Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m very new to the gun scene. I inherited a WW2 Barrett’s 7.65 gun. It was a enemy capture gun (Nazi Soldier) during the Normandy invasion. I have been firing it at the local range and has been tons of fun. It comes with all the take home paperwork from my dad’s commanding officer.
Now, I would like to purchase a new gun to add my very small collection and was thinking about the Glock17 Gen5. The problem is that no one carries this model Glock. I checked the GlockStore in Nashville, BassPro Shops and many of the local sporting good stores. Since purchasing a new gun is completely new to me where do you all suggest I start?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I’m very new to the gun scene. I inherited a WW2 Barrett’s 7.65 gun. It was a enemy capture gun (Nazi Soldier) during the Normandy invasion. I have been firing it at the local range and has been tons of fun. It comes with all the take home paperwork from my dad’s commanding officer.
Now, I would like to purchase a new gun to add my very small collection and was thinking about the Glock17 Gen5. The problem is that no one carries this model Glock. I checked the GlockStore in Nashville, BassPro Shops and many of the local sporting good stores. Since purchasing a new gun is completely new to me where do you all suggest I start?
I'd suggest calling as many gun stores that are within a reasonable distance from where you live to see if they have any Glock 17's in stock. Or if you have a friend that has one ask if you can check it out and possibly try it out. This way you can at least handle one before you buy it. Of course if they don't have one in stock they could also order one for you. But you'll be much better off if you can at least handle one first. However you can't go wrong buying a Glock. If you've handled or fired one before and that's what you really want then why not have them order one for you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your input. I did a little research on the Glock 17 5 Gen and it seems like a great beginner gun. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Thanks so much for your input. I did a little research on the Glock 17 5 Gen and it seems like a great beginner gun. Thanks again!
BTW, WELCOME to the Forum!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
You're always welcome!
Indeed it is not only a great beginners gun but a great gun for anyone looking for a good reliable pistol that will last them a lifetime. Parts and aftermarket accessories are plentiful. However some people don't like their ergonomics or the way they look? But as a beginner you might want to check out other guns as well. Myself I prefer HK's VP series of 9mm pistols. For what it's worth I own both Glocks and HK's.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Hey Thanks. So…handguns cannot be shipped to a residential address…right?
Unless you're buying from a private seller if allowed by your home state and from a resident of your home state. All firearms must be shipped to a federally licensed dealer within your home state. From there they will do the necessary background (NICS) check and paperwork (Form 4473).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I was just looking at my FFL listings within my zip code area. So these are all legitimate places that will receive the gun and do a background check?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Ok I was just looking at my FFL listings within my zip code area. So these are all legitimate places that will receive the gun and do a background check?
As long as they have a valid FFL they will do a background check as they are required by federal law. You're probably better off having them order the gun for you. This way you can establish a relationship with them for most of your shooting needs. You might want to check a few of them out not only to see who has the best price but who you feel comfortable dealing with. Let them know that you're new at this and don't be afraid to ask questions as silly as they may seem. If they have an attitude shop someplace else. Most of them don't but there are a few. At least that's been my experience.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Buds has a listing of preferred
FFLs in your area. You can choose from their list at purchase. Around here the FFLs I ship to charge $25 for the paperwork to make the gun your property.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buds has a listing of preferred
FFLs in your area. You can choose from their list at purchase. Around here the FFLs I ship to charge $25 for the paperwork to make the gun your property.
[/QUOTE

Oh ok, I was curious how they made money doing this. I assume that their fee varies from place to place….

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Groverson, have you handled the G17 or shot one yet? Just curious. People seem to either love or hate Glocks....I love em'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No have never fired a Glock. I went around town and no one carries the G17 - not even The Glock Store.
Made me do some thinking. Maybe I should buy a "Made In USA" gun. I recently read that Smith & Wesson is moving to Tennessee.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Try to handle one and if possible, fire one before you buy. I bought a Glock 21 and really like it. I bought a Glock 17 and didn't like it at all. Just a personal thing.

·
Super Moderator
12,447 Posts
I have a Glock 17, 19 and 34. I have smaller hands... The 19 shoots the best for me and is my favorite. It fits my hand better... At least the latest 5th gen does.

The G19 isn't just a shorter grip. The "hump" on the backstrap is a little different. So, it isn't just a shorter version of the Glock 17 grip. It is a little different.

Great gun with factory Ameriglo sights. My Gen 5 Glock 19 is tied with my Beretta M9A3 for being my favorite 2 handguns out of all I own.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
No have never fired a Glock. I went around town and no one carries the G17 - not even The Glock Store.
Made me do some thinking. Maybe I should buy a "Made In USA" gun. I recently read that Smith & Wesson is moving to Tennessee.
Two of my three say USA on the slide, and one says AUSTRIA.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts