Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides a Glock, what handguns are issued to the police dept in your area?

All I ever see where I am at are Glocks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My agency issues the S&W 4006. A few of the area departments also issue S&W 3rd gens (various models). Another issues the SW99. One local agency issues Glock but allows the carry of S&W or Sig. Sometimes see an old timer with a wheelgun.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The Local Departments issue Glocks. Some Individuals that can carry what they want, carry other brands.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The locals here just changed from a S&W wheelgun (not sure which model) to the Berreta 96. I talked to a couple who were very happy about the switch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let me see..

Houston Police- Sig 229 .40, Glock 22, Beretta 96, unknown S&W semi-auto
Texas DPS- Sig 226 .357sig
Harris County Sheriff's Dept- I've seen different guns
Sugar Land PD- various guns
Pasadena PD- anything larger than a .38

Someone correct the list if I am off..

G

·
In my area they all seem to be compact 1911 style handguns. On another note I noticed once while talking with a cop in my area that the shotgun he had in the patrol car was a Mossberg 500. Made me proud to be a Mossberg owner. I thought all cops used only a Remington 870.

·
Super Moderator
12,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mossbergs are pretty popular too.

I used to have a Winchester 1300. I liked those a lot.

Interesting to see all the different types of weapons.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Local law enforcement all carry Glocks. Highway Patrol carry Sigs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My local department issues the Sig 2340 in 357 Sig. It is set up DAO. I would perfer a traditional DA but this gun will do the job. I think that the 357 Sig round is tops. Before we decided on it I took a chronograph and guns in 9mm, 40 s&w and 357 Sig and put all through their paces and was most impressed with the 357 Sig. It gave me at least 150 fps over the fastest 9mm +p round that I tried and the recoil seemed less than the 40 S&W. We turned in our P228 Sigs in 9mm. The department to our south issues the S&W 5946 DA 9mm and another adjoining department issues the Sig 226. in 9mm using Federal +p+ 115 gr. Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Members of the Chicago Police Department must buy their own weapons AND they must be DAO 9mm cal. pistols. The only acceptable brands are Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Beretta and Ruger. :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
I live in a smaller township of 11,000 people and our "Barney Fifes" carry 45acp Sig P220s. This is their choice and not mine; I feel a Glock 21 is a better weapon. How do I know? I owned a P220 yet I still own my Glock 21 and Glock 30. Sad to say but I feel Sig P220 and P226 pistols are overrated and over priced. Regards, Richard :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts