Handgun Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Glad to hear yours is coming home. Enjoy it.
My Ruger PCC9 turned out to be very dependable and a fun carbine to train with. Never put a optic on it yet but did put a fiber optic front site. Worked on my site picture with glasses and training. This carbine everyone should try for it meets many needs and is just FUN to train with.
*I love having this carbine for a option in home defense and property defense.
*Runs same mags as our Ruger 9E, SR9 and SR9c. (works good for bugout bag if SHTF)
*I just put a vertical front end grip on mine and spent some time adjusting for accuracy.(shot high) Had a blast with it at the range and started to get much better groups at 75yards with some range time.(will get pics later)
Mine will be fed via many Glock magazines so the Ruger mag won't be needed. If you could use it just PM me your info and i will send it out gratis.
Since it is gun deer hunting season for another week my range will be busy with people who are wondering why they missed with a gun they haven't touched for a year, so I will wait it out and go when I can have the place to myself. I will need a bit of time for mounting optics and dry fire practice with my Laserlyte 9mm training cartridge before I go to the range anyway. Might look for some sort of case too.
My patience is not my strong suit, but one more day to get it won't kill me, I guess...... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I have a couple of higher end backpacks that may fill the bill. The take down is stupid simple and quick on these Ruger PCs so I am going to try to take advantage of that element of disguise.
I do own a violin case but that might be a bit of a cliche.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,547 Posts
I have a couple of higher end backpacks that may fill the bill. The take down is stupid simple and quick on these Ruger PCs so I am going to try to take advantage of that element of disguise.
I do own a violin case but that might be a bit of a cliche.:cool:
Well, I like to be able to carry it and have it not be obvious it is a rifle.

I also actually have a rifle case made like a guitar case. For a short period of time, Academy was selling them. They have long since been discontinued, and I had someone offer me $100 for it on another forum once. I like it, and am not getting rid of it.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I got a call from my LGS at 9:30 A.M. saying that my P.C. 9 has arrived from Buds' Guns.

I am in the process of hanging sights and lights and stuff on it. I might take a scouting trip to the range to see if there is room for a quick sight in.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Last night I played with my new PC carbine a bit out in the shop. Turns out that the Laserlyte 9mm training cartridge co-witnesses precisely with my iron sights. A good thing indeed! So building off of that success, I mounted my cheap but trusty Truglo dot sight on it and adjusted it to co-witness with the Laserlyte also, simple as Pi using the neighbors' shed 70 yards out as a backdrop/target. Then to push my luck a bit I did the same thing with my Olight Baldr green laser/600 lumen light combo. I know that it sounds like a house of cards, but the Laserlyte theoretically should shine straight down the barrel at the impact point of the projectile.
Sighting the dot sight and Olight laser at the same point (from the Laserlyte) should have everything synced up so sighting in at the range should be quick, with few rounds fired.

These were the first eight or ten shots with the gun at about fifteen yards offhand. My mad scientist methods worked pretty good.

This is pretty much a mag dump with a Glock 33 round mag with both eyes open watching the dot and laser with my right eye, and the laser alone with my left. The gun is a lot of fun to shoot!

There were no malfunctions or issues with the gun. My impression is that it is very accurate and deserves a better quality optic than the Truglo. Once gun deer season is over and I can be a range hog, I will post bench rest targets at a more realistic range.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Glad to hear it worked 100%!!!
Thanks,
It feels like a 10/22 that grew up a bit.
I used aftermarket mags, (Magpul) for the first 42 rounds and G17 mags after. No difference at all.
I will admit that when I initially cleaned and lubricated the weapon I cycled the action hundreds of times to smooth things out. It helped.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
My trusty old Tro-glo dot sight has a centerline +- 2 3/8" above the bore axis of the PC9 and since this little carbine is most useful at 100 yards or less, that is a problem for me.
Depending on what yardage I zero at there will be an intersection of the sight plane and the bullet trajectory that cross at the zero yardage and will be 2 3/8" low at the muzzle, 0" at the zero yardage and the trajectory will rise above the zero beyond that.
My simple solution is to just put on a reflex sight with a sighting plane just over an inch above the bore. That is very close to the height of the OEM ghost ring and front post. I think with a 50 yard zero I should be able to hit my targets without guessing so much on the elevation. Anyway, FEDEX will drop off my new reflex sight on Monday and I will find out.;)
From what I could find on the web, I should be able to use the iron sights looking through the reflex sight but co-witness won't be an option.

·
Super Moderator
12,547 Posts
I used to do 50 yard zeros on all my rifles. But at 100 yards, you are much lower than with a 15 yard zero.

I posted the ballistics of a 15 yard zero with 9mm on my CX4 thread. That is what I ended up going with.

But until this gun, I did a 50 yard zero for years too.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts

I swapped out my Tru-glo red dot for a Bushnell Advance reflex sight. added a sling lug for my Harris bipod, added a Super sling, and mounted an Olight Baldr green laser/600 lumen light combo just for fun.
I am going to the range tomorrow and see how all these parts play together.
The Bushnell rides low enough to use the iron sights but not by much, co-witness won't be possible. Anyway the new sight allows me to use a proper cheek weld rather than riding the stock with my jaw bone. I will post a range report (using real targets) tomorrow or Friday.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts