Handgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotta' be out of my freakin' mind? I picked this one up today 10/6/21. It's light as a feather and it's a .44 Magnum. Just for the hell of it I'll probably run a cylinder full of 240 grain Hornady XTP's out of it. But carry it with 200 grain Gold Dot .44 Specials. I dry fired it and it's got a real nice trigger in both double and single action. I've been carrying it around since I bought it. It's so freakin' light that I hardly even know that it's there.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice find. My memories of shooting +P ammo out of a .38 Airweight were that it was not FUN to shoot a lot for practice. Having recently squires an all steel .38 snubby, one of the pleasant surprises was how much I enjoyed shooting it.

I did have a Model 29 which was a big baby with .44 Specials and standard magnum rounds.

The grip you have on the 329 may help a bit.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find. My memories of shooting +P ammo out of a .38 Airweight were that it was not FUN to shoot a lot for practice. Having recently squires an all steel .38 snubby, one of the pleasant surprises was how much I enjoyed shooting it.

I did have a Model 29 which was a big baby with .44 Specials and standard magnum rounds.

The grip you have on the 329 may help a bit.
Thank You!

I saw it about 3 weeks ago, I didn't know whether to get it at first? I already have 3 other "N" frame .44 Magnums. Why the hell would I want another one especially one that feels like it could float on water? But I just kept thinking about it wondering if it had been sold yet? I then started kicking myself in the ass for not buying it when I first saw it. But to my pleasant surprise it was still there and I didn't hesitate this time around. It came with a rubber set of grips along with a set of wooden square butt conversion grips. I swapped them out for a much nicer pair that I bought some time ago. I plan on changing the front sight for a sloped night sight.

My first Model 29 is on the far left. It originally came with an 8 3/8ths barrel. I put so many full power rounds out of that thing that I wore out the forcing cone. I swapped the barrel out for a 4 inch, bobbed the hammer, rebuilt and did an action job. Barrel length on these beasts indeed make a difference in recoil and controllability. The 2 1/2 and 3 inch barrels are anything but fun to shoot. But with 44 Specials you're not putting too much wear and tear on these guns. Besides they're almost like shooting a 22.

I've got J-Frames in steel, stainless steel and Airweight's. The Airweight's have stainless steel cylinders and aluminum alloy frames. The also come with titanium cylinders including a .357 version that are even lighter. That to me is really insane. I've fired .357's out of my all stainless steel Model 640 and it was anything but fun. I recently picked one up in .38 Special that I've wanted for a long time but rarely if ever see them come up for sale. I believe that they stopped making them in the mid 90's? At around that time I bought my all steel nickel plated Model 49 Bodyguard. It has a shrouded hammer but I really wanted that Model 640 all stainless with a fully enclosed hammer. I don't like buying guns on line, I want to see and handle them first. You can only do that at a gun store, show or face to face private sale.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
378 Posts
Funny, my Model 29 also had the 8 and 3/8 barrel. It was really the reason I sold it. It was just too big to be practical. A 4” would have been perfect. I bought it on impulse, because I had walked into a shop that I frequented and saw it, asked to take a look at it and thrived the trigger, (with the shop owners permission and a snap cap). Absolutely the smoothest revolver I have felt in over 30 years of shooting handguns.
The shop owner, I think was partly kidding, but he said “It’s been a slow week, if you got $350 cash, I’ll sell it today only for that price.” I had $450, because I had a different gun in mind, but when he said that I whipped out my wallet, and I could see the mix of emotions on his face that told me he regretted putting that bluff out there and getting called on it. But he did want to make a sale and honored the price.

I like the IDEA of Scandium and Titanium frames, but could never get myself to take the plunge and buy one, figuring I would just not enjoy the shooting experience. I do have to admit one of those in .22 LR and with a 3” barrel would make an awesome hiking/pack sidearm.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny, my Model 29 also had the 8 and 3/8 barrel. It was really the reason I sold it. It was just too big to be practical. A 4” would have been perfect. I bought it on impulse, because I had walked into a shop that I frequented and saw it, asked to take a look at it and thrived the trigger, (with the shop owners permission and a snap cap). Absolutely the smoothest revolver I have felt in over 30 years of shooting handguns.
The shop owner, I think was partly kidding, but he said “It’s been a slow week, if you got $350 cash, I’ll sell it today only for that price.” I had $450, because I had a different gun in mind, but when he said that I whipped out my wallet, and I could see the mix of emotions on his face that told me he regretted putting that bluff out there and getting called on it. But he did want to make a sale and honored the price.

I like the IDEA of Scandium and Titanium frames, but could never get myself to take the plunge and buy one, figuring I would just not enjoy the shooting experience. I do have to admit one of those in .22 LR and with a 3” barrel would make an awesome hiking/pack sidearm.
Those Dirty Harry movies are what got me started on .44 Magnums. I just had to have thee most powerful handgun in the world at the time at least according to Clint Eastwood. I ordered mine with the 8 3/8ths inch barrel. It was my second handgun. I carried it in a vertical shoulder holster. Soon after I bought a Ruger Redhawk when they first hit the market. I still have those guns. I used to shoot them a lot and I mean a lot. Enough to wear out the forcing cone on the S&W. I think that I paid around $400 for those guns when they were new that was back in 1980.

I have two J-Frames a 351C in 22 WMR and a 43C in 22LR. Both have aluminum alloy frames and cylinders with stainless steel barrels. Talk about light, these things feel like they could float in mid air. I didn't really need another .44 Magnum that's for sure but there was just something about a scandium framed gun with a titanium cylinder that fascinated me. Especially one in .44 Magnum. Mine was a trade in and had never been fired. I got it for $879. The only thing I did was change the grips ordered a set of night sights, swapped the trigger for a stainless steel one that I had from my parts bin and polished the ejector rod. I had already polished out the bearing surfaces of that trigger which made the trigger even smoother than the original.

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Wood

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 5 of 5 Posts