1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another City Considers Banning Sale Of Toy Guns
Dallas May Also Ban Playing With Fake Guns In Public

POSTED: 7:00 am CDT June 26, 2006

DALLAS -- The Dallas City Council proposed a ban for the sale of realistic-looking toy guns.

The council's Public Safety Committee is scheduled to discuss the proposal Monday. The proposal may also outlaw children from playing with the fake guns in public and require gun replicas to be brightly colored or clear plastic.

The proposal is expected to be adopted later this month, The Dallas Morning News reported.

Dallas city Councilman Mitchell Rasansky and other city officials said a ban would help protect children and police.

The proposal is spurring debate over the issue.

The Rev. David L. Ferrell, pastor of a Dallas Baptist church, said that toy guns are being sold in the city, sometimes by ice cream truck drivers, and are easily confused with real guns. He said the fake guns are used in carjackings and robberies.

"We're just asking our city to enforce something that makes perfect sense and can save the lives of children," said Mr. Ferrell, chairman of a committee of Weed and Seed, a community service group supporting the ordinance. "We understand this is going to be an uphill battle, but we just want to do everything we can to stop the proliferation of violence in our community."

Some critics say the proposal would be hard to enforce and wouldn't stop accidental police shootings. One former police officer said swimming pools and bicycling without a helmet pose greater risks for children.

David Carter is a Michigan State University professor who directed a congressional inquiry into the issue in the 1980s. He said a person's behavior matters more to police than whether he shows a fake weapon.

"In nearly every case we researched (of an officer shooting someone who had a fake gun), I don't think it would have made a difference if there had been an ordinance in place," he told The Dallas Morning News.

According to the paper, similar toy gun ordinances have been recently passed in the Texas cities of Plano, Carrollton and Highland Park in recent years. Replica weapons are banned in Baltimore; Hartford, Conn.; and Akron, Ohio, The Dallas Morning News reported.

G

·
Why stop there? Why not ban super soakers because they can be converted to a flame thrower? Every single fake toy gun I have ever seen either has a bright orange non-removable piece of plastic on the muzzle or does not even look like a gun to begin with.

G

·
yep, land of the free... :roll:

When a city or state start banning toys, it's time to take a long hard look at the direction of this country.

Here's a thought... If you point a toy gun at a cop and you get shot...oh well, you're an idiot for pointing the toy at an armed police officer. Thought number two... If you arm law abiding citizens and a carjacker tries to take your car at "toy" gunpoint, the carjacker will be in for a surprise... Bang! I'm sure once word gets out that every law abidding citizen is armed, carjackings will become a thing of the past. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Shipwreck said:
Dallas city Councilman Mitchell Rasansky and other city officials said a ban would help protect children and police.

"We're just asking our city to enforce something that makes perfect sense and can save the lives of children ,"

One former police officer said swimming pools and bicycling without a helmet pose greater risks for children.
"It's for the children", wow am I tired of hearing that.

The former cop had it right though.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck, when I was a kid, we played w/ water guns and toy guns all the time. Now, if you even make a gun shape w/ your hand while in school - suspension or worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts