Handgun Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
The first time that I shot a Glock was last summer, and it was a .40 cal., and I did fine with it. And then I fired a mini Glock 43 9mm, and I did fine with it.

And somewhere in that shooting session, I fired my S&W M4046, and with the same result, I did fine with it. Before the summer had started, I had never fired any of those guns. I had never so much as fired a .40 caliber pistol.

So, give yourself some slack and don’t over think things. Do you have your mind set on a Glock 17? Their mid sized .40 cal. has a lot going for it too.

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
I have come so close to buying some of the S&W 1911s - back when they very first started making them.

I like S&W products - but they use some strange sights on some of their 1911s. The "dots" they use on the sights look rather strange. Can't explain it - other than ya just need to see them. They just look "different" than every other sights I have ever seen on a 1911 (with dots)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have the S&W PC model, great gun, love it. Your kinda at two different ends of the spectrum between G17 9mm and a .45 ACP 1911. You may want to think about what your intended purpose for the gun is. carry piece, home defense , range gun. but don't worry if you get it wrong you just keep buying them until... well IDK when. I started with a G17. Now I have 7 or 8 different Glocks, couple 1911"s, got on a bit of a revolver kick too. Buy quality and have fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I hear you thanks. Most of them time it will be safe inside my home and at the range. That’s it. Since I’m a beginner and novice to guns I just like the look of that 1911. Just like looking at different cars. Your right though why not a Glock and a 1911. I was reading about the 1911 recoil. Much more of a punch than the G17.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think you cannot go wrong with a Glock 17 or a 1911 or both (Eventually). The 1911 in .45ACP really is not a punishing platform to shoot. 9mm and .45 use about the same powder charge which means overall energy is about the same.

When it comes to Glock I prefer the 19 over the 17, just based on “Goldilocks” factor. It isn’t tooo big. It isn’t tooo small. It isn’t tooo light, or tooo heavy. To me it is juuust right. Balance, weight, size of the 19 just seems to hit this happy place for a utility 9mm. For dedicated range or occasional competitive use, the 17 may have a slight edge, due to to increased sight radius, but other than that I tend to grab the 19 before I grab the 17 when heading to the range and definitely if I’m going to carry a Glock For the day.

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
I am actually selling my Glock 17 this weekend.

The smaller Glock 19 grip fits my hand better (as I stated in a previous post on this thread - it doesn't just have a shorter grip - the grip IS shaped a little different than the G17/34/45)

I am using the $$ to buy a small Shield Plus to pair up with my 4" Shield Plus.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think you cannot go wrong with a Glock 17 or a 1911 or both (Eventually). The 1911 in .45ACP really is not a punishing platform to shoot. 9mm and .45 use about the same powder charge which means overall energy is about the same.

When it comes to Glock I prefer the 19 over the 17, just based on “Goldilocks” factor. It isn’t tooo big. It isn’t tooo small. It isn’t tooo light, or tooo heavy. To me it is juuust right. Balance, weight, size of the 19 just seems to hit this happy place for a utility 9mm. For dedicated range or occasional competitive use, the 17 may have a slight edge, due to to increased sight radius, but other than that I tend to grab the 19 before I grab the 17 when heading to the range and definitely if I’m going to carry a Glock For the day.
Doc is right OP. The .45 ACP, running about 12,000 less psi than the 9mm Luger, is more of a "push" than a "snap" when it comes to the recoil. Plus, I bet that S&W 1911 runs about 15 ounces heavier than the Glock too...that helps tame some of that recoil. (You can also feel it if you carry it too!!!) With the right belt/holster combination though, a 1911 can be carried fine all day.

I like how S&W does the external extractor on their 1911's.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts