Handgun Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a P-32 for years, but hadn't used it in a while. My wife took a liking to it because it made concealed carry easy enough for her. Testing it at the range, there were several problems. Here is what they were and how we fixed them.

The slide would lock open, and we couldn't unlock it, ending the use of that gun during the range time:

Answer: There are two potential problems, and we had them both. If the slide lock spring becomes weak, it can't push the slide lock down well at appropriate times. Ours was very weak and compressed (it is just a small loop of springy wire). You can order new ones from Kel-tec very cheaply, about $1.50 apiece. I bought 5, so I will never tolerate a weak spring again. Exacerbating the problem, if oil and gunk get down into the slide lock, it can become sticky and not move up or down freely. When field stripping and cleaning, you should use a fingernail on the ejector, which is part of the slide lock, and see that you can pull it up freely, and that it snaps back down crisply. If not, you need to remove the receiver and clean things up. The disassembly and reassembly needed to do this is a bit challenging, but if you do it 5 or 10 times, it isn't so bad. There are some good YouTube videos that show you how. Releasing tension on the hammer spring and putting it back is fairly easy once you see how. The most challenging thing is getting the sear moved forward to engage the hammer properly. You need to move the hammer forward and press the sear forward to engage it using a small long screw driver with a skinny shank from the rear of the receiver/frame, and hold the corner of your mouth just right.

Once that was fixed, we found that the slide would not lock open reliably. The problem there is that the plastic magazine catch wears down, which causes the clip to not be situated high enough for the magazine follower to properly engage the slide lock. Again, Kel-tec sells replacement magazine catches very cheaply, about $1.50, so I bought 5 of those too. Of course, replacing the magazine catch requires removing the receiver assembly, so you get to practice putting all that together again.

With those repairs and cleaning, the old P-32 is back into very reliable fighting shape.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Somebody used to sell replacement magazine releases for both P-32 and P-3AT, made from steel.
I bought one. It works perfectly well in my wife's P-3AT.

It was easy to install, too.
No, the receiver/chassis didn't need to be removed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts