Handgun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a MA resident and have an LTC class A. I have a relative who lives in Maine and she wants me to store a handgun for her.

1) Can I legally store a legal firearm registered to another person from another state? (I have read that if an unlicensed Mass resident has firearms in their possession after the 60 day new resident grace period it is legal for them to let a permit holder keep them).

2) If the answer to the above is yes then can I: A) Legally transport that firearm in my vehicle and B) Concealed carry that firearm?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I am a MA resident and have an LTC class A. I have a relative who lives in Maine and she wants me to store a handgun for her.

1) Can I legally store a legal firearm registered to another person from another state? (I have read that if an unlicensed Mass resident has firearms in their possession after the 60 day new resident grace period it is legal for them to let a permit holder keep them).

2) If the answer to the above is yes then can I: A) Legally transport that firearm in my vehicle and B) Concealed carry that firearm?

Thanks
You'd be better off contacting the attorney generals office of your home state, state police, department of public safety or your state's handgun licensing bureau.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Yes, every state has different laws. It would be no issue here in TX. But up there, where there are ALL sorts of gun restrictive laws. Better ask MORE than 1 person.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Another reason to move to a free state. There is no way I'd live under those restrictive laws. Even here in Florida, things have gotten worse this year. They used to call us The Gunshine State. No more. Jerks in state legislation have been on the warpath. I'm considering Utah.

One thing I'd suggest. Whoever you talk to and how many, I'd note their names, position, and the date you got your answer/s. Write it down. It may not help, but it can't hurt to keep a record.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Another reason to move to a free state. There is no way I'd live under those restrictive laws. Even here in Florida, things have gotten worse this year. They used to call us The Gunshine State. No more. Jerks in state legislation have been on the warpath. I'm considering Utah.

One thing I'd suggest. Whoever you talk to and how many, I'd note their names, position, and the date you got your answer/s. Write it down. It may not help, but it can't hurt to keep a record.
That is too bad. I always planned to retire and move from Texas to Florida....

·
Registered
4,611 Posts

What's wrong with Arizona?

I've got nothing against Utah, it's great state, but you'd better be a Mormon. Nothing against them either, but they pretty much keep to their own. Almost 68% of the state's population are Mormon. It may be difficult finding and meeting new friends if you're not one of them. You need a concealed weapons permit to carry a firearm in public outside of your home in Utah. However they are "shall issue" permits. In Arizona permits are not required to carry either open or concealed, permits are optional for reciprocity with other states that honor them.

Mormons in Utah account for 67.70% of its population. A total of 2,065,808 Mormons live in Utah. Utah State is home to 16 Mormon temples, and the headquarters of the Latter Day Saints is Salt Lake City.---Mormons in Utah account for 67.70% of its population. A total of 2,065,808 Mormons live in Utah. Utah State is home to 16 Mormon temples, and the headquarters of the Latter Day Saints is Salt Lake City.---https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/mormon-population-by-state.html

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Why not have your relative give you the firearm as a gift.
Then, you are in legal possession of it.
Register it in your name, citing its origin as a gift, in Massachusetts.

Then it would be yours, to do with as you wish.

If your relative ever wanted it back, you could just give it to her as a gift.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What's wrong with Arizona?

I've got nothing against Utah, it's great state, but you'd better be a Mormon. Nothing against them either, but they pretty much keep to their own. Almost 68% of the state's population are Mormon.
Nothing wrong with Arizona, but I was born in Bountiful, Utah and have many family members there on both my mother and my father's side. Oh, and I'm a Mormon. I didn't realize we kept to our own. :cool:

When the Mormons were kicked out of Illinois, some of my family took the trek out to the Utah Territory, but a very few settled in Central Florida, eventually cattle ranching. My father lived here in Florida, but moved to Utah to go to medical school after the war. He was a CB in the Navy. One of my great grandfathers had a deal for his grand children where he paid for education and they worked for his construction company in Salt Lake. That's when I was born. When he graduated, we moved back to Florida. I was 1 years old. So, I'd have no problem fitting in and living there. I've visited family there all my life and had plenty come here to visit. I shot my first elk in Utah.

Besides, all the Mormons I know love their independence and love their guns. They have a history of not liking the federal government butting in on our rights.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Nothing wrong with Arizona, but I was born in Bountiful, Utah and have many family members there on both my mother and my father's side. Oh, and I'm a Mormon. I didn't realize we kept to our own. :cool:

When the Mormons were kicked out of Illinois, some of my family took the trek out to the Utah Territory, but a very few settled in Central Florida, eventually cattle ranching. My father lived here in Florida, but moved to Utah to go to medical school after the war. He was a CB in the Navy. One of my great grandfathers had a deal for his grand children where he paid for education and they worked for his construction company in Salt Lake. That's when I was born. When he graduated, we moved back to Florida. I was 1 years old. So, I'd have no problem fitting in and living there. I've visited family there all my life and had plenty come here to visit. I shot my first elk in Utah.

Besides, all the Mormons I know love their independence and love their guns. They have a history of not liking the federal government butting in on our rights.
Like I said Utah is a great state, and I have nothing against Mormons. If I ever meet someone I never ask what their religion is. It's not important to me. Myself? I'm not religious at all, religious services bore the hell out of me. Maybe it's because as a kid I got my ass dragged off to church when I'd rather be out raising hell with my friends? I don't know? Yeah, I do believe in "our creator" whomever or whatever that may be? I don't think we got here by accident, life and everything that makes up the universe is just too complex to believe that it just happens to be there by some quirk of nature.

However, I do live in Arizona, and as far as Utah goes I've only been to Mexican Hat once, on the Navajo Reservation. I'm only guessing? But I suppose Mormons have gotten a bad rap at least in Arizona because of Colorado City and it's neighboring Town of Hilldale right across the state line? People kinda' know enough to stay outta' there. I'm hoping that you don't take that personally but that's just how it is. Actually I'm more concerned about one's political affiliation than anything else. It doesn't matter to me what you believe or what religion you practice as long as you believe in Constitutional Law and the preservation of our Constitutional Republic, that's all that counts. If we lose that we lose everything. Freedom of religion or to be free of it is a cornerstone of our Constitutional Republic as well.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Remember too, You have to get the gun from Maine, thru New Hampshire, to Massachusetts. Each state has different laws.
If you don't get stopped, everything's fine.
If you get stopped, who knows.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Remember too, You have to get the gun from Maine, thru New Hampshire, to Massachusetts. Each state has different laws.
If you don't get stopped, everything's fine.
If you get stopped, who knows.
If you are given the gun as a gift, you (personally) do not have to transport it to your home in Massachusetts.
You can send any legal-to-own, legally-owned gun, from yourself in any location, to yourself in any other location. No FFL required.
Use either FedEx or UPS, by the cheaper overnight service.

It's in the BATFE regulations.
You can look it up, or, if you ask nicely, I could give you "chapter and verse."

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Like I said Utah is a great state, and I have nothing against Mormons. If I ever meet someone I never ask what their religion is. It's not important to me. Myself? I'm not religious at all, religious services bore the hell out of me. Maybe it's because as a kid I got my ass dragged off to church when I'd rather be out raising hell with my friends? I don't know? Yeah, I do believe in "our creator" whomever or whatever that may be? I don't think we got here by accident, life and everything that makes up the universe is just too complex to believe that it just happens to be there by some quirk of nature.

However, I do live in Arizona, and as far as Utah goes I've only been to Mexican Hat once, on the Navajo Reservation. I'm only guessing? But I suppose Mormons have gotten a bad rap at least in Arizona because of Colorado City and it's neighboring Town of Hilldale right across the state line? People kinda' know enough to stay outta' there. I'm hoping that you don't take that personally but that's just how it is. Actually I'm more concerned about one's political affiliation than anything else. It doesn't matter to me what you believe or what religion you practice as long as you believe in Constitutional Law and the preservation of our Constitutional Republic, that's all that counts. If we lose that we lose everything. Freedom of religion or to be free of it is a cornerstone of our Constitutional Republic as well.
Yeah, I've heard of Hildale and Colorado City. That's the FLDS church and has no affiliation with my church, the LDS (Mormons). They're into plural marriages and other things. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a polygamist but could care less if they want to. Seems to me, if liberals like having two men or two women to be married, they'd not get their collective panties in a wad over one man with two women or any amount of either hooked up.

In my church polygamy was practiced by around 20% of Utah members until 1890 when the church outlawed it. Today, any Mormon who practiced such a thing would be excommunicated. My family was there, but never practiced it. My great grandfather, Alfred Harding, was the Bishop of Provo City in 1890 and never practiced it either. Again, I have no beef with those who do, just that they aren't really Mormons whatever they call themselves. One of the advantages to plural marriage back in those days was that a lot of men were killed by the hard climate, work, Indians, and other things, leaving women and children fatherless. The bishop would call upon some men to marry their sister in law and take their children as your own if her husband died. It guaranteed care for widows and children without fathers. Not such a bad practice when done that way, I think.

I do like the Mexican Hat region for it's beautiful scenery and food. I simply love those giant blue Navajo Tacos I always get out there. I wish they had them here. I'm always considering to order Bluebird Flour from Cortez Milling and make my own Navajo frybread for the tacos. I'd also have to learn how to make authentic green chili. Yummy!

Homepage Bluebird Flour - Amazon sells it online.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of Hildale and Colorado City. That's the FLDS church and has no affiliation with my church, the LDS (Mormons). They're into plural marriages and other things. Personally, I wouldn't want to be a polygamist but could care less if they want to. Seems to me, if liberals like having two men or two women to be married, they'd not get their collective panties in a wad over one man with two women or any amount of either hooked up.

In my church polygamy was practiced by around 20% of Utah members until 1890 when the church outlawed it. Today, any Mormon who practiced such a thing would be excommunicated. My family was there, but never practiced it. My great grandfather, Alfred Harding, was the Bishop of Provo City in 1890 and never practiced it either. Again, I have no beef with those who do, just that they aren't really Mormons whatever they call themselves. One of the advantages to plural marriage back in those days was that a lot of men were killed by the hard climate, work, Indians, and other things, leaving women and children fatherless. The bishop would call upon some men to marry their sister in law and take their children as your own if her husband died. It guaranteed care for widows and children without fathers. Not such a bad practice when done that way, I think.

I do like the Mexican Hat region for it's beautiful scenery and food. I simply love those giant blue Navajo Tacos I always get out there. I wish they had them here. I'm always considering to order Bluebird Flour from Cortez Milling and make my own Navajo frybread for the tacos. I'd also have to learn how to make authentic green chili. Yummy!

Homepage Bluebird Flour - Amazon sells it online.
Indeed Utah is an absolutely beautiful state and I never believed that all Mormons are polygamists. Like you it doesn't matter to me whether some are or not. Mike Lee and Jason Chaffetz are two of my favorite politicians. Both are from Utah which says a lot about Utahans. Unlike the people of New York and California who love to elect petty little tyrants and social elitists. Who people vote for and put into power affects everyone's life regardless of their religious beliefs. Although religion does play a part in determining how some people vote. I certainly do not under any circumstances want to see Sharia Law imposed on us. I don't care for bible thumpers or those that try and force their religion on others. Believe what you want to believe and practice whatever religion you wish but leave all others the hell alone. The United States of America was founded as a Judeo Christian nation, which has served us well. Lets just hope we can keep it that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses. I will continue my information hunt. I have seen wording in the Mass laws that allow for a gun to be transferred from a relative to a Mass resident through inheritance. No wording on gifting though.

Mass has gun laws that are so restrictive. Don't ever move here if you can help it if you are a gun owner. They restrict the type of handguns sold here so you have few choices, and all must have a minimum 10lb trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I will continue my information hunt. I have seen wording in the Mass laws that allow for a gun to be transferred from a relative to a Mass resident through inheritance. No wording on gifting though.

Mass has gun laws that are so restrictive. Don't ever move here if you can help it if you are a gun owner. They restrict the type of handguns sold here so you have few choices, and all must have a minimum 10lb trigger pull.
Hey pal, MOVE! I don't care how good of a job you might have nor what family ties hold you back. Move. Get away from that slippery slope which will just get worse over time. Some liberals in some states are already going after freedom or speech and freedom of the press. Search and Seizure is already marginalized. Most liberals are tyrants and once in power like in Massachusetts, California, New York and New Jersey, it will just get worse. No matter what is keeping you there, overcome it. Bring your family but leave that entire mentality behind. You should feel rage over the way you're treated there.

So many leave those unfree states, but somehow bring a bit with them, wanting part of that mentality for their new state, and they often don't realize it. Example: I met a guy at my gun club who had recently left Maryland because of all the restrictive laws. We were talking about it and he said he detested Maryland's gun laws except the one required guns to be locked up. He said he'd push for that for Florida, his new state. I was shocked and suggested he move back. He failed to understand why I was so angry with him.

That 10 lb trigger pull is so typical of laws created by liberal politicians who don't understand firearms. They don't understand how excessive pulls can be dangerous to bystanders because it can contribute in making the gun harder to shoot accurately.

Also, I've asked many anti-gunners who want to ban so-called assault weapons what they think an assault weapon is. Often they say any semi automatic with one or more of a list of features. One of those features is often a barrel shroud. When asked what that is, they have no idea. I ask them to define an assault weapon without using cosmetic features. They can't do it. It's all just typical. What they want to say is, "any black scary gun they've seen in movies or games which can shoot 2,000 rounds per minute without reloading." You know, the guns which use those dangerous hollow point, armor piercing, heat seeking, incendiary boolits maybe with green tips. Those are the worst because they can stalk you, turn corners then go through anything.

There are plenty of states which are still free and have more reasonably tax rates. Move. Then you will no longer be funding that nonsense. Heck, here in Florida, we still don't have an income tax. The liberals have been trying of late to enact some stricter gun laws, but we're still free so far. We're still the "Gunshine" state.

·
Banned
215 Posts
I've heard it's so bad in mass that the mobs leaving!!! I got out of there rite after I came home from the USAF (72)... Been in Ga ever since. I was a kid when Ted Kennedy killed that girl on the island. Most of us thought he was done but the liberal fools who run everything up there didn't even flinch at it!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts