Handgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might recall, my wife and I are house hunting. We are looking at both newer used homes and brand-new builds.

Some of the new builds have the on-demand water heater in them. I know nothing about them, be it good or bad. Before I do some online research, I thought I'd come here and ask some questions if any of you have any first hand knowledge.

The ones I have seen are quite compact. To me, it sure looks as if they do not have a holding tank of any kind or sort. I've asked the realtors about them, but their knowledge is quite limited. Most of the ones we've seen, have recirculating pumps on them. I suppose that's a good thing.

Anyways, I think I've heard that the on-demand units are quite a bit more expensive going in, compared to your standard gas-fired water heater. I'm thinking a price tag of over $1K. Also, is their service life longer than that of a typical water heater? Are they as susceptible to mineral build-up as a typical unit is?

Even though I'm retired and have all the time in the world, it drives me frigging crazy to turn the hot water tap on and wait for what feels like an eternity, for the hot water to show up. Does an on-demand unit deliver hot water faster?

Any pluses or negative aspects that I need to be made aware of? I like the idea that they take up way less space in the garage. I'm wanting as few appliances as possible in my garage. The days of a washer / dryer in the garage is going to be history. If I can get rid of a standing water heater as well, that would be even better.

Anyways, I hope that someone can / will chime in and school me some on the on-demand units. Any one brand any better than the others?

TIA!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I had 1 installed in my barn when I had it built. I have had good service for the last 14 years. Mine is propane heated and have hot water with in 30 seconds, since I am on well water it was recommended to have a second filter on the feed just for the water heater. I have changed out the water heater in my house to one also. In the house it does lessen the hot water when I have company staying over and several sources using hot water at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have ECOTOUCH ECO55 electric water heater for your home. The unit has well-modulated temperature control and the remote worked well for me. Very pleased to have bought it, heats up water fast.

·
Registered
513 Posts
On demand heaters are pretty good these days. Not sure if the longevity has been taken care of, but it seems some sort of sensor or thermal control had a habit of going bad. Haven't heard of that in a while, so not sure on that one.
I would suggest finding someone who repairs them and pick their brain. They can be more specific to the brand and tell you about individual quirks. Most mom and pop appliance places have someone who would be more than happy to take a few for you.
As for waiting, it is going to have to circulate through the water system of the house to get to the faucet. If it has a recirculating pump and moves water regularly that may be minimized, but what is in the pipe still has to go. Location in a central area helps that, but isn't always feasible. DOn't confuse tankless water heater and in line heaters, they are different, and I know nothing of the in lines, other than they exist.
Good luck on the house hunting. It is insane in our area, and all around. By the time you wrote the post 5 offers would have been made, most over list price. It's just stupid if you are trying to find something.
Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts