Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I use a lot of Bullseye and some Unique depending on what I'm loading. Which bullets are you planning on using and what are you using them for?

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
2,031 Posts
I recommend black powder cuz if ya pour it on the ground in a long line and light it....Sorry :-D

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
45 Loads

Here's a few that I use at in door range with 50' max to target.
200gr lswc, 4.5gr-win-231, OAL 1.226". Low recoil.
200gr lswc, 5.1gr-win-231, OAL 1.224". Heaver recoil but will do the job for paper pinching. In the range were shooting much more than that is a waste of good power. The light load is a favorite of the wife's and it still does a fair job. :shock:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Behind my 230 Gr. Golden Sabre HP bullets, I use 6 Gr. of Unique. They shoot good in both, my Wife's and My guns.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like 5.4 grs of 231 behind a 230fmj or plated bullet.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2400 said:
I use a lot of Bullseye and some Unique depending on what I'm loading. Which bullets are you planning on using and what are you using them for?
200 & 230 gr FMJ - Just plinnkin' ammo and an occasional 3-Gun, USPSA, IDPA match.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
jwkimber45 said:
2400 said:
200 & 230 gr FMJ - Just plinnkin' ammo and an occasional 3-Gun, USPSA, IDPA match.
With a 230 LRN I use, WLP and 4.0 gr Bullseye
With a 200 LSWC I use, WLP and 3.5 gr Unique
both are great plinking loads

I'll check my log and see what I used for 3 gun and making major.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Most of my .45 ACP loads were better suited to the revolver and built around Hodgdon's excellent HS-6 powder. I won't give you these loads as they are a little too stout for most autoloaders.

But Winchester 231 powder shines in the lighter loads used byautoloaders. It is a "quick" powder and with any decent load reliability is outstanding.

Most of my auto loads were for a Colt Gold Cup, shouldn't be used in lesser .45s, especially those with alloy frames. My Gold Cup, incidentally was set up for stouter loads, and worked O.K. in a friend's Hardballer.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Bob Wright said:
But Winchester 231 powder shines in the lighter loads used byautoloaders. It is a "quick" powder and with any decent load reliability is outstanding.

Most of my auto loads were for a Colt Gold Cup, shouldn't be used in lesser .45s, especially those with alloy frames. My Gold Cup, incidentally was set up for stouter loads, and worked O.K. in a friend's Hardballer.

Bob Wright
Do you have any specific loads with or without Win231 for your Gold Cup? What is a lesser .45?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Alloy or polymer framed guns, and autos with a skeletonized slide that exposes the breech end of the barrel, are "lesser .45s."

Not only is this true for the .45 but 9mm as well. If you will notice these guns, the barrel turns loose to just beyond the chamber up into the rifling. I've never seen anyone hurt when this happens, in fact, they didn't know the barrel had let go until trying to fire the following shot.

Alloy frames often crack around the hole for the slide stop pin.

I know that the Gold Cup, and similar pistols have a generous amount of steel in the chamber area, and are all-steel guns. Even so, Accurate Arms advised me not to use some of my loads in any pistol. These had been worked up in a Smith Model 625 and were safe enough in the beefy revolver cylinder. I don't remember the exact number now, but I want to say pressures were around 20,000 CUP.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
A quick check of SAAMI specs shows the 45 ACP at 21,000 PSI and the 45 ACP+P at 23,000. BTW my 1911 alloy frame has over 42K through it with no cracks. Every 1911 45 I've ever seen had the same amount of steel in the chamber/barrel.

JW, I found the data here you go.
200gr JHP---5.7 Bullseye, Rem 2 1/2 accurate and 942 FPS
200gr JHP---7.0 Unique, Fed 150 most accurate and 976 FPS
200gr JHP---10.0 Blue Dot, F 150 accurate and 966 FPS

230gr FMJ---4.8 700X, Rem 2 1/2 accurate and 887 FPS
230gr FMJ---5.0 Unique, F 150 accurate and 844 FPS
230gr FMJ---7.0 Unique, F 150 very accurate and 892 FPS

Start low and work UP to these. If you need anything else let me know.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Oh, No! It's frightening to realize that most of the folks protecting us locally and around the world have gone to the "lesser .45's" and "lesser 9mm". Then again, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Charlie,
With all due respect that wasn't my opinion. That was advice I was given by the representative of Accurate Arms, Harold Tidwell.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Bob Wright said:
Charlie,
With all due respect that wasn't my opinion. That was advice I was given by the representative of Accurate Arms, Harold Tidwell.

Bob Wright
With all due respect I thought it was good manners to give people credit when you quoted them.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As to blown barrels, I have observed one Star .45 in which the barrel blew out at the chamber. It blew out at the 1:00 o'clock point, taking out a piece of steel about 1/4" wide and maybe 3/4" long. The case was sectioned with the head still in place.

Another gun was a Llama .45 in which the chamber bulged and parted leaving an opening less than 1/16" wide and maybe 1/2" in length.

Recently saw a Barretta Model 92 (I think that was the Model) let go. The steel parted but just folded over, again the case was neatly sectioned with the head intact. I was watching as this one let go and had no idea anything had gone wrong. I didn't see or hear the ejected case, but this failed to register with me at the time. This was his duty weapon, he being with the Germantown (TN) Police Department.

I observed other blown .45s but most were from barrel obstructions and split at the muzzle. In each case above, the 9mm was factory, Remington, I believe, .45 Star was with military surplus ammo. Not sure about the other.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Bob,
Excuse me if I misread your post. I was referring to the statement you made aboutl .45's and 9mm were "lesser" guns. Also that alloy framed guns "often" crack. Some do and some don't. I'm not sure the stats are in on that yet. It would be logical that softer metals would not be as "strong" (although brittle metals crack quicker, as a rule) as harder metals. I think anybody's advice not to exceed SAAMI maximum pressures is good advice. That would be my advice. I guess I took a very small offense at the "lesser" part of your quote since we do depend upon our soldiers and law enforcement to protect us and our way of life with these weapons. When I was in the military 40 years ago, I never saw a revolver issued. I'm sure there were some, but they must have been scarce. I probably over-reacted but, I'll get over it.

All that said, if I was going to war or even to the streets as a law enforcement officer now, I would not under any circumstances consider a revolver. I own revolvers and like them. Semi-autos are not, IMHO, "lesser" guns.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Any time you load a cartridge too heavy for the chamber it is in, it is going to blow. I don't care if it is a revolver or automatic. I think it is kind of petty running down guns that serve the purpose that they were designed for, just because you don't like them. I'm just glad our Soldiers and Police don't have to use single action revolvers to defend themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I reload .45 only for bullseye competition. My current favorite load is a 185 gr. lead SWC over 4.1 grains of VV N310. The powder is incredibly clean compared to Bullseye.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts