Handgun Forum banner

Not sure what happened here?

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mroland40330 
#1 ·
My brother brought me his S&W MP 9MM Shield after he cleaned it for the first time and I noticed something strange... but the problem is I cannot figure out how to fix it... so I come to the experts here. As you can see from the picture the recoil plug is sticking out... and the slide will not go all the back so I can lock the slide and move the level to see about disassembling it. It looks like he put the recoil spring and plug-in wrong (oval in the wrong location). He does not have the grip safety so that is not the issue. I believe it has to do with the recoil plug but I am not an expert with S&W (I have a sig myself). Any ideas of what to do to resolve this??? I know he loves this pistol.
Revolver Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you Pull the Guide rod Forward?
IF so Get a pair of Vice grips and some Painters tape. Cover the rod end with 2 layers of tape (no More). Grip the end of the rod with the Vicegrips over the Tape. Pull Gently forward and see if you can release your slide. If you try Hammering it in you'll screw up Mucho. I agree he probably rotated the rod when replacing the slide.
You may also try Rotating the Rod a tiny bit with the Vice Grips... Could be as simple as a misalignment

#4 ·
The rod is not seated correctly against the barrel. Try grabbing the rod and with a pulling and twisting motion, try popping the rod back into place against the barrel. If you can't do it with your fingers, put some masking tape on the jaws of a pair of pliers, and use those to do it....carefully. Not too hard to do. If you can't pull the trigger make sure from the mag well, push down the yellow lever. You should now be able to pull back the slide and finish disassembling the pistol after you get the guide rod in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.