Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - Real life scenerio

We have had several armed robberies within 20 min fo us. Areas that my wife and I frequent. These are semi-rural well to do area. Not your typical inner-city 'hood' type places. Starbucks coffee shops, and banks are being hit. Yesterday the BG got away with $250,000+ The servailance (sp) camera showed the BG holding a bank patron at gunpoint while the tellers collected money.

My question to you: You're in your local bank, like you are every week going about your business. You are, of course, armed. A BG strolls in, produces a glock demands everyone on the floor..............what do you do??

I know what I'd do, lets hear your solution.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
jwkimber45 said:
Ok - Real life scenerio

We have had several armed robberies within 20 min fo us. Areas that my wife and I frequent. These are semi-rural well to do area. Not your typical inner-city 'hood' type places. Starbucks coffee shops, and banks are being hit. Yesterday the BG got away with $250,000+ The servailance (sp) camera showed the BG holding a bank patron at gunpoint while the tellers collected money.

My question to you: You're in your local bank, like you are every week going about your business. You are, of course, armed. A BG strolls in, produces a glock demands everyone on the floor..............what do you do??

Get on the floor. Spend a lot of time remembering everything about him/them I can so I can pass it along.
If he/they are at the point of shooting people then I'll shoot to stop the threat.

·
Super Moderator
12,402 Posts
Yes, many things to consider. Guy may not be working alone - Could have someone as a lookout who is a "customer." I don't think I would shoot him unless I felt like I had to. Not my money. And, too many variables. All those civilians in the area can get hit too. Also, if you shoot, what's on the otherside of the robber? The teller? Other customers?

I'd probably follow along and try to keep my hand on my gun or put it in my pocket with my hand on it, or lay on it. Then, I'd watch him very closely.

Now, if he had my wife as the customer with the gun to her head, that would be a different story....

G

·
I may sound like a wuss here, but not defending the BG at all, but he or she just wants the money and doesn't want to hurt anyone. I would get on the ground and cooperate with the robbers and try get descriptions of their faces or voices. If it was a thing where they were clearly unarmed then I wouldn't hesitait to draw my gun and order them to the floor until the cops were called.

There's way too many risks involved in these types of scenerios. If the robber has a person at gunpoint and I draw my weapon it might scare the robber and he might accidently pull the trigger and kill the victim.

·
Super Moderator
12,402 Posts
Maser said:
If it was a thing where they were clearly unarmed then I wouldn't hesitate to draw my gun and order them to the floor until the cops were called.
See, then U just got yourself arrested too. When you get a CCW permit, you learn that you can only use it if you or someone else is in serious bodily harm. Now, in Texas, you can shoot someone to get your property back, but that doesn't apply to CCW permits - only if you are on your own property.

In the bank, you cannot use your CCW permit like that. While the bank might congratulate you, you would probably face charges too.

·
Super Moderator
12,402 Posts
Maser said:
I didn't say anything about shooting them.
Doesn't matter. U can't draw the gun unless you are doing so in a situation where you WOULD have to shoot them. That's the downside of the CCW. Now, if you held a guy at gunpoint who had a weapon, even a knife - that could be justified and you'd be okay.

But, if they were unarmed and robbing the bank w/ just a note (you are making a huge assumption that there isn't a concealed weapon or another guy w/ them you don't know about - but that's not what we are talking about right now), you cannot pull your weapon. Not unless you are a cop.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'd be a good witness unless he went active shooter or started collecting personal wallets, which in my case would get me killed, and I ain't striking out with the bat on my shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
12,402 Posts
Vom Kriege said:
I'd be a good witness unless he went active shooter or started collecting personal wallets, which in my case would get me killed, and I ain't striking out with the bat on my shoulder.
Yes, I have thought of a similiar scenario before - And, in my case too (like yourself), with my probation badge, I would probably have a problem if my wallet is taken in any robbery. As soon as they see a badge I think the avg robber would panic and I'd have a serious problem.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am posting without reading other people's posts.

If it were me and I was off work and cashing my pay check or something and some thugs came in I will not do anything. A bank full of people is not the best place for a firefight. If they began shooting that would be a different story.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, considering I live in NC and it's illegal to conceal carry in a bank, I would be unarmed in this situation. However, I would have an empty holster and mag carrier on my person. This would not be good in the event the bg demanded each persons wallet and/or belongings. My main priority would be to focus and obey the bg's commands, while getting a good description. I would try to position myself as close as possible to the door incase all hell breaks loose and a shoot out occurs. If that was the case, I would run like hell to my vehicle where I would have cover and my .45 ACP. Now, we all know it would never go as planned.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's my thinking - More than likely BG is going to be standing by himself. In other words, all the people in the bank are going to be in one area where BG can 'keep an eye on 'em" I'll comply, until the others are in the clear, wait until BG's attention is directed somewhere other than ME. Then he's going down.

Points to consider:

#1 - BG has a deadly weapon = my life is in danger as well as all the folks in the bank
#2 - Things never happen the way we plan them, adjust accordingly, even if that means being a 'good witness' and not engaging

·
Super Moderator
12,402 Posts
Be aware of a possible 2nd baddie posing as a victim. I even saw that on a tv show last week - Some cop show on court tv - they showed surveillence camera footage from the store - robber comes in w/o a weapon - customers actually attack the robber - 1 "customer" jumped up and helped the robber get away. It was his brother...

Just something to think about....

G

·
jwkimber45 said:
Ok - Real life scenerio

To find Justice,
Call on.....Sheriff Buford T. Justice.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd do just like Jack Bauer did in one of last season's episodes. He was at the airport, he just got down with the civilians and took notes until he was discovered. (At least that's how I 'members it)

·
Super Moderator
12,402 Posts
Thor said:
I'd do just like Jack Bauer did in one of last season's episodes. He was at the airport, he just got down with the civilians and took notes until he was discovered. (At least that's how I 'members it)
Would ya have 1 of those phones he has that works everywhere too? :p

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Breaking law down here to carry in the bank if posted. My bank has been robbed so many times and yes it's posted no guns. Tells BG come on down and help yourself.

·
Supporting Member
891 Posts
Baldy said:
Breaking law down here to carry in the bank if posted. My bank has been robbed so many times and yes it's posted no guns. Tells BG come on down and help yourself.
We can carry in banks in Texas. Our state is not very restrictive, mostly bars and federal buildings or other county or municipal courthouses, and the 51% alcohol thing which drives me nuts. I see very few businesses, which have the LEGALLY posted no carry sign. The ones that post any kind of no guns sign you have to wonder what they are thinking. You might as well post a sign that says come rob or kill my patrons and me, no one here will stop you. :roll:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Maximo said:
We can carry in banks in Texas. Our state is not very restrictive, mostly bars and federal buildings or other county or municipal courthouses, and the 51% alcohol thing which drives me nuts. I see very few businesses, which have the LEGALLY posted no carry sign. The ones that post any kind of no guns sign you have to wonder what they are thinking. You might as well post a sign that says come rob or kill my patrons and me, no one here will stop you. :roll:
Legally, I think, in Texas you could carry a rifle on your sholder into a bank to do business. Now, that doesn't mean you won't have to answer a lot of questions or pick yourself up off the floor.:smt082 :smt082

1 - 20 of 29 Posts