASR K12 shoots a 2in group at 20 yards. I would like to bring that down to 1 1/2 in if I can.
PS very nice looking guns, congrats!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The SAR K12 dose not have a Barrel bushing, as such there is some movement of the barrel upon firing (not much, but some. Both the CZ Shadow 2 and the K12 shoot very well with the CZ being a little more accurate (using a bench rest, 124 grain target ammo, and a much better shooter than me at 20 yards) shooting a 5 shot group the CZ will shoot a 1/2 in tighter group (1 1/2 in group).That means the ASR K12 shoots a 2in group at 20 yards. I would like to bring that down to 1 1/2 in if I can.
PS very nice looking guns, congrats!
Thank you!!

I also have an HK VP9 L at the end of the barrel there's milled groove that accepts an "O" ring. The purpose of the ring is to take up that small amount of play for a tighter lockup. You may want to consider having a similar sized groove milled into the barrel of your SAR K12 and use the "O" rings from HK? The groove is not very deep and I doubt that it would compromise the integrity of your barrel. If it gives you any issues you can always remove the "O" ring. If you do go that route I'd suggest ordering the "O" rings first. This way you can get an idea if they are the right circumference or not. Those "O" rings are pretty cheap. HK 9mm Barrel O-Ring For Thread Protector - Black - HKParts If so you could have your barrel machined to accept them. Or just see if you can buy another barrel and have that one altered while leaving your original intact.

Anyway it's just an idea and would be a lot cheaper than having your slide machined to fit an existing bushing if you can find one that would work. Not too mention having a bushing made from scratch to fit your slide and barrel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very interesting idea. I am going to look into that some more both from the barrel and may bee a metal ring inside the slide, THANK YOU.. I am one of those people that want a gun to be all it can be, as far as accuracy and reliability goes. Many people would be happy with the 2 in accuracy, I know K12 can do better. The real problem is there is very little aftermarket parts for the K12. Which is a shame, it is a very good gun with a lot of promise. I am trying to make it the equal of the CZ Shadow 2. I love my CZ rifles and pistols, their SAR counterparts, EAA comp pistols, Sig P210 and the S&W 5906 comp pistols I shoot. I really value firearms that hit what you aim at.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
That is a very interesting idea. I am going to look into that some more both from the barrel and may bee a metal ring inside the slide, THANK YOU.. I am one of those people that want a gun to be all it can be, as far as accuracy and reliability goes. Many people would be happy with the 2 in accuracy, I know K12 can do better. The real problem is there is very little aftermarket parts for the K12. Which is a shame, it is a very good gun with a lot of promise. I am trying to make it the equal of the CZ Shadow 2. I love my CZ rifles and pistols, their SAR counterparts, EAA comp pistols, Sig P210 and the S&W 5906 comp pistols I shoot. I really value firearms that hit what you aim at.
I hear you, and that is indeed a real problem. I do a lot of work on my own guns and there's always times when I think: "I wish they made this or that for any particular gun". Especially guns that are extremely popular. Sarsilmaz has been making firearms since the mid 1800's. They also supply the Turkish military. Why they haven't caught on in the US market is beyond me? But that may be changing as their market opens up. Canik another Turkish manufacturer has only been on the US market for about 10 years now and have become very popular. You can now get parts and accessories for them. From what I understand is that Canik supplies Turkish law enforcement agencies.

The K12 certainly is a nice looking gun that's for sure as is their entire line of pistols. Especially at the price that they're selling for. At least in my area of Arizona, I've only seen one Sarsilmaz on dealer's shelves, a polymer framed SAR9 and that was only recently. It looks like their version of HK's VP 9 at a lower price.

CZ's have been pretty popular on the US market for quite some time and there are more of them out there. EAA's Tanfoglio Witness series have been used by competitive shooters for quite some time too. Therefore it's profitable for company's to make aftermarket parts for them.

Because of the lack of parts availability I would be hesitant to do any major alterations to that pistol, especially the slide. As you may not be able to get another one other than buying an entire gun. Machining a shallow groove in the barrel to accommodate an "O" ring would be a relatively minor alteration and would not affect the integrity of the barrel or slide. Any gunsmith with a lathe or a machine shop would probably be able to do that at very little cost. If it works for HK I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for your K12 as well. But like I said earlier first get the "O" ring before having any work done to the barrel. This way you'll know if it's the proper size and the machinist or gunsmith will be able to machine a groove to accommodate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts