Handgun Forum banner

New FDE Beretta CX4

6K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  dhdesrosiers 
#1 ·
I am still waiting on my optic and side rails to arrive. And, I still need Sierra Papa to call me back, so I can order another extended charging handle....

But, I just picked it up :D

See less See more
#3 ·
I am still waiting on my optic and side rails to arrive. And, I still need Sierra Papa to call me back, so I can order another extended charging handle....

But, I just picked it up :D

Looks like a lot of fun to me and that is a problem.:mad: Just kidding. I was unfamiliar so watched youtube to learn about the CX4 and thought I might need one for the wife to protect the homestead.

That was before I saw the Ruger PC9 which seems to be a good match for me since I have 9mm Glock mags of all sizes that will make it cheaper to own. The other thing I did not know is that the PC9 has a quick take-down feature which makes it a largish back pack gun. Buds has the CX4 for $800 and the PC9 for$560 so there is that to consider.
Either way, a 9mm carbine will be mine for Christmas and I will be Santa and the happy old guy getting the new toy.

Reactions: Shipwreck
#5 ·
Looks like a lot of fun to me and that is a problem.:mad: Just kidding. I was unfamiliar so watched youtube to learn about the CX4 and thought I might need one for the wife to protect the homestead.

That was before I saw the Ruger PC9 which seems to be a good match for me since I have 9mm Glock mags of all sizes that will make it cheaper to own. The other thing I did not know is that the PC9 has a quick take-down feature which makes it a largish back pack gun. Buds has the CX4 for $800 and the PC9 for$560 so there is that to consider.
Either way, a 9mm carbine will be mine for Christmas and I will be Santa and the happy old guy getting the new toy.
Well, be aware of a few things... I too was looking at the CX4 versus the Ruger carbine. I love my CX4. And, I wanted another 9mm carbine. I wanted one for a vehicle gun. But, I also debated about spending the extra money on the Beretta... Basically, I wanted another Beretta carbine, but didn't want to pay that much....

To me, the CX4 is better, because the gun is shorter and lighter than the Ruger. Also, some of the controls on the CX4 works like a handgun. The bolt release works just like the slide release on a pistol. Same with the mag release... I like the position of everything.

I watched a lot of Youtube reviews of the Ruger carbine recently. And, the cheaper cost of the Ruger was tempting. Now, while none of the youtube reviews report problems that I could see, I have seen many posts about people complaining (on other forums) about the Glock mag conversion not working well. But, after watching all the videos, I had been leaning towards the Ruger anyway. But, someone I know told me that he sees a lot of the Ruger carbines at competitions - and he has seen many of them choke when using the Glock mags conversion,

When I combined that info from him from some thing I've read on other gun forums, I decided to pass on the Ruger in the end. So, I sucked it up and spent the extra money for the Beretta.

I have tons of Beretta mags, and I am familiar with the gun already.

#4 ·
A good friend is purchasing an "overlap" firearm that has spent too much time in the safe for my liking. The proceeds will nearly cover the PC9 purchase so no harm, no foul, going to order the Ruger on Monday. Probably need to procure some more rounds to feed it. I guess I could have worse habits, but they might be less expensive.;)

#8 ·
I think Hi Point makes a pistol caliber carbine. They are cheap but I'm told they work. Anybody know of reliability problems with them?

Sam

Many, many years ago - I had a friend with one. His always worked. I have heard nothing but good things about them. But, it is a hi point. And, pretty much every gun I buy is a potential self defense gun. Despite what I have heard, I am not going to buy a hi point. Sorry.

Just like optics on a self defense carbine. I only buy milspec optics. The optic on my black CX4 cost almost as much as the CX4 does.

#10 ·
In Hickoks' first PC9 video, the gun failed continuously, n o matter the magazine or ammo. I was discouraged by that. In his second PC9 video the replacement PC9 ran like a champ. Very accurate and reliable. I may buy locally so I can easily get service on it if necessary.
BTW, the CX4 reviews were mostly very positive.;)

#12 ·
What optic are you going to get?

I have another Mepro 21 coming for this new CX4. Battery free, so it can deal with the 160+ temp inside of a vehicle in a Texas summer.

I have owned 7 Mepro 21s with the triangle reticle over the years. So, I am very familiar with them.

I have a Sig Romeo 8T on my black one. Only true milspec Sig optic they sell. It costs almost as much as the CX4 it is mounted on.

#13 ·
I have a dot sight in the archives that might work, but I will wait until I get it in my hands to see what the cheek weld feels and looks like. If my eye does not naturally align with the sight picture then I will find a setup that does.

#15 ·
I just pulled the trigger on the PC9. It is a takedown model with a fluted 16" cold hammer forged threaded barrel. I suppose it will be here in eight or ten days.
Speaking of optics I do have a very nice Leupold Vari-X 3x9 scope that is just back from a freshen up in Beaverton Oregon. Might get me by until I know what the gun wants.

#19 ·
I like the FDE color, gives it a whole different look. I too went with the CX4 because of its compact size and handgun like controls which makes it very easy to operate. I've had it for a long time, about 15 years and its never had any failures, so its turned out to be a great choice for a PCC.

Since I'm a south paw, I also like the ambi controls and the ability to easily move the charging handle to either side. Or, I actually added a 2nd charging handle so it has one on each side. Here's an old pic of it all dressed up, it no longer has the barrel shroud or laser attached. The Vortex Red/green dot has been on it for all 15 years too and has held up well. Mounted on the low rings allows it to co-witness with the stock sights.

#21 ·
I like the FDE color, gives it a whole different look. I too went with the CX4 because of its compact size and handgun like controls which makes it very easy to operate. I've had it for a long time, about 15 years and its never had any failures, so its turned out to be a great choice for a PCC.

Since I'm a south paw, I also like the ambi controls and the ability to easily move the charging handle to either side. Or, I actually added a 2nd charging handle so it has one on each side. Here's an old pic of it all dressed up, it no longer has the barrel shroud or laser attached. The Vortex Red/green dot has been on it for all 15 years too and has held up well. Mounted on the low rings allows it to co-witness with the stock sights.

I like the co-witness pic, reassuring to have a belt and suspenders. ;)

Reactions: Bullseye
#24 ·
I got my Sierra Papa extended charging handle in, as well as the side rails.

My optic should be in tomorrow...

My black one came with the full rail kit and stock spacers. When I compared the two today, I realized 1 spacer came already installed on my black CX4. To make them the same, I went and took one of the extra 2 spacers still in the box, and I put 1 on this FDE model.

Now, they are the exact same length....

I'll worry about the sling later, but eventually will get an Urban ERT sling for the FDE CX4 as well...

#25 ·
I happen to have an Olight Baldr Mini on hand that has served me well on another weapon that is going to get a trial run on my new PC9.
Baldr Mini Tactical Light & Green Laser
The optics are still undecided, but the wallet is not yet afraid.
I like the look of the CX4 in black more than the FDE but they both look pretty cool. At only 90 oz. unloaded they are a trim little package.
How do you rate the accuracy of the Beretta?

#26 ·
I happen to have an Olight Baldr Mini on hand that has served me well on another weapon that is going to get a trial run on my new PC9.
Baldr Mini Tactical Light & Green Laser
The optics are still undecided, but the wallet is not yet afraid.
I like the look of the CX4 in black more than the FDE but they both look pretty cool. At only 90 oz. unloaded they are a trim little package.
How do you rate the accuracy of the Beretta?
Yea, I like the size, weight and pistol like controls. This FDE CX4 is my 4th one, over the years....

I too prefer the looks of the black one. But, I got the FDE as a vehicle gun. And, instead of having 2 EXACTLY the same guns - at least 1 is a different color.

Accuracy? Not super fantastic. We have discussed this ad nauseum on the Berretta Forum for years.

My last one had a Mepro 21 optic on it. And, I had a SCAR 16S with a Mepro 21 optic as well. Exact same optic on both guns. I could do 1/2" groups with the SCAR at 50 yards. 2-3 inch groups were the best I could get on the CX4 at 50 yards.

I even compared them one after another on the same range trip before. If the Beretta's trigger was better, I might be able to shrink the group up a tiny bit. Not sure.

However - I have paid attention to the accuracy of many 9mm pistol caliber carbines over the years - to compare them to the PX4. They all seem to be around that range. I remember when the KRISS carbine came out - people were complaining about accuracy. Same with the 9mm Tavor. It just seems that you are not going to get "rifle accuracy" in a PCC.

Now, on youtube videos - some had the CX4 being more accurate than the Ruger Carbine, and vice versa. I think it is just what you prefer.

I know the CX4 controls and operation very well, as I have had so many. Like we talked about before - the price of the Ruger was more attractive. But, I know the reliability of the CX4 is pretty much bulletproof. And while the Ruger's takedown feature is ideal for a vehicle gun - I just knew I would regret not getting another Beretta if I bought something else.

#29 ·
It turns out that the Ruger PC is only six ounces more than the CX4, I thought the difference would be more. Of course I will add weight with accessories but it's not a concern for me in any case. "My" Ruger PC9 is going to be my better halves range toy and home skunk deterrent. She shoots my 10/22 very well so this should be natural for her.
I put a cheap Truglo dot sight on that was not being used along with an Olight Baldr mini green laser/600 lumen light on it and it shoots very well.
I am happy with the acquisition!

#30 ·
Well, I got my optic in today - a Mepro 21 reflex sight. This is actually my 8th Mepro I have owned over the years. I forgot how much I love this optic, since I have Sig Romeo 8T on my other CX4.

I like my Romeo 8T more than the Aimpoint T1 I used to have (the 8T is milspec, unlike most of the other Romeo optics). But, after getting back into the Mepro, I can say I like them better than any red dot.

My Mepro 21 has the triangle reticle. I laser bore sighted it at home, and then took it to the range this afternoon. All zeroed now. And, the new FDE CX4 performed beautifully.

Despite the extended charging handle, I decided to mount the Mepro further forward, as the triangle appears a little larger in the FOV that way.

I will say that there is some claim that this 3rd gen of CX4 has a better trigger. Dry firing it back to back with my black CX4 (2nd gen) - I really couldn't tell much difference. But actually shooting the FDE CX4 at the range? Yea, it is a little better. I can say that.

I zeroed it with Critical Defense 9mm ammo. By using that to zero, the POA/POI is about the same with WWB 115gr. On a CX4 I used to have years ago, I found that 124 gr Hydrashok and 124gr Gold Dot did not hit in the same place as the typical FMJ ammo I used.

Anyway - REALLY like the gun! I just needa get a sling for it eventually...

This was also the first time I ever used Mecgar mags in a CX4. I'd swear I read someone complaining about them in a CX4 many years ago. So, I just never got around to trying them. Today, I used a few 18 round mecgar mags, and they worked perfectly.

#34 ·
I did a 15 yard zero. Ballistically, for 9mm, it is a great zero. Not off that much even at 100 yards... See:

I used to zero my rifles for 50 yards. And, that is the distance I prefer to shoot at. But, I have to go to an out of town range, 1 hour away, to do that. And, one of the reasons I got the 9mm carbines was because I could shoot them at my local indoor range.

And, a 50 yard zero for 9mm is MUCH further off at 100 yards. 15 yard zero - you don't really start getting more than 1 inch off until you get past 80 yards. When I got my black CX4 in the summer of 2020, I started doing a lot of reading on what was the best distance to zero. If I remember right, I think the only better one than 15 yards was a 12 yard zero. Someone posted the numbers on a forum that I found when I was doing google searches. But, I didn't want to shoot that close all the time once I zeroed the gun.

Yes, shooting at 15 yards is very easy. It is more challenging at 50 yards, and that would be my preference to shoot. If the outdoor range wasn't so far away, I'd probably go with the 50 yard zero, even if it does drop like 8 inches at 100 yards.

#36 ·
I did a 15 yard zero. Ballistically, for 9mm, it is a great zero. Not off that much even at 100 yards... See:

I used to zero my rifles for 50 yards. And, that is the distance I prefer to shoot at. But, I have to go to an out of town range, 1 hour away, to do that. And, one of the reasons I got the 9mm carbines was because I could shoot them at my local indoor range.

And, a 50 yard zero for 9mm is MUCH further off at 100 yards. 15 yard zero - you don't really start getting more than 1 inch off until you get past 80 yards. When I got my black CX4 in the summer of 2020, I started doing a lot of reading on what was the best distance to zero. If I remember right, I think the only better one than 15 yards was a 12 yard zero. Someone posted the numbers on a forum that I found when I was doing google searches. But, I didn't want to shoot that close all the time once I zeroed the gun.

Yes, shooting at 15 yards is very easy. It is more challenging at 50 yards, and that would be my preference to shoot. If the outdoor range wasn't so far away, I'd probably go with the 50 yard zero, even if it does drop like 8 inches at 100 yards.
So I think the ballistic table shows an accurate depiction of how a 9mm projectile acts with the 1.5" difference between bore axis and scope centerline. It does not depict 2 3/8" difference as I suspect is realistic for your CX-4. And that is why I posted about buying the reflex sight for my PC9 on my PC9 post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.