Handgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Administrator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW: SMITH & WESSON DEBUTS 22+1 ROUND M&P 5.7 PISTOL

A slim hammer-fired pistol with an innovative new rotary-locked barrel system, S&W's newest M&P series handgun is a 5.7.

Launched at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas this week, it is the company's first production pistol chambered in high-velocity, flat-shooting centerfire 5.7 NATO. Keeping svelte and trim via a polymer frame and a 5-inch barrel featuring Smith's patented rotary-locked new Tempo barrel system-- a lock-breech two-part barrel with a proprietary gas system-- the M&P 5.7 uses flush-fitting magazines with a standard 22+1 round capacity.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm not into 5.7, and I'm not starting a Glock vs. S&W thing here, but I am curious about the trigger safety - what I read talks about a "flat trigger", but there's a trigger safety mechanism, similar to what I'm familiar with on a Glock - so, it's a flat trigger when the trigger safety is depressed as ya fire the gun. In the pictures, the S&P safety looks more complicated \ robust than the Glock trigger safety, although it looks like it'd operate pretty much the same - I only have S&P revolvers - can anyone tell me how the S&P trigger safety is different than the Glock trigger safety?

· Registered
111 Posts
I have a Ruger 57. I can't imagine a softer shooting pistol (many .22lr pistols have more felt recoil than the Ruger 57.
Honest Outlaw states in his initial review that this S&W 5.7 is even softer shooting than the Ruger 57. That's really jaw-dropping to me.
I know the magazines for the Ruger 57 will work with PSA's 57 and I wonder if they will work in this S&W 57?
Regardless, it will be an interesting pistol to try out.

I am happy to see this additional pistol chambered in 5.7. While the ammo is still expensive, it is is plentiful in my area.

· Administrator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw 1 video where S&W claims the gun is shipping now. I checked with my local gunstore - they didn't even know the gun existed. So, it may be a little while before I see one in person.

I want to hold one, to see how I like it, before I buy one. If I do like it, I plan to get one.

I have smaller hands, and I remember the FN Five Seven pistol I had over a decade ago was a bit of a stretch for my hand... As the round is long, the grip is long (front to back).

As it is said that the S&W is the thinnest grip of all the Five Seven pistols, I want to see how it feels in my hand. Maybe that thinness will make up for the length of the grip. If it works, I'll have to sell a CX4 to pay for it :p

· Registered
111 Posts
I'm not into 5.7, and I'm not starting a Glock vs. S&W thing here, but I am curious about the trigger safety - what I read talks about a "flat trigger", but there's a trigger safety mechanism, similar to what I'm familiar with on a Glock - so, it's a flat trigger when the trigger safety is depressed as ya fire the gun. In the pictures, the S&P safety looks more complicated \ robust than the Glock trigger safety, although it looks like it'd operate pretty much the same - I only have S&P revolvers - can anyone tell me how the S&P trigger safety is different than the Glock trigger safety?
This S&W is hammer fired while the Glock is striker fired. That, in itself, makes the S&W mechanism safer than the Glock (IMHO). The S&W 57 is offered with a manual safety and without. The manual safety definitely make the S&W safer than the Glock.
The safety in the trigger is similar to the Glock but does not need to manipulate the striker for firing.
The S&W Shield family of pistols has the same/similar safety in the trigger.
The flat feature is standard on the S&W 57 but flat triggers can also be had for the Glock. Many people find the flat trigger easier to manipulate than the curved trigger.
HTH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts