Handgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federal 30 Super Carry. 30 caliber, 100 grains, 1,250 fps & I'm assuming that's from a handgun.

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
I just wish they would put the effort into making SD rounds for my 1911A.
Who on earth wants to gear up for another platform?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I just wish they would put the effort into making SD rounds for my 1911A.
Who on earth wants to gear up for another platform?
Yeah, I feel the same way. The past few years, I have been getting rid of a "hundred" different calibers. Got the handguns down to just three now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist? Yep.
Will it take off? Who knows, but Federal and S&W have the backing to market and promote it if they decide to.
Some are always looking for the next "big" thing. No way to know until you try.
The big problem that I see is a complete retool. New gun, ammo, dies, data, bullets. 357sig is a lone wolf for the most part on bullet weight. You can get just about anything you want as long as it is 125 grain. Some 147ish has come in for a while but never seemed to get a toe hold, probably for reason but I',m not a 357 Sig connoisseur .

Reactions: desertman

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist? Yep.
Will it take off? Who knows, but Federal and S&W have the backing to market and promote it if they decide to.
Some are always looking for the next "big" thing. No way to know until you try.
The big problem that I see is a complete retool. New gun, ammo, dies, data, bullets. 357sig is a lone wolf for the most part on bullet weight. You can get just about anything you want as long as it is 125 grain. Some 147ish has come in for a while but never seemed to get a toe hold, probably for reason but I',m not a 357 Sig connoisseur .
I've got some .357 Sig conversion barrels for some of my .40 caliber pistols. One of the biggest problems with the .357 Sig is excess muzzle blast and wear and tear on the gun and over penetration. It was designed to penetrate auto body's. Another issue is the cost of the ammo especially if you're gonna' practice with it. However because it's a bottleneck cartridge feeding problems are practically non existent. As for the Federal 30 Super Carry? I just don't see too many people rushing out to buy it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've got some .357 Sig conversion barrels for some of my .40 caliber pistols. One of the biggest problems with the .357 Sig is excess muzzle blast and wear and tear on the gun and over penetration. It was designed to penetrate auto body's. Another issue is the cost of the ammo especially if you're gonna' practice with it. However because it's a bottleneck cartridge feeding problems are practically non existent. As for the Federal 30 Super Carry? I just don't see too many people rushing out to buy it.
Yea. As good a round as it is, it just never took hold. It has minor success stories, one being Texas DPS, but really it never got past niche round. Kinda too bad.
I agree with the noise level and the percussion from muzzle. Some say they don't feel it, but i sure can from a long way off too.
Otherwise, others have to chime in. I always thought the 400 CorBon would do better, but it had limited magazine at the time, and the 10MM just outpaced it. Another bottleneck that just didn't get going, even though it was great. I wish I had one, but much like the Sig, it was pretty steep to buy in at the time.
Bottleneck pistol rounds just never have seemed to take a liking to the American gun culture.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Yea. As good a round as it is, it just never took hold. It has minor success stories, one being Texas DPS, but really it never got past niche round. Kinda too bad.
I agree with the noise level and the percussion from muzzle. Some say they don't feel it, but i sure can from a long way off too.
Otherwise, others have to chime in. I always thought the 400 CorBon would do better, but it had limited magazine at the time, and the 10MM just outpaced it. Another bottleneck that just didn't get going, even though it was great. I wish I had one, but much like the Sig, it was pretty steep to buy in at the time.
Bottleneck pistol rounds just never have seemed to take a liking to the American gun culture.
Yeah, it is too bad, mostly because of the more reliable feeding of a bottleneck cartridge. It really is a nice design. I believe that some of the old German Lugers used a 7.65 bottleneck cartridge? North American Arms also makes the .32NAA that uses a bottleneck 380 with a .32 bullet and the .25NAA that uses a bottleneck .32 with a .25 bullet.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
I had one of the lugers on 763 or 30 cal. shot good but ammo was hard to find and expensive for back then so I sold it off and got a WWI vintage PO-8 in 9mm luger

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have too many pistol calibers now. I also think the 7.62 X 25MM already fills this niche but way too hot for sub compact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts