Handgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am guessing he will not do time. A fine at the most. The DA has stated that the shoot was justified and the DA is a pretty straight shooter. The perps were known felons and had stuff from his house and other thefts when they searched their homes. The guy is 65 and lives in a home with no running water, electricity. No car. The guy did the county and NYS a favor in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I am guessing he will not do time. A fine at the most. The DA has stated that the shoot was justified and the DA is a pretty straight shooter. The perps were known felons and had stuff from his house and other thefts when they searched their homes. The guy is 65 and lives in a home with no running water, electricity. No car. The guy did the county and NYS a favor in my opinion.
Don't be so sure of that.

In New York and across the country, gun laws have been in the spotlight. The NYPD has made it their priority to get illegal weapons off the streets and apprehend people who commit gun crimes. Any New York Possession of a Weapon Lawyer that defends weapons charges will explain that the current laws in NY state that if you are convicted of criminal possession of weapon (and the weapon is a hand gun), the consequences will be a 3 ½ year prison term. If you live in New York and own a hand gun, it is important to be aware that your gun must be licensed and registered. If this is not done, the weapon will be deemed an illegal firearm, which will subject you to arrest and criminal charges. If you have been charged with the possession of a weapon, it is important to contact the legal team at Stephen Bilkis & Associates, PLLC for advice and to ensure that your rights are protected.

New York is known as having some of the toughest weapon possession laws in the U.S. This is partially due to a new law that was enacted in 2006, the increased the sentencing for gun possession. Under the old law, the offense was a Class D felony. Under the new law, possession of a loaded hand gun is considered a Class C violent felony, which carries a minimum of a 3 ½ year prison term. This new law is often referred to as the PLAX rule.
https://criminaldefense.1800nynylaw.com/new-york-possession-of-a-weapon-lawyer.html

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
...the current laws in NY state that if you are convicted of criminal possession of weapon (and the weapon is a hand gun), the consequences will be a 3 ½ year prison term...
...Except that a real criminal will use that law as a plea-bargaining chip:
Perp-"I'll plead guilty to the burglary charge, if you'll drop the illegal-handgun charge. That'll save the state the expense of getting me into court for a trial. So, whaddaya say?"
DA-"Yeah. OK. Let's get this over with. I've got a case backlog you wouldn't believe."

Reactions: wirenut

·
Registered
504 Posts
The guy was released last night with no bail. There were a bunch of protestors outside the courthouse saying the he should pay for their deaths. Well he sort of did 2 45s and they took his pistol. He did the community a big favor. The protestors had signs and were chanting that the perps were "good people" and didn't deserve to be killed. Yeah good people my eye!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess all people that have firearms for self protection must also have an illegal firearm and when the perp breaks in you use said illegal firearm and then tell the da that you wrestled the firearm away from the perp and it went off.
Just make sure the perp can't testify..
Sorry that's the world we live in.
Cover your a$$

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
I guess all people that have firearms for self protection must also have an illegal firearm and when the perp breaks in you use said illegal firearm and then tell the da that you wrestled the firearm away from the perp and it went off.
Just make sure the perp can't testify..
Sorry that's the world we live in.
Cover your a$$
This is a really, really bad idea!

Fingerprints. Powder stains, Provenance.
They will all work against you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts